Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Installed: Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:32 AM
dragonfire6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...

ajc, looks clean!! let me know if you find a tiny usb becuase the one i'm using now is pretty long, so i'm looking for the shortest one ever made haha

quiksilver, in post #11 i have a pic of the switch i used as a bypass... I could not get the relay to work for me but it would have eliminated the need for a switch altogether and still enabled videos to be watched while in motion...

my switch has two wires ran to it... one connected to the purple "parking brake" wire coming from the unit and another connected to a ground... to watch video me and ajc simply flip the switch and it tricks the unit into thinking the car was placed in park and voila!

let me know if you have any more questions... some units don't require a switch to be in place, they just need that purple wire to be connected to a ground... depending on how smart your unit is
Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 AM
defex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone post a how to for the switch? Also, can you just tuck the switch behind the radio and leave it switched on or will that harm components? I have one of these on order and I really don't want to have my video blocked while driving!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
ny garbage_juice

sick deal, i might jump on this.

can anyone tell me whats up with installing one of these when you have the BOSE stereo?

does it work or do u have to replace all the speakers?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
kyx4n

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
ajc, looks clean!! let me know if you find a tiny usb becuase the one i'm using now is pretty long, so i'm looking for the shortest one ever made haha
maybe you could try one of those USB extender cable things... lol not sure what its officially called but i think you know what i mean..
Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 AM
dragonfire6

Default ...

Switch for Parking Brake Bypass:

You will need:
Head Unit
Any basic switch
Electrical Wire
Connectors (optional)
Electrical tape
Drill or dremel
10mm socket & wrench or phillips head screw driver depending on which grounding point you choose...

Sorry no pics because I don't feel like tearing everything out again...

1. Find the mounting spot for your switch.
2. Mount the switch using the *most times* included mounting instructions and drill or dremel
3. Find a good grounding point, other than the one used for the head unit
4. Connect a length of wire to the grounding point

*Make sure the wire is long enough to reach the mounting spot for your switch*

5. Connect the grounded wire to the switch
6. Connect the Parking Brake wire from the head unit wiring harness to the switch

*Depending on the specific switch you are using, you will have to test a combination of wire connects to find the one that tricks the head unit into thinking the car's parking brake was engaged. If you purchased a 2-prong switch, it is pretty self explanatory. If you purchased a 3 prong (lighted) switch, you will disregard the included wiring diagram and test connect until you get the desired results

*Since your radio is already grounded and you will not be supplying any power to the switch, you can test ground connections without worry of blowing a fuse or messing up the head unit*

7. Put everything back together and tuck all wires

Defex, the pioneer avh-p3100dvd and p4100dvd (in particular) want the parking brake to be disengaged and then re-engaged post starting car to make sure the driver is really at a stop. So when I get in my car and start it, even if my switch is in the "watch video" position, i still have to flip the switch to off and then back to on. Then, until I turn my car off again, I can watch movies. That's why you will need to mount the switch in a spot where you will be able to access it.

I have read on a couple other forums that installing a 4-pin relay will get rid of the need for a switch and thus the process of disengaging and re-engaging, however i tried 2 different relays and could not get it to work for me. So I have a switch and it's not that big of a deal....

any other questions, just let me know
Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
dragonfire6

Default ...

kyx4n, i think i know what your talking about. it winds the usb cord up like a iron or measuring tape, right? i'm actually looking for just a tiny flash drive, no wires...

like this...
Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM
syk69

kyx4n, i think i know what your talking about. it winds the usb cord up like a iron or measuring tape, right? i'm actually looking for just a tiny flash drive, no wires...

like this...
they sell those at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609381
Old 04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
ajc99z

Originally Posted by camaro194
ajc, what are these deals that you speak of?
2-3 weeks ago ebay had an 8% off coupon on all electronics. A couple days prior, i got an email from Paypal regarding the 15% off. Basically, as long as you used buy it now on Ebay and payed with PP you were eligible for the 15% up $100 cash back. So, according to the fine print, the money back should show up in my account in the latter half of this month.

Google ebates, pretty cool site.

If you sign up, feel free to use my email as a referrer

ajc99z@gmail.com

Dragonfire, nice write up on the switch. Surprisingly simple to do.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Thanks, I'll look into that. I know MS Live has a cashback program going on now with ebay. I think its at 11% (used to be 35%!!!).

Anyone have any pics of this installed showing the color matching between the display and the rest of the Z's interior lights?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
defex

Switch for Parking Brake Bypass:

You will need:
Head Unit
Any basic switch
Electrical Wire
Connectors (optional)
Electrical tape
Drill or dremel
10mm socket & wrench or phillips head screw driver depending on which grounding point you choose...

Sorry no pics because I don't feel like tearing everything out again...

1. Find the mounting spot for your switch.
2. Mount the switch using the *most times* included mounting instructions and drill or dremel
3. Find a good grounding point, other than the one used for the head unit
4. Connect a length of wire to the grounding point

*Make sure the wire is long enough to reach the mounting spot for your switch*

5. Connect the grounded wire to the switch
6. Connect the Parking Brake wire from the head unit wiring harness to the switch

*Depending on the specific switch you are using, you will have to test a combination of wire connects to find the one that tricks the head unit into thinking the car's parking brake was engaged. If you purchased a 2-prong switch, it is pretty self explanatory. If you purchased a 3 prong (lighted) switch, you will disregard the included wiring diagram and test connect until you get the desired results

*Since your radio is already grounded and you will not be supplying any power to the switch, you can test ground connections without worry of blowing a fuse or messing up the head unit*

7. Put everything back together and tuck all wires

Defex, the pioneer avh-p3100dvd and p4100dvd (in particular) want the parking brake to be disengaged and then re-engaged post starting car to make sure the driver is really at a stop. So when I get in my car and start it, even if my switch is in the "watch video" position, i still have to flip the switch to off and then back to on. Then, until I turn my car off again, I can watch movies. That's why you will need to mount the switch in a spot where you will be able to access it.

I have read on a couple other forums that installing a 4-pin relay will get rid of the need for a switch and thus the process of disengaging and re-engaging, however i tried 2 different relays and could not get it to work for me. So I have a switch and it's not that big of a deal....

any other questions, just let me know
Thanks for the information! When you were connecting the wires to the switch, did you require a solder or is there posts that just clip and hold the wires?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
skillkiller21

just ordered one of these as well off of amazon for $283. how do you like it so far?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:05 PM
uclabruin

Though I didn't get it installed in my G35, I got one for the truck.

pics here..

http://www.f150online.com/forums/hea...-p3100dvd.html

It's funny b/c my clock changed to 24 hour time after I did a factory reset...so maybe if you do a reset it might change back to am/pm.

I need to figure out if theres a way to make it go down all the way to 87.7 FM since there's gonna be a dance station out in LA on that....right now it stops at 88.1 but the European models go down to 87.5 FM.

When they did the install, they put some adapter in there so that the DVD works while you are driving but i'm not sure exactly how they did that.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:38 PM
dragonfire6

Default ...

i really like the unit so far...

i will take some pics the next time i remember to bring my camera down to the car at night to show the color matched buttons and screen illumination....

defex, the switch i used had had posts (i believe most will) and i crimped connectors onto the wire and hooked everything up that way... easy to remove if needed with the connectors...

i really hope there is a way to have a am/pm clock on the screen
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 AM
skillkiller21

I just received my unit from amazon. Im just wondering what do I need for wires and etc for this install because my friend is going to put it in for me and I have no idea what I need.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:16 AM
token5gtd

i don't know if Pioneer does the bypass the same as Kenwood... but i just grounded the parking brake wire to get around the bypass. I've never heard of HAVING to use a switch or relay to fix it.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:18 AM
dragonfire6

Default ...

you will need the wiring harness, metra kit dash kit and a few basic tools... hopefully you have these things already since it will be pretty hard to find on Easter...

if your friend is experienced with installing, he should know what you need
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
skillkiller21

he knows how I just have to get the stuff lol where did you get all your stuff from
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
dragonfire6

Default ...

the car had a aftermarket cd player in it when i purchased it, so that took care of the wiring harness... went to the a local stereo shop and bought the metra dash kit...
Old 04-12-2009, 07:52 PM
kyx4n

Originally Posted by skillkiller21
he knows how I just have to get the stuff lol where did you get all your stuff from
you can try crutchfield.. just enter your car in with specs (model, year, whatever), then chose the pioneer 3100...

then go look at the free accessories that they included free.
Usually they include the metra kit and harness..
so just right down the item numbers and go buy those individually..
Old 04-12-2009, 07:55 PM
defex

Originally Posted by token5gtd
i don't know if Pioneer does the bypass the same as Kenwood... but i just grounded the parking brake wire to get around the bypass. I've never heard of HAVING to use a switch or relay to fix it.
I think the unit needs to see the parking gear disengaged and then engaged before turning on video. Therefor, grounding it out would not work. Is that correct guys?

Quick Reply: Installed: Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD w/pics