Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 AM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?

Just like the thread states i know we have alot of people selling old mods and stuff. What have you done to your z and then regreted or changed. Could be a good database for others.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:28 PM
JKDman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One mod i did and un-did the very next day was the short shifter mod.
I had a nismo GT Ti **** on a stock shifter.

After i went to the Rogue Short Shifter, i had much harder time shifting.
Required a lot more effort.

Some others actually like that extra *FIGHT* from the shifter.
However, i think it's only best if you have the STOCK **** or something longer than the NISMO GT Ti ****.

The GT **** with stock shifter is awesome.
The Stock **** with Rogue shifter is great.
GT **** and Rogue Short Shifter was a bad combo for me.
So i got rid of the Rogue and put the stock shifter back on.

Now i have Stainless Steel **** fabricated by THX723 and Sharif.
Best shift **** ever. Period.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:19 PM
g356gear

I put a KAAZ lsd in my car.....changed it after a couple months. It was extremely annoying for a daily driver. It worked great but just was too much. I swapped in a stock viscous lsd rear end and couldn't be happier. I have been hearing good things about the ATS carbon LSD recently. I hear they are very quiet during operation but still very effective.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:39 PM
ReavTek

I also hated the short shifter (B&M). It really made it a ***** to get into gear and I would grind gears sometimes. After driving my friends Hachi-Roku I think I actually want a taller shift lever, maybe 2-4 inches taller! Does anyone know where I could get this?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
wren57
Banned

I regret nearly all of my mods, sadly. I've redone my audio system 3 times, but this time it will be perfect. As for interior, I wish I had just gone with black suede racing buckets... and I wish I had saved money for FI instead of spending it on NA mods...
Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My sparco's as they would rub on my doors and make this sqeaking sound. I also regret the Invidia N1 old exhaust since it was too loud and would get annoying trying to hold a conversation in the car.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:48 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Dome light bulbs...
Vinson group buy bulbs, looked white but dark as they were only 5w
then replaced them with 6pack led bulbs off ebay $5 each, they are white but the don't dim like the incandescents do (because they are LEDs) and it seems harsh also, when the headlights are on, they LEDs come on real dim, like they are getting feedback voltage or something.
The stock bulbs are going back in soon.

Injen oil cap (similar to many other aftermarket caps)
Gets hotter than *beep* and is hard to unscrew, even when cold. Looks nice though. It's also still one the car but after the next oil change, it may end up on the shelf.

Injen straight tip exhaust
Looks great, build quality is great and sounds excellent driving away on someone else's car. It just was not for me for various reasons I would rather not go into here.

Chris
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 PM
gatti-man

I havent regreted any mods on my z yet (bc there arent many) but i learned the hard way about unsprung weight on my first real sports car in o1 (2001 SVT cobra). Bought these 19" chrome rims and wondered why my handling went straight to hell. $2500 for tires and rims down the drain lol.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Z BOY

evo short shifter (very noisy) and the whole na approach to making more power (negligible gains).
Old 07-11-2005, 04:15 AM
neffster

(bad mods)

JIC Y-Pipe. Paid $450-ish about a year ago, waited 16+ weeks for it to be delivered from Japan and felt squat! Didn't do a post dyno, but no audible difference, no gain on the butt-o-meter and makes me wished I'd had all my money back.

RT H/F Cats. Need I say more...

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have not spend $1 on NA mods and would have just slapped on a Vortec S/C.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:25 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I regret getting my AEM intake-it didnt work well with the Crawford plenum.

Lately Ive been regretting getting the JIC coilovers-the "soft" ones with the progressive rear springs. At the limit handling is scary, and gives me no confidence to drive harder. Im really getting sick of the rough ride with no real reward-plus the suspension is so stiff I dont get good launches at the track, so Im going with a softer set-up (for weight transfer), should of thought of drag racing before I got them

Also regret getting this Nismo shifter I forgot the name of, it was kinda tall, the black anodized finished was garbage, and after a few months it wore off. Now I have the Nismo GT black rubber and I love it.

I also regret getting the ARES parking light LED's, in the daytime you cannot see them, and only when its fully dark do they look 1/2 way decent. When its getting dark and you turn them on they dont light up my headlights, you can just barely tell they are on. Regular bulb white bulbs would work better, than the LED's in this application.

I also regret getting the Kinetix camber AND traction rods, I shoulda just gone with the toe bolts, and camber arms from www.iapdirect.com in the first place.

Now that I have a Turbonetics kit on the way, I regret spending $600 on the Technosquare ecu-although I coudlnt be happier and praise Technosquare enough for how well it tuned my car.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:52 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
I havent regreted any mods on my z yet (bc there arent many) but i learned the hard way about unsprung weight on my first real sports car in o1 (2001 SVT cobra). Bought these 19" chrome rims and wondered why my handling went straight to hell $2500 for tires and rims down the drain lol.
LOL. I did the same thing on my 96 Cobra. Not chromies, but 28lb-30lb 18"ers. The car went numb and everything I felt from the suspension from that point forward seemed like a delayed reaction. I don't think that crowd considers weight reduction as a viable performance option. Needless to say, I'll never make that same mistake again!

On the Z...I kinda regret getting the raspy HF Cats. I think I would have rather put that $$ into a Borla TD exhaust. And the Topspeed headers collector welds aren't the greatest, so in retrospect I would've spent extra money on the DCs...much better quality.

Last edited by 350Zenophile; 07-11-2005 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:20 AM
EM-EFER

Amuse ti exhaust. Paid $2100, Best sounding exhaust I have heard. But no gain. I dropped 21 pounds off of the original stock exhaust. Going up forsale this month.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:49 AM
DrVolkl

My Injen SES straight tip (the first model) exhaust. I put this on my car, and with test pipes, I had the loudest machine in the world. I don't like being that obvious to everyone...so that exhaust came off after two weeks and the greddy evo2 replaced it. Never looked back.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:12 PM
MADooit

This is great info. Keep it coming.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:27 PM
baileyrx

all my previous engine mods....

(z-tube,pop-charger,pulley,test-pipes,small NOS kit)

they were all fine, but never gave me the FIX I was looking for.

I shouldn't have inched my way along or "nickel & dimed it"

I should have just been alittle patient, saved up some money & gone FI from the start.

If you have the fever..... watch out

Last edited by baileyrx; 07-11-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:35 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regret not jethot coating my crawford headers - they overheat the clutch fluid on the track

I regret a lot of my NA mods in a way - the 3.9 gears are awesome, but gotta pull them out for FI

I regret the nismo LSD and wish I got the Cusco RS instead or that the ATS LSD was available at the time

I actually regret the tilton street clutch. It's nice, but the trade offs have really made it not worth it in my case. And gotta switch it out for FI

regret the TS ECU flash. I'll just be ditching the flash back to the limited spec flash for FI
Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Fletch69z

Hood spacers. They work great and I love the performance but I have 3 people every day tell me that my hood is popped or ask "what happened to your car?" Haha, too bad...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:47 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Edogg218

Originally Posted by g356gear
I put a KAAZ lsd in my car.....changed it after a couple months. It was extremely annoying for a daily driver. It worked great but just was too much. I swapped in a stock viscous lsd rear end and couldn't be happier. I have been hearing good things about the ATS carbon LSD recently. I hear they are very quiet during operation but still very effective.
+1, but with Nismo LSD

Quick Reply: REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?