Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nismo LSD - it's just to annoying for a street car...
Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

general theme seems to be people go out and buy race parts and then complain that they make some sort of noise or whatever
Old 12-27-2005, 02:43 PM
BlackSpec02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, its just the typical case that you need to figure out what your cars primary purpose is and then stick to it. I bought motor mounts for my SE-R and hated the vibration, loved the loss of wheel hop, but eventually took them out because my car was my daily driver.

Everybody wants the best of both worlds. Race and Street.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:53 PM
UrbanTacticZ

I think it's hard to get the best of both worlds, "race and street."

A lot of times another problem seems to be that people don't want to spend money so they end up buying cheaper parts. In the end, they regret buying the cheaper things, sell it, save up, and buy the original part they should have purchased in the first case.

I see this scenario all the time with my customers even though I suggest to them that they are better off saving up a little more and I will take care of them on the more expensive item. I don't sell or endorse things like knock off body kits and cheap carbon fiber hoods just for this purpose...consumer protection. As much as I would like the extra few $$$ from having the sale, I don't think its worth customers having to go through that mess of buying things twice. Afterall, we own Z's and G's right? If we are going to do things, we should do it right, we're not punk civic/integra owners (no offense intended) but I am sure you know what kind of people I am talking about.

I totally agree with what BlackSpec02 said, "You need to figure out what your cars primary purpose is and then stick to it."

If you're not going to track your car, and you care about noise, then maybe you don't want to buy KAAZ or Nismo LSD if you can't handle the noise. This is the reason why I suggest ATS LSD because they seem to be quieter during operation but they can also be a little more money. Or maybe, no LSD at all...I mean in the end if you're not going to track then there isn't really a point of installing LSD. Save the money and use it for something else =D

Figuring out what you want will save you a lot of time and money =p

Last edited by UrbanTacticZ; 12-27-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

regret that i throw out $4500 for the new set of 20". I should keep my 19" and use that $4500 for the super charge...oh well...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubble
regret that i throw out $4500 for the new set of 20". I should keep my 19" and use that $4500 for the super charge...oh well...
What would you have if you keep the stock wheels & tires? Not a fan of spending high dollar on wheels and tires. Just my $.02
Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 PM
MagicPie

Sweet Thread, Iam not going to mod my Z nearly as much as I originally inteaded, appears nothing really worth doing when your Z's primary use is a daily driver.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by Robert_K
What would you have if you keep the stock wheels & tires? Not a fan of spending high dollar on wheels and tires. Just my $.02
APS TT. or down payment for Z06
Old 12-30-2005, 10:03 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by MagicPie
Sweet Thread, Iam not going to mod my Z nearly as much as I originally inteaded, appears nothing really worth doing when your Z's primary use is a daily driver.
There actually are a lot of good mods, problem is, as this thread illustrates, there are even more bad ones.

For instance the mods I (me personally) would not go without are my shift ***, because it's shorter than stock and does not get hot in the sun. My Nismo exhaust, MD plenum spacer and Injen intake (although I would run a popcharger in it's place) don't change the drive ability but add a bit of power and bring the Z to life, while my audio and carPC make inhabiting it oh so much better.

Like it says above, remember what you use your Z for and do you research and you can't go wrong.

Chris
Old 01-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

What high flow cats are you useing?
Originally Posted by jreiter
Mods I regret:
Nismo exhaust with high flow cats. Exhaust looked and sounded fantastic with the high flow cats. However, that combo droned way too much on the freeway. (Yeah yeah, I guess I'm overly sensitive to droning.) Made long road trips completely unenjoyable for me. After trying many different combinations and spending too much money, I ended up with the stock exhaust and high flow cats. Still sounds good at full throttle, and has zero droning on the freeway. I wish I had just done that to begin with.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:26 AM
PoWeRtRiP

the biggest mistake i made was even trying to mod a na z. i upgraded my model to a better platform (evo8) to meet my needs for power. im aiming for a reliable 350 whp without having to spend 5-7k in a turbo kit and misc extras.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
the biggest mistake i made was even trying to mod a na z. i upgraded my model to a better platform (evo8) to meet my needs for power. im aiming for a reliable 350 whp without having to spend 5-7k in a turbo kit and misc extras.
Becareful with the Evo 8. I found it to be a fun car with lots of power to spare. But the drivetrain is really weak. With less than 30k miles I replace the clutch & front diff.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:48 AM
350Z007

Becareful with the Evo 8. I found it to be a fun car with lots of power to spare. But the drivetrain is really weak. With less than 30k miles I replace the clutch & front diff.
+1 I modded the crap outta my Evo and then found it to have a very weak tranny and Mitsu service sucks.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
froggy

Deleted

Last edited by froggy; 01-03-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 AM
froggy

What high flow cats are you useing?
I answer for him(jreiter) :Kinetix

Last edited by froggy; 01-03-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
hah you're probably going to poke at a few people the wrong way with the term "upgrade".

Better modding platform? yes I agree.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best thing to keep you from having regrets is to have a clear goal to reach with your car. whether it be drastic weight reduction, fast streetable car, non-streetable race car, etc. Having a goal keeps you from buying things that dont fit the purpose. For example, if you were making your car a purposeful race car, you wouldnt care about the noise caused from ripping out every single interior panel, pulling out the passenger seat, buying lightweight rims, and ultralight flywheel and racing clutch. Nor would you regret the money spent on buying carbon fiber factory replacement parts. A clear set goal is a MUST to keep you from having regrets.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
MySunset350Z

i regret getting my lambos done by idiots the first time around. messed up my panels, a pillars, and fenders.

i regret the amount of money i've spent on lambos. im almost done paying on getting the first install problems fixed.

i regret having a nissan dealership install my modified torque converter for me. 4 months of problems and thinking i was out 1k plus needed a new torque converter. it turned out they didnt torque the bolts down enough. 3 bolts were loose and 1 completely fell out.

i regret not getting my torque converter modified to its full potential. i had it tweaked for nitrous use meaning it has about the same performance when im not using nitrous. however i did gain .6 tenths over my best nitrous run with the TC mod. still regret it though since i use nitrous maybe 5-6 times a year in the summer.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:41 PM
MarquisDeSam

I regret not making up my d#mn mind in the first place. First i wanted a track car, then a show car, then a track car again... went through 4 sets of wheels that way (all Volk). Finally decided on a street car that'll perform well.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:43 PM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
hah you're probably going to poke at a few people the wrong way with the term "upgrade".

Better modding platform? yes I agree.
its ok, i dont mind the flames. especially since i have more experience modding an na z than most of the members of this board. i had all the boltons and tuning done, with a jwt flywheel/clutch. it was nowhere near where i wanted it to be. with a tbe on my evo im much happier than i was with the z and its so much easier to get power.

i love the z for what it is, it just wasnt quite what i wanted it to be without adding a lot of money to it. i really love the results the FI guys have been getting.

Last edited by PoWeRtRiP; 01-03-2006 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?