Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:31 PM
KTaylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
yes it will get rid of the clunky broken cement truck mixer sound at idle - just try it
What do you reccomend raising it to? i have the fidanza flywheel and am having some issues witht that.

Also regrets as most people have said the nismo lsd sucks for daily driving. What do people reccomend if i want i want something that works good but isnt noticable for every day use?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 PM
808_FairladyZ

Alpha Werx Headers. It's a great product but took me and some friends about 6 hours to install. Problem is that if i go FI, i'll have to de-install headers and that thought makes me cring. I'll also need to send my factory exhaust manifold in for a coat of Jet Hot...if i go with the Turbonetics Single Turbo kit that is.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regret-

Kinetix Plenum V4 (melted)
Kinetix A arms (just plain suck *****)
Nismo CAI
Test Pipes

Glad I got
-JWT Everything
-AAM Plenum spacer
Old 11-27-2005, 11:24 AM
HK$FairladyZ

greddy twin turbo kit...SUCKS!!!

This kit is the worst quality I've ever seen, especially from a top brand like Greddy. I'll never buy anything from Greddy again. Or just stick to the stuff that is made in Japan, not Mexico.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:49 PM
esfand

oh and eibach springs
Old 11-27-2005, 10:25 PM
AParshall04

can you please tell us why you regret the greddy TT kit and when you bought it - i remember the first year it came out there were a lot of complaints but since then i thought greddy fixed a lot of the bugs.

Regrets: Helix Test Pipes - great quality, perfect fit, but 2.5" true dual exhaust with an X pipe linked to 2 HKS carbon/Ti 3" in, 5" out mufflers is so loud that my friends could literally hear my driving from over an entire mile away from their houses. I felt good gains though.

Alpine head units i bought last christmas, i dont remember exact model numbers, but one had a removable hard drive for MP3s which blew and the CD top unit got way too hot on trips from sac to SD. I have a cheap sony flip up monitor attached to a modded xbox with 5000 songs now and i absolutely love it more than any other audio set up ive ever seen (including those guys that think ipods are superior with alpine decks).

Infinity basslink T - has 3 10" subs in it and fits perfectly in the Z trunk with a built in amp. Sounded perfect for about 3 months, then something happened to the main center sub and now to get it to sound right the gain has to be turned to like 1/10 aka about 20 watts.

Stock clutch, stock flywheel, stock rims, stock tires, Stock enthusiast TCS(AKA fake LSD) - they all suck in general, and those stupid stock enthusiast rims and tires got me into a 540 degree spin out one night going downhill.

Nismo brake pads - they sound like they are worn out with that worn-out squeel until you break about 10 times and they are "warmed up."

Taking the plastic panels in the mid section off like 100 times so that now some of the plastic is either scratched on the outside or the snap in blue things are broken (if anyone has a link to a website that sells those blue snap in things for the plastic peices PM ME!)

US AMPS USA-1000 amplifier that was supposed to be a great amp and died after only about 2 months of light use. Supposed to be able to bridge for 1000w rms @ 2 ohms, it was running a Image dynamics 1000w rms @ 2 ohms sub and just completely died on me.

I Don't regret: JWT pop charger (first mod and i still love it), JWT clutch, JWT flywheel, Toyos, ADR M-sports, in car modded xbox + $400 on ebay sony, Image Dynamics Sub (check sig for model #), Carbon Creations nismo style carbon fiber front bumper (deflects bugs like nobodies business!), Custom true dual exhaust with 2.5" piping, in line high-flow cat/magnaflow x-pipe/2 HUGE HKS carbon/ti mufflers (turns heads like nobodies business and technically is legal with the cops for db tests at idle).

Plans: Turbo, some nice seats, fix the key mark some jackass left me, carbon creations nismo style side skirts and rear skirts (if they fit with my exhaust), finish my sound system with a jl 1000.1 and nazar w7 box and some new 6.5s in the rear.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:49 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Really only 2 regrets ..

1/ The BM short shifter .. version 1.

2/ My recently purchased Michelin PS2's. I should have just waited and run my BS S03's until next spring when BS is supposed to come out with a new tire replacement for the current JDM RE-01R.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:14 AM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by zrdude
[B]
Stillen exhaust. Sounds great, doesn't look as good as Nismo, but gave me some decent torque gains down low and around 3500 rpm. It rattles on my sways though, was expensive and is also very heavy. I'm sorry, but a $40,000 car with a $1200 exhaust shouldn't be rattling!

I'm neutral on the Hotchkis sways. Even at medium/medium they seem marginally stiffer than stock and the car still understeers and has noticable body roll going into corners.

I'm also neutral on the Hotchkis springs. The lowering is absolutely perfect, but they handle identical to stock, which is great if you are on a newly paved road, but crap on CA highways! Steering feel was definitely improved with the whole TVS kit though.
Ive heard nothing but good thing about the TVS and was considering it, I am wondering if anyone else had the hotchkis rattle on their stillen exhaust because I have one and like it. I would hate to buy the TVS and have it rattle.

I regret buying a grounding kit before trying to find out if it would actually work on my SC'd engine... stupid me. I dont even have most of the same connection spots anymore. Anyone want to buy a new grounding kit?

I regreted buying a lot of the small little mods that I didnt really need/use/notice that much. I'd rather have my 40 bucks x 10 back and buy something bigger.

Great thread, keep em coming.

Noticing a general theme of save for FI or save for one big mod. Its easy to buy NA mods because they are less expensive per piece and appease you at the moment.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 AM
Edogg218

Originally Posted by fairladyZ in Japan
My recently purchased Michelin PS2's. I should have just waited and run my BS S03's until next spring when BS is supposed to come out with a new tire replacement for the current JDM RE-01R.
I've never driven on the PS2's, but I did have the Pole Positions on my Spec V, and they provided unbelievable grip.

I thought the PS2's would be the cats ***...what is it that you don't like? I don't want to get them if they're not good...
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally Posted by Edogg218
I've never driven on the PS2's, but I did have the Pole Positions on my Spec V, and they provided unbelievable grip.

I thought the PS2's would be the cats ***...what is it that you don't like? I don't want to get them if they're not good...
Here is a link to my recent post.
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/146382-bfgoodrich-g-force-t-a-kdw-2-a.html

Also .. please check Tire Rack ... the reviews from some people in September regarding the retarded turn-in of these tires mirror mine. I and a few other people are in the minority regarding the handling of this tire -- but that's just my impression. I thought these tires were going to be the cat's meow after reading all reviews I could possibly research. Sadly .. the PS2 did not live up to my high expectations ..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+PS2
Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 PM
HK$FairladyZ

Originally Posted by AParshall04
can you please tell us why you regret the greddy TT kit and when you bought it - i remember the first year it came out there were a lot of complaints but since then i thought greddy fixed a lot of the bugs.
I bought the revised Turbo kit That Greddy put out at the end of last year. But fitment of the whole kit sucked. I had to clean up the castings of the manifolds. The piping, and pretty much everything in the kit knocked or rubbed on the engine bay. The directions sucked. I don't know why they tried to squeeze those big turbos and wastegates in there. Not to mention the ****ty Tial wastegates. I spent a lot of time fabricating a heat sheild to cover the fuel lines that so many people melted. Well the list just goes on. Bottom line...
I sold my car and picked up and Evo VIII

To tell you guys the truth I LOVE my new ride and I made the right decision. But I still like the FairladyZ. That's why I come back to the boards every now and then.

If I had to choose again, I would have gotten the Power Enterprise... You get what you pay for.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
KwanZito

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
I have regretted NOT SAVING MY FACTORY PARTS!
YES YES YES this was a big mistake for me, several times.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:28 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was regretting alot of it, but now it is all running good i couldn't be happier. the tilton semi street clutch through me for a loop at first, but am getting used to it now and have grown to love the way the car shakes on engagement, lol. still have a tough time from not spinning on take off in the wet though. but i blame alot of that on my nittos being the worst wet tire i have ever driven on.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by fairladyZ in Japan
Here is a link to my recent post.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146382

Also .. please check Tire Rack ... the reviews from some people in September regarding the retarded turn-in of these tires mirror mine. I and a few other people are in the minority regarding the handling of this tire -- but that's just my impression. I thought these tires were going to be the cat's meow after reading all reviews I could possibly research. Sadly .. the PS2 did not live up to my high expectations ..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+PS2
I just recently installed a set of Michlins PS2's on my car and I love them. I will say that I haven't had an opportunity to really put them thru their paces, but I don't generally run my car all that hard anyway. These tires also work great in the rain. I will say that they're a lot quieter than the stock Bridgestones.

My only other mod is the pop charger. Well worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:36 PM
chimmike

Originally Posted by froggy
From a performance point of view, I have bolts on (Crawford cats,Megan y-pipe,Invidia N1,Kinetix plenum,UR pulley,Pop charger in the Stillen airbox) and I can't gain 1 inch behind my friend stock Z at the track, even in straights...I shift ok,change gears at 6500rpm...Disappointing!
Maybe he owns a fast one from factory.For each modification my Z felt better but after a short while, either I got used to these mods or the ECU retarded timing and everything. I can't get a reflash like the one you can get from technosquare and nobody here seems to know how to adjust those piggyback.

Thank you for reading through my poor english
keeping the pop charger in the stillen box is probably killing what gains you might have been getting....the pop charger needs freer air flow...and more air to suck in. Also as was suggested, unplug the battery.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Great thread!

Originally Posted by MAdooid
This is great info. Keep it coming.
I AGREE 100%!!

Although it's a shame to hear about the many expensive MODS that seem to deliver nothing but major disappointments – honestly, this MOD thread is EXTREMELY informative!!! Thanks to all for your valuable contributions!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:16 PM
pearlcoupeg35

I regret getting Tein H-techs. They are fine - arent "bad" in any way, i just wish i had the patience to hold off for the Tein Flex with EDFC. My car would have been lower and the edfc is just sooooo cool too. And the overall ride quality of the Flex over the H-techs is a biiiig difference. Oh well....at least they were only $149...

I also regret the big body kit and paint and fenders i got. Cost me a fortune by the time i sourced all the parts, paid shipping, got them fitted and painted....i could been sooooooooo close to a Single Turbo right now!!! But hindsight is 20/20 and my car does look real hot so im cool...

Otherwise, i love my mods. Esp my TVs - never have i got some many stares in my life! And girls loooove it too ~
Old 11-29-2005, 06:20 PM
BlackSpec02

I agree with that a LOT... the body work part.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:29 PM
lunartick13

No regrets on any of my mods, I am thinking of dumping the OEM 17" wheels for some lighter ones 18" and replacing the harmonic main pully with the UR ...if you been there and done that, any regrets?
Great Thread!!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:03 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
I regret buying a grounding kit before trying to find out if it would actually work on my SC'd engine... stupid me. I dont even have most of the same connection spots anymore. Anyone want to buy a new grounding kit?
How much for the Grounding kit?

Quick Reply: REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?