Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few Newbie Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Dreamzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Few Newbie Questions..

Hey everyone just joined my350z.com.. Anyways few questions for you guys. I'm looking into buying a Z in the next couple of months but am wondering if the automatic transmission Z is worth it? I see many people bashing it and all but is it really THAT much slower? If I have to learn a stick I will (Also considering an s2000) but don't want to deal with constant stop and go in traffic. Just wondering what everyones 2 cents is.. Dont need people bashing auto trans in general just want to know how auto is on the 350z.

Also compared to the s2000 how is the Z better? Which car is more expensive to upgrade? I would probably do Catback exhaust and cold air intake and headers to start. Any 350z reliability trouble spots I should know of? Thanks to whoever reads all this and answers
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
TempestZ

Ok to start. Its not really that the auto is "slower." The auto has a "higher" gear ratio, it has a 3.3, compared to the manuals 3.5(3.7 for HR 07 and 08), the auto also has a 5 speed tranny compared to the 6 speed. I feel as if the auto was geared more toward fuel economy. Not sure though. Never had one. Just my .2 cents. Plus if you want an auto, get the auto. Don't let anyone tell you whats best for you. You know what you like and what is best for you, not some jo shmo...

Why are you worrying about faster? Have you driven the Z yet? Can you handle what it has already?

But as for upgrading, it differs, what KIND of upgrade name brands or not name brands (not recommended) are you looking into? ultimately that will determine the "which is cheaper" deal your having. Headers are a B***H to change on the Z. Many forum members feel as if they aren't worth the trouble changing. You get minimal gains and they are expensive, not to mention if you have someone else do the install. Most members get Test pipes or High flo cats. Y, H, or X pipe, and cat back of thier choice. You get more gains from the test pipes and cats than you would from headers, and they are usually cheaper, and not nearly as difficult to change them out. I changed mine out in about an hour a half. Easy. Just a PITA. Do you plan on staying NA with this car? If so, Mod away, if not, keep the mods to a minimum unless they will help you in the future for F.I.(more so turbo than S/C) It will save you some money. I made that mistake. NA gains on a DE Z will be minimal without Juice. And many consider N2O, F.I. also.

As for realiability. I have never had any problems with mine. It has been going for ~110k strong. But I just recently broke everything down to go FI. Just keep up on maint. and you should be fine. Some have a synchro issue(03 and 04 from what I have read) and some have had that issue fixed, oil consumption is another. Other members may be able to chip in more on this.

Hope this helps, and if you need anything else just ask. Also, start doing ALOT of much needed research...
Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
KoruptZ

I own a 2008 Automatic Enthusiast 350z. I always wanted to buy 350z with manual transmission. Couple of my friends who do own it with manual transmission told me to buy manual over automatic. I didn’t want to listen to them since I am spending my hard working money. Wanted to buy something I was going to appreciate it and not hate. I live in city and there is always traffic around. I didn’t wanted to deal with continuously changing gears.
Since I have bought the car I have added couple of mods to my car; AEM 21-677C Gun Metal Short Ram Air Intakes and Invidia HS02N3ZGIT Gemini - Cat Back Exhaust System. Also, I was going to install Headers but my car is loud enough without them. So I sold the headers.

Luckily, I haven’t had any problems with my car except when I got my exhaust installed. My engine light came on after two days of the installation. I had to replace my O2 Sensor. That’s about it.
I do agree with Tempest Z, installing headers is pain in the back.

My advice to you is do your own research about what kind of mods or name of the brand do you want on your car. It’s your car, people will tell you go with this or that brand. At the end of the day they don’t own your car, you do. So do research & Good Luck!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

The auto is fine, if i had a ditsy trophy wife i would have no problem getting her one. if driving a standard in general is to much of a pain or the traffic is to much for you , no big deal. I'm sure you will still make your husband proud.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing wrong with the auto. It's actually what I test drove first. I simply couldn't see myself being happy driving a 350z everyday in auto.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Dreamzz

Lmao Tera is a *****. I'm glad you're proud of your manual bro gj. Glad that extra pedal and hand motions make you a big heterosexual man. *clap* *clap*
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM
oldschool350z

If there wasn't a market for an auto sports car they wouldn't make it.

Don't be such a hater Tera, jesus.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Dreamzz

I'm buying a used 350z I don't need some manual someone trashed. I want the automatic some "ditzy trophy wife" babied. This is my DD don't need a manual. I drive an automatic SC300 and love it. I'm sure a newer faster car will make me happy still. Tired of all these auto haters.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
oldschool350z

Well I wouldn't go out there and say that every manual is trashed. Normally a manual will outlast and auto and require less maintaince. A lot of autos can be damaged in no time and slip gears or shift hard.

I haven't driven an auto 350z in years, how does it accelerate in regards to the manual?

OP don't buy a modded car, ever. It will be a headache. Buy one from someone in a higher age demographic. I bought mine from an older doctor who drove it on weekends in summer.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Well I wouldn't go out there and say that every manual is trashed. Normally a manual will outlast and auto and require less maintaince. A lot of autos can be damaged in no time and slip gears or shift hard.
Very true and i would much rather have a stick that was abused than an auto that was abused. MT is much easier and cheaper to replace.

Really i don't even know what anyone would want a sports car in auto unless they are handicapped. Rowing the gears, feeling in touch with the car and road are all part of the sports car experiance. If that is not what you want, just get a Maxima or something.

BTW, yes complaining about a MT in traffic is very limp wristed. Most experianced drivers, shifting is second nature , very much like walking. Heavy traffic or open freeway, all the same.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
oldschool350z

My dad has been disabled for years and never had the ability to drive a manual due to leg limitations. He did however get a auto for that reason. Sure it takes away from the actual drive.

I broke my wrist in a motorcycle accident and still drive manual, why? Simply put I get bored in an auto. It comes down to preference. Will the 350z still be fun with auto, yes. Depends on the person.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
SlowNFurious

Originally Posted by TempestZ
Ok to start. Its not really that the auto is "slower." The auto has a "higher" gear ratio, it has a 3.3, compared to the manuals 3.5(3.7 for HR 07 and 08), the auto also has a 5 speed tranny compared to the 6 speed. I feel as if the auto was geared more toward fuel economy. Not sure though. Never had one. Just my .2 cents. Plus if you want an auto, get the auto. Don't let anyone tell you whats best for you. You know what you like and what is best for you, not some jo shmo...

Why are you worrying about faster? Have you driven the Z yet? Can you handle what it has already?

But as for upgrading, it differs, what KIND of upgrade name brands or not name brands (not recommended) are you looking into? ultimately that will determine the "which is cheaper" deal your having. Headers are a B***H to change on the Z. Many forum members feel as if they aren't worth the trouble changing. You get minimal gains and they are expensive, not to mention if you have someone else do the install. Most members get Test pipes or High flo cats. Y, H, or X pipe, and cat back of thier choice. You get more gains from the test pipes and cats than you would from headers, and they are usually cheaper, and not nearly as difficult to change them out. I changed mine out in about an hour a half. Easy. Just a PITA. Do you plan on staying NA with this car? If so, Mod away, if not, keep the mods to a minimum unless they will help you in the future for F.I.(more so turbo than S/C) It will save you some money. I made that mistake. NA gains on a DE Z will be minimal without Juice. And many consider N2O, F.I. also.

As for realiability. I have never had any problems with mine. It has been going for ~110k strong. But I just recently broke everything down to go FI. Just keep up on maint. and you should be fine. Some have a synchro issue(03 and 04 from what I have read) and some have had that issue fixed, oil consumption is another. Other members may be able to chip in more on this.

Hope this helps, and if you need anything else just ask. Also, start doing ALOT of much needed research...
The final drive ratio of the manual is not what makes it quicker. Auto's suffer more drivetrain loss, meaning less power to the wheels. The final drive ratios are different, but so are the gear ratios inside the tranny. This is the reason you would not want a 4.083 final drive in an auto, but it is desirable in a manny.

OP, the 350z has a good auto tranny, if thats what your looking for.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Dreamzz

Ok.. How fast does a stock Z do 0-60 in manual and 0-60 in auto?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamzz
Ok.. How fast does a stock Z do 0-60 in manual and 0-60 in auto?
depends on the driver, lol
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM
DriveLotus

WTF? poseurs. is the Z your track car? really? you're arguing about manual v. auto?

Look I have a manual and have had it since 2005. It's great, but my actual need for it being manual has been slim. In retrospect I'd have gotten an auto because I'm not joe racer and a manual suxs in LA traffic.

gd, I'm thankful I was sent to BMW.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM
gmoneywinning10

If you do not want to use a manual transmission than the s2k is out from the get go.

The honda would generally be a cheaper car to modify though (smaller engine and shorter car, usually requires less metal/labor) but note the word generally. As mentioned before it really depends on what you want to do to the car and what companies you choose to work with.

Manual vs auto: for the average person (i.e. doesn't work out of their car/do mass amounts of driving) using a manual will never be an issue. Growing up my parents did a tremendous amount of driving and my dad said he would never have a manual "because I'd shift 300 times or more on a busy day" was his argument. However, my mom still drives a manual and does the same job. It's really just a matter of preference. Generally rule in modifying and racing though- manual > auto
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM
bluelineshooter

Dude, buy what you want. The difference in the performance isn't big enough for the human brain to register. This argument has raged for a billion years and it will continue to rage. Auto guys argue sensibility and the manual guys retort with arguments of heritage and passion. In the end, it doesn't matter. It's still a great car.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get what you want. It's your car after all...

Both trannys are great. It's preference, that's why the option's there
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 AM
bmcmvox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen many people bashing the auto. People make general comments regarding the validity of a auto transmission in ANY sports car....but from what I understand the auto tranny is pretty solid and reliable and the auto Z owners are quite happy with them. Unless you are a skilled manual driver, I doubt you will notice any performance loss in a auto. I have been driving a manual for a month, and I have Accents beating me off the line and they aren't even trying. MAYBE in a year or 2, once I get used to my take offs and shifting I MIGHT be able to use the car to it's full potential.

Compared to the s2000? Look at the s2000 then look at the Z...is there really any comparison. I have had so many random "nice car" from complete strangers. People at work ogle it. The Z is a slick, badass looking beast. I love it. I would rather have my Z then an s2000 any day. But that is my opinion.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Dreamzz

Yeah at first I had my heart set on the s2000 I just feel like Honda is more reliable. It's like everyone has a 350 but not many s2000. They all have pushstart and leather digital gauges but i am 6 foot 4 though so a Z is more practical.

Quick Reply: Few Newbie Questions..