Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove Subaru BRZ and a 370Z, opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Cmoroney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah70
They already revealed that the new Z will be coming out right after the new Maxima and they said they'll be releasing the IDX to compete with the 86. They can't kill the Z, it's like Japan's iconic sports car just like how America's iconic muscle car is the Mustang. Reason why the 350 did better than the 370 is because the cars were born in two different eras where the economy was different. If you look at the sales for the HR Z33's which came out during the financial crisis you can see the drop off which spread to the 370.

Carlos Gohsn will have to pull off something big again like what he did when the first 350 was born. I think they should kill one of their other cars in the lineup (cough, juke) that is doing terrible in sales. Not to say that a lot of other manufacturers aren't taking a hit (look at fiat pulling the SRT Viper because of poor sales). They do need to create something fresh like when the 350Z came out on the scene but still keep the qualities and unique design that pays homage to the original Z that everyone loves so much. FR Layout, 6 cylinder and that nice side window and rear quarter panel curve shouldn't be altered because that is what draws people in. I think they need to create a twin turbo variant with the engine borrowed from the Q50 and bring back the (370ZX or whatever the next fairlady will be called) but with limited production of the ZX models to test the waters and slightly limit production of the less expensive NA models to cut cost.
+1 If only people like you could be in charge of designing and producing the next Z.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmoroney

+1 If only people like you could be in charge of designing and producing the next Z.
I wish I could get the opportunity to work with them too. They could also do something revolutionary and create a hybrid Z like the McLaren P1 or the Porsche 918. Lower the engine size to 3 liters or just use an even more updated version of the VQHR instead of making a whole new engine which will cost more money. Get it to rev higher to be light, have the electric motor provide the torque where ever the gas motor lacks it. This could also be another option besides the twin turbo.

3 different versions of the same car, a NA base model that is cheap and affordable that sticks very closely to the traditional sports car, the hybrid version will be a "test the waters model" with a bump in power, less emissions because of the small electric motor and a twin turbo ZX model at the higher end comparable to the likes of the recent Shelby GT500.

The two experimental models will be Trying to stay below the 60k mark so it can cut into the sales of other cars people are buying for few thousands more like the Porsche cayman, the new boxster, corvette, M3 coupe, and the GT500, corvette all as targets and rivals for the hybrid Z and ZX models while the base has it's normal rivals and the IDX having a dogfight with the 86 triplets and genesis coupe. The problem with the ZX is that it will start to threaten the GTR so the GTR will have to also get a bump in power or lose some weight to increase performance even more but price stay below it's rivals like the R8, Gallardo etc.

Last edited by Jah70; 03-29-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:24 AM
Jah70

Nissan has to do something with the Z quickly though. With Toyota gearing up to release the new Supra and with them suggesting they might put it in the price range of the Z but with more performance that might be the final nail in the coffin for the fairlady as we know it. The NSX and new supra will also probably kick the GTR off it's perch if they are priced less and offer the same performance. It's like the clash of the Japanese titans of the 90s again.

At least with the heavy competition maybe they'll stop jerking off making silly cars like the juke or rogue (same thing as the murano) in their free time or expanding the infinti line (which isn't doing too well either). We'll see the Z get reworked and with the benchmark rivals they had in 2002 with the Z33 which were the M3, boxster and Mustang GT. All of which currently left the 370 in the dust in performance and sales numbers. It's a shame I see more Porsche boxsters and cayman than 370z's on the road.

Last edited by Jah70; 03-29-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 AM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great ideas from Jah.

Unfortunately I think alot of the limitations come from the way big manufacturers use the same platforms for multiple vehicles, to help with engineering, tooling, and manufacturing costs.

I think I read somewhere the next gen Z is gonna be on the same platform the new Infiniti Q50 is on?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Jah70

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Great ideas from Jah.

Unfortunately I think alot of the limitations come from the way big manufacturers use the same platforms for multiple vehicles, to help with engineering, tooling, and manufacturing costs.

I think I read somewhere the next gen Z is gonna be on the same platform the new Infiniti Q50 is on?
Yeah. That is a big part of the Z's problem. It's sharing the same platform as a sedan. They are doing this with other cars and are basically making the same car with different badges. Besides introducing a twin turbo or a hybrid they could also make the Z it's own car so it doesn't inherit the weight problems. The weight is it's biggest problem I feel.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM
NismoDude

Agree.

Every lightweight car I have ever driven has been a blast to drive, although most were short on power - Miata/MX5, MR2 Turbo, S2000 - all handle like go karts.

I love the power of my Z - enough to have fun, but not over the top (my buddy just bought a 2009 Corvette ZR1 I'm itching to test drive, but I'm thinking that much power would be easy to put the car in a ditch), but I wish it weighed about 400 lbs less.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone said the 370Z was a flop? Well it did debut during the recession like other said which hurt it but it has done ok. The M3, Porsche, and Mustang GT were mentioned "leaving it in the dust". Hardly. M3 $78K, Cayman $65-$100, GT is $35k. The M3 is the largest performance gap. I couldnt afford it. Nor a Cayman. I bought my '13Z for $37K. Do you not think i test drove a GT and would have bought it? Obviously I could have. Other than a gap in straight-line speed, and its not ALL that much faster, it is but youd be surprised how hard a 370Z pulls. I chose the 370 for the intimacy of a 2 seat coup, a mixture of power and handling and style. FWIW, Z35 is going to be hybrid. And its going to be AWESOME.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebase99
Someone said the 370Z was a flop? Well it did debut during the recession like other said which hurt it but it has done ok. The M3, Porsche, and Mustang GT were mentioned "leaving it in the dust". Hardly. M3 $78K, Cayman $65-$100, GT is $35k. The M3 is the largest performance gap. I couldnt afford it. Nor a Cayman. I bought my '13Z for $37K. Do you not think i test drove a GT and would have bought it? Obviously I could have. Other than a gap in straight-line speed, and its not ALL that much faster, it is but youd be surprised how hard a 370Z pulls. I chose the 370 for the intimacy of a 2 seat coup, a mixture of power and handling and style. FWIW, Z35 is going to be hybrid. And its going to be AWESOME.
^Well put and great points! I was in similar boat and chose my hr and glad that I did. I owned a 911S for a few years; awesome car and loved it no doubt, but for the $/performance, you make a good case for your choice of the 370!

Last edited by BigBlue; 03-31-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by BigBlue
^Well put and great points! I was in similar boat and chose my hr and glad that I did. I owned a 911S for a few years; awesome car and loved it no doubt, but for the $/performance, you make a good case for your choice of the 370!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by Firebase99
When I said leaving the 370 in the dust I met either in performance, or price per performance ratio. The Mustang is crushing the 370 in sales badly right now in the US market which was the opposite when the 350 came out. Why? Z33 offered more or about the same power and Nissan themselves set the Mustang as a power target for the Z33 in North America. Z33 had 287 or 300, 305, etc hp. Mustang gt at the time had 300. Now a mustang has over 400. Look at the Z33 vs the E46 M3 also. Z33 wasn't too far off back then performance wise from the older M3 and wasn't far behind on the track. Today the Z34 gets crushed by the new M3 and is no competition. Z33 destroyed the boxster in 2003 and Cayman outperforms the Z34.

If they up the power or lose the weight and keep the car affordable to stay ahead or at least in the same ballpark as it's original rivals then the next Z will destroy them like the 350 did. But the 350 didn't have the new camaro, charger, challenger or 86 so close or in it's price range.

Last edited by Jah70; 03-31-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 PM
kanati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's something to be said for the number of the cars on the road. I've seen ONE 370 around here since I got my 350. Z's in my area are scarce. Mustangs? Dime a dozen. I'd rather have less horsepower and more head turning power.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by kanati
There's something to be said for the number of the cars on the road. I've seen ONE 370 around here since I got my 350. Z's in my area are scarce. Mustangs? Dime a dozen. I'd rather have less horsepower and more head turning power.
This.

My 08 Nismo turns heads every day, and often garners compliments when at the gas station, etc.

Sure a used C6 base corvette is faster, but THEY too, are a dime a dozen.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by Jah70
When I said leaving the 370 in the dust I met either in performance, or price per performance ratio. The Mustang is crushing the 370 in sales badly right now in the US market which was the opposite when the 350 came out. Why? Z33 offered more or about the same power and Nissan themselves set the Mustang as a power target for the Z33 in North America. Z33 had 287 or 300, 305, etc hp. Mustang gt at the time had 300. Now a mustang has over 400. Look at the Z33 vs the E46 M3 also. Z33 wasn't too far off back then performance wise from the older M3 and wasn't far behind on the track. Today the Z34 gets crushed by the new M3 and is no competition. Z33 destroyed the boxster in 2003 and Cayman outperforms the Z34.

If they up the power or lose the weight and keep the car affordable to stay ahead or at least in the same ballpark as it's original rivals then the next Z will destroy them like the 350 did. But the 350 didn't have the new camaro, charger, challenger or 86 so close or in it's price range.
Its 6 in the morning, and Im at work. If I get some time and motivation, ill try to get some real world #'s about this crushing performance gap. Yes, the other cars are faster, but not as much as you think. Certainly not the Cayman and definitely not the Mustang. I see literally 30 Mustangs for every Z, boring. Ever drive a 5.0? Yes, it IS a GREAT package, its just missing a soul. Cheesy, I know but its true. Id love the 370 to have 400BHP, it doesnt, but it does have style!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
ryanmackk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review I've always wondered about the 370z and the BRZ. It's sad to find out just how underpowered the BRZ is. I had an RSX type S which is also rated at 200 hp and although it gets fun to drive at 5500 rpm, it's not often you find yourself revving that high and up until that point it's just a normal car. It's a shame, because the BRZ looks fast, but it sure isn't.

I personally like the look of the 350 much better than the 370 and BRZ. Just cleaner. I think the lights on the 370 are a little much, a little too Juke, but I can appreciate the bump in interior quality.

Comfort is important too. My RSX had decent suspension but the seats were awful. My 350 is a million times better and I find the seats in the g35 to be spectacular as well. If you say the BRZ is better, I would love to try it sometime.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Dan Garcia

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

As we all know by now, the BRZ is over priced and under powered but it is still a fun car to drive. the seats are a lot better than the 350, I don't really care for the paddle shifters cause it really takes away form the "fun" of shifting gears. had winter tires on it for the winter and the difference is like night and day, you can actually maneuver verry well with winter tires, with out them you are no more than a mobile road block. not every car has to out perform every one elses, to make a long story short we were in the market for a new daily, she said I like that one and I said o.k. so the car was purchased
regardless of the lack of power ratings and price. it's as simple as that.

Last edited by Dan Garcia; 04-07-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by Dan Garcia
As we all know by now, the BRZ is over priced and under powered but it is still a fun car to drive. the seats are a lot better than the 350, I don't really care for the paddle shifters cause it really takes away form the "fun" of shifting gears. had winter tires on it for the winter and the difference is like night and day, you can actually maneuver verry well with winter tires, with out them you are no more than a mobile road block. not every car has to out perform every one elses, to make a long story short we were in the market for a new daily, she said I like that one and I said o.k. so the car was purchased
regardless of the lack of power ratings and price. it's as simple as that.
I think that makes sense. However, I just despise the Twins. Its just such a "wanna be" car. The price for such poor performance is offensive. Toyruba pulled off the greatest marketing scheme ever selling these cars. lol.