Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove Subaru BRZ and a 370Z, opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Sunderland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove Subaru BRZ and a 370Z, opinions

Ok guys, I own a 2006 6mt Redline Z with the Rev Up engine (no oil consumption issues) and while out and about yesterday decided to test drive a few cars for the fun of it. First car was the new 2013 Subaru BRZ, the other a 2011 370z. Here is what I walked away thinking.

Subaru BRZ (Scion FRS) Black 6mt-
The BRZ is fawking comfortable!!! I know its not what most people concern themselves with in a sports car, but this thing makes the 350z feel like your sitting on a pile of broken rocks and syringes. It is noticeably slower then my Z, being rated at only 200hp and half the torque, night and day difference in the power. The shifter and clutch is much smoother though, but the engine must be revved much higher for normal shifting and take off. Handling is about the same as the Z, which is amazing. I actually loved the interior build of the car more then the Z, the quality was extremely nice. It does have backseats but they are so tiny that its not even worth it. After the test drive, I just wanted to buy the seats out of the car and put them in my Z lol. Overall just an awesome car, extremely fun to drive though lacking in power, still peppy as hell for a 4 cylinder.

370z 6mt Red-
I was excited to test drive this legend simply cause I love my Z and wanted to know if the upgrade would of been worth it.
The 370 felt like it sit slightly higher then the 350, I was still sitting on the floor, just not as much as it felt like with the 350. Definitely more comfy then the 350, but not nearly as much as the Subaru BRZ. The power difference wasnt as much as I was hoping for. It was noticeably more powerful, but not by a whole lot. Actually kinda disappointed in that department. The gearbox and clutch was much smoother then the 350, loved the rev matching. Interior build quality, obviously, is much nicer then the 350. I honestly didnt care for how the gauge cluster was set up in it.
The Bose sound system was sorely missed as well lol.

To me, the 370z was nice, just not nice enough for me to pay that much more for the upgrade.

Both great cars and each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Just thought Id share my experience with other Z owners who were curious. These are my opinions, If you disagree then I really dont give a poop.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:55 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove several 370Zs before I bought my '08 350Z, and I've driven several more since then. They're just not as nice to drive as the 350Z, and the look is too aggressive for me.

I drove both a MT and an automatic FRS shortly after they came out. They're not nearly as much fun to drive as the 350Z, and the price is way too high for what it is. From what I've seen of them on the local SOLO circuit, they don't handle very well, either.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd just drive my Silverado or my wife's Accord.

Last edited by winchman; 06-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^

+1

because of it's looks on the FRS/BRZ it's looks so much more when it's not and the
370Z looks too aggressive when you just gonna go get some starbucks!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove the frs but for the price it's not worth it. I've driven a hyundai genesis couope 2.0 r-spec that was only about 200 more than the frs and you get so much more for the money. The genesis coupe is really a hidden gem because not too many people take the turbo version or the big v6 version seriously but they are very capable cars. I would definitely choose the turbo genesis coupe over the 86 twins any day.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:03 PM
dmill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KingBaby
^^^

+1

because of it's looks on the FRS/BRZ it's looks so much more when it's not and the
370Z looks too aggressive when you just gonna go get some starbucks!
Hell yeah its agressive! You pull up at the drive through and they automatically know you want a Grande Caramel Frappe... With extra Caramel. Aggressive look=👍
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 PM
mattleegee

nice review, i was looking at both the FRS and 370z but i think im going to stick with the 350z for another year unless a huge deal comes along for a 370z
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM
JCITY
Banned

I've driven several of the new "25k" priced sports jobs.Drove the FRS&the BRZ.I
like the exterior of the FRS.The interior of the BRZ is more well finished.They drive alike
since they are basically the same car.Comparing the FRS/BRZ to a 370 is a bit
unfair since the overall focus the the two cars is different.The FRS purpose is to
make the car a reasonably light as possible with a balanced amount of hp.It does this nicely.Its a fun car to ring out in the turns.You really feel comfortable the moment
you plop in the driver's seat.IMO,its a lot of car for the money.A turbo will soon be
coming out.If its anywhere near to the performance on a boxer engined Subo,it'll be
a killer!I've never warmed up to the 370.It is more refined than my 03 Touring that
like many of you,through many mods,have made it MY car.I've never though about buying a 370.Possibly the new Z platform will offer something that hits the button.
Now the GTR,thats another story.
Love it.
Other ofthe 25k cars are interesting.The Genesis is very well done.But I like to screw around with my cars.It looks already done.The Hyundai Veloster(Turbo)was a big
disappointment.The one I drove had the matte gray finish.I was expecting something better.It does have some quirky looks that take some getting used to.Why would
you buy a car that you had to get used to?

Keep your redline until you see THE car.
You will know it when you see and drive it!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 PM
grimm66

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Frs/Brz looks nice but it should have came out 15 years ago to be even somewhat competitive for the price.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Z CWBOY

A little deferent take on this subject. Saturday me the lady went to test drive the new Challenger. I drove the newest R/T auto and an 08 SRT8 auto (they didn't have a mt) >/
neither of them impressed me or her. While driving their "450hp" SRT8, we're sitting at a red light with TCS off, power braking held at 2krpm, light goes green, I stand on it and it only spun tires for about 2-3 secs!!! No twisting torque nothing more than your basic v6 could pull off. Both felt like a lowered SUV with a V8. Very disappointing. I think the biggest problem with the Challenger is its weight and bulk
Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Z-Crazy

I like the 370z but brz/frs was simply waste of time.

Some new cars worth driving: bmw 1M, porsche 997s, boss mustang....
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 on the boss 302 mustang. I'm not a huge mustang fan, however, my friend has one and it was a blast to drive.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I really need to drive an FRS/BRZ on the track. For the price, I really think it should have have a couple extra HP (10 to 30) just like the Z. Would I buy one new, for $25k there are many other used cars I would buy for that price point.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:06 PM
FWM69

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I really need to drive an FRS/BRZ on the track. For the price, I really think it should have have a couple extra HP (10 to 30) just like the Z. Would I buy one new, for $25k there are many other used cars I would buy for that price point.
This is exactly why I did not buy an FRS, it was FRS or get another 350Z but I just could not justify spending 25K for 200HP vs. -18K for an HR Z with '300'HP.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven both cars as well (BRZ and 370Z) . +1 on those comments about BRZ's transmission, seating and interior. Can't compare the Z33 there.

Stockwise, the car loses grip a bit earlier than a Z with minor suspension mods, but it feels lighter and very easy to drive. I'm sure with the right suspension + wheel/tyre mod it would handle like a gokart at the track. The lack of power made me cry- it would probably the main cause of me getting bored of the car too early if I bought one.

370Z's performance isn't that too far from the 350Z. Rev match is cool but it blips the throttle too early. IMO it should be doing it right after ou switch gears (before you release the clutch) and not before. But I think this is managable if you switch gears fast enough.

I just got back from the STi showroom for a testdrive. It was a blast but the shift gear is not that accurate and kinda hard to shift when racing. BRZ still has the most accurate shifter out of these cars, you don't even have to worry about hitting the wrong gear.

I would just stick to my Z33 though not because I'm a Z nuthugger but IMO it's just not worth spending extra $$$'s on those cars to replace my current Z.

Last edited by 350Zdj; 06-02-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:26 AM
JCITY
Banned

Cool Turbo

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I agree on what you are saying.I've always been the type to buy the
"top of the line" rather than a entry level car.Can't afford a new "best"
model,buy a used one.The upcoming turbo BRZ/FRS may be something
to look at.I'd think the price will be around 30k.Many dealers are price
gouging the 25k cars right now.There is sure to be a roadster in the works
for these cars.The aftermarket guys have loads of stuff available for
the cars
Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

is the BRS(FRS) interior big boy approved? (6'4" 38 waist)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

370z, not worth the upgrade, barely more power over an HR Z.

frs too under powered.

Solution; wait for frs turbo or z35
Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 AM
zaimer

I've been thinking about getting a 370z but I've decided I like the 350z more. For the price increase, the 370z isn't really that big of an upgrade over my HR. I also like the looks of the 350z better. The 370z has more of a "hatchback" style to it (if that makes any sense lol) which I do not care for.

BRZ vs FRS? I'd take the BRZ, seems like a better build quality, and I'm not a fan of Scion. The BRZ is a pretty cool looking car but I would never buy one because the power is just not there. If a car looks fast, then it should be fast to back it up. The Z may not be the fastest thing on the road, but it way outperforms the BRZ. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 AM
HAWAI'I

my problem....... I found the "THE CAR" to replace the Z( replace is used loosely, more of stable mate) ..... I do not know how to justify buying it =(
Old 06-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Darkside Mojo

Originally Posted by 350zsunshinefl
370z, not worth the upgrade, barely more power over an HR Z.
Agreed! I see no reason to add a couple more years to the loan just to gain a few un-noticable hp

Quick Reply: Test drove Subaru BRZ and a 370Z, opinions