Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Installed: Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:02 AM
paintballguy666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I said the hell with USB sticks. I use an IDE hard drive out of a computer I found on the side of the road and mounted in the compartment behind the driver's seat. I call it "The Poor Man's I-Pod".

Even an old hard drive will hold a shitload more music than a stick, and can be picked up for like $10. But you will also need an IDE to USB converter, power inverter (even though computers run off 12 and 5V, the IDE adapter will most likely come with a 110V), and spend some time reformatting the drive from NTSF to FAT32 file system. I did it all for bout $50. Will take some pics sometime."

will the poor mans ipod work with movies. i have an ipod video that has a few movies saved in MP4 but they do not play on my 3100.

anyone have some ideas?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 PM
neosolipsism

Never looked into the video USB thing. Will have to give that a try when I get back to work. I know alot of AV stereos that have SD-card readers will pick up certain picture and video formats off the SD, but I've never tried with USB. Those which featured internal hard drives would do it too, but most manufacturers phased out the HD models due to overheating problems.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 AM
dragonfire6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...

unfortunately, you can not play video from a flash/usb drive... it would have to be video from a cd, dvd or iphone/ipod...

i realized this weekend that u actually don't need the special cord to control the iphone after paintballguy pointed it out... however, my movies play sound, but no actual video...

paintballguy, are your videos playing??
Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 PM
cirazypnoy

Had the same problem that you had dragonfire, finally found the answer on the pioneer website on the faq section, here's the link http://208.220.235.52:7001/eSupportJ...tion_id=F19744. Tried it out, and now my deck plays ipod videos.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
dragonfire6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...

Originally Posted by cirazypnoy
Had the same problem that you had dragonfire, finally found the answer on the pioneer website on the faq section, here's the link http://208.220.235.52:7001/eSupportJ...tion_id=F19744. Tried it out, and now my deck plays ipod videos.

your ipod plays video with the regular sync cable that came with it, or you bought the cd-uv150 cable???
Old 06-17-2009, 01:30 AM
cirazypnoy

...I tried to use the regular sync cable, but its as you said, the screen stays blank. It only works with the cd-IU50v because it has both the usb and aux plug to put in the deck.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
paintballguy666

ok pioneer! im calling shinangins on that why would you do that i want all 400 DVD's i own to be in my car at once.

thanks everyone for all the help i emailed pioneer and they told me the same thing looks like i have to buy the cable (*****!!!) and use my Ipod.

does anyone know a good FREE program for converting DVD's to MP4 i have used handbreak but i seem to have problems with it, mostly audio missing and blank screen with audio.

thanks again
Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 AM
cirazypnoy

the best video converter that i've ever used is Total Video Converter...but it only works for PC.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 AM
BlowinGreen

looks clean man...all u need now is a new shift ****.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 AM
loudrims_inc

Question question about bypass

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
ajc, looks clean!! let me know if you find a tiny usb becuase the one i'm using now is pretty long, so i'm looking for the shortest one ever made haha

quiksilver, in post #11 i have a pic of the switch i used as a bypass... I could not get the relay to work for me but it would have eliminated the need for a switch altogether and still enabled videos to be watched while in motion...

my switch has two wires ran to it... one connected to the purple "parking brake" wire coming from the unit and another connected to a ground... to watch video me and ajc simply flip the switch and it tricks the unit into thinking the car was placed in park and voila!

let me know if you have any more questions... some units don't require a switch to be in place, they just need that purple wire to be connected to a ground... depending on how smart your unit is

ok im putting mines in later today...and very nice read btw, its going to help me out ALOT! I just need clarification on the bypass...so in other words, you are saying to connect the ground to the switch and connect the "green" parking brake wire to the switch also...am i correct or did i misunderstand you??
Old 06-22-2009, 01:32 PM
HOLDINGITBIG

hey everyone .... i was searching the web for help on this same pioneer dvd player. im not a 350 owner, but i do own the p3100dvd unit and i have been having video issues.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:41 PM
HOLDINGITBIG

let me start off by saying that the regular white USB iphone/ipod cable connects to the front of this DVD player and works fine. HOWEVER it will not play music videos or movies that are on your iphone. It will attempt to, and you will hear audio, but see no video.

Pioneer has a cable that they sell separately for about $50. Best buy has them, and you can buy them online. here is a pic of it:

http://dynamicautosound.net/ebayimg/PIONEERCDIU50V.jpg

it is pioneer model number: cd-IU50V

ANYWAYS ............ so I bought this cable. At first, nothing worked and it did the exact same thing. I called pioneer and they helped me change a default setting that was very easy. You have to change the default front AV input (aux) to "IPOD"

so after i got that straight it was all good because it worked. BUT i noticed that the audio and video playing were not in SYNC when playing a music video. I tried watching a movie and it was the same thing. same SYNC problem. I called pioneer back and talked to the SAME GUY ... he said that since i was using the NEW iphone 3gS, that's probably the issue. He said i was the first complaint they had but if they got more then they would update some firmware/software or something to try to correct it .....

this guy said that the regular iphone 3g and the ORIGINAL 2g iphone have been tested and work fine. WELL WELL WELL .... i also have my iphone 3g sitting here with me and I tried it on that .......... SAME problem with the SYNC. I called pioneer back AGAIN and got some ****ing douch bag who knew nothing and acted like a ****ing **** about it .............. that was 5 minutes ago.

THEN i saw some posts on here and decided to tell my story
Old 06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
HOLDINGITBIG

you DEFINITELY need the cd-IU50v cable to make it work. Once you buy that:

turn your headunit OFF.
when its on the 'demo' mode hold your finger in middle of screen
select something like "initial setup" or something from menu
then where you can select AV1 or input or AUX chage it to "IPOD"

then you are setup for video through your iphone/ipod using that cd-IU50v cable ....... but you will probably still have the SYNC issue.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
HOLDINGITBIG

Originally Posted by cirazypnoy
this is a good post because it shows which iphones/ipods they have tested. HOWEVER ..... the regular iphone 3G had a 2.2.1 software update if you remember. Pioneer's list says iphone 3G (2.0)

maybe that's the problem? anyone got a 3g iphone with 2.0 software still? OR an original 2g iphone they can try? i think i've narrowed down the problem
Old 06-22-2009, 01:54 PM
HOLDINGITBIG

OH!! and as far as the BYPASS switch some of you are talking about .............. it's easy.

get a toggle switch from home depot or where ever. Make sure its the kind of switch that only has 2 positions. (on and off) there should be 2 wires coming out of switch. Connect one to the green wire (brake cable wire) from dvd player and connect the other wire to ground. That's it! you dont mess with your actual ebrake at all.

when you play a movie and the warning comes on, hit the switch once, and then hit it again (putting it back in its original position) .... and you are good.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 PM
caudillc

has anyone been able to change the background with a CD? the manual says when viewing a picture you can pause the slideshow and there should be a button that appears titled "Capture". I cannot get this to appear. I have not tried a USB because I have the 4100 and that is in the back of the unit.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
loudrims_inc

Exclamation

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
Picked up this unit from Amazon for $283.99 w/1 day shipping (local stores wanted $488)

This is the 5.8 inch screen version of the 4100 but I decided on this unit because the face isn't motorized, a front USB input and price. The 3100 (and I believe the 4100 as well) do not come with any mounting hardware so the shop will have to create a custom one, order it from pioneer separately or if your handy, you can make your own like I did. Not the biggest problem in the world, but if you order the unit know that your install may be delayed for that reason. I also bought the metra kit since you are provided in the Pioneer box only with a flimsy surround

What I love about the 3100:
-You can change the color of the buttons AND screen (independently) to match interior lighting. Something like 120 different colors!
-The USB in the front is awesome!
-You can upload one picture at a time from a CD or flash drive and use it as the background for the screen. Not the loading screen (since there is really no loading time) but the background behind your radio stations, mp3's, sat radio....
-The screen is very responsive and menu/source changes are very very fast.

What I do not love about the 3100:
-Bluetooth and iPod/iPhone connectivity are not built in, you have to buy adapters
-The clock on this unit is 24-hr only
-The parking brake bypass

Bypass: I'll go into this a little more since I had a hard time finding info about this line in particular since they are new. This unit wants to really believe you are in park before it will let the video or picture slideshow play. I had read about hooking up a relay to the parking brake wire but after trying 2 different times with 2 different relays, I said screw it and did this....

Go to autozone or walmart and buy a toggle switch and some wire. Connect the parking brake wire to the switch and ground the other end. Flipping the switch twice will give you the "OK, you're actually stopped and you can now watch your movie" screen. It's a bit of a pain but what can you do...

For the price, color changing buttons and user backgrounds, the 3100 is a awesome unit! You will barely notice the 1.2 inch smaller screen
We must have different year models of the 3100 cause mines is 12-hr clock!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 PM
pcdoctor

Has anyone had problems playing the radio with this unit? Sometimes the radio button will be grayed out.
Ex. I just finished watching a DVD and want to switch to radio.
I press the DVD icon and it goes to the icon selction screen and when I select radio nothing happens.
I've used the radio before and was able to select different stations.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 AM
loudrims_inc

Originally Posted by pcdoctor
Has anyone had problems playing the radio with this unit? Sometimes the radio button will be grayed out.
Ex. I just finished watching a DVD and want to switch to radio.
I press the DVD icon and it goes to the icon selction screen and when I select radio nothing happens.
I've used the radio before and was able to select different stations.
hmm,...i havent had that problem YET...is your antenna plugged in?? maybe it came lose?? idk, im just throwin out a few suggestions...

i even tried browsing the internet and couldnt find any results on the radio problem, sry, i tried
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 AM
loudrims_inc

the radio reception sux anyways so...IMO

Quick Reply: Installed: Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD w/pics