Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

New SQ-oriented install coming soon, all components ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SQ-oriented install coming soon, all components ordered!

I want to thank everyone on this forum who has helped me with the planning of my stereo thus far, and assure you all that there will be yet more questions to come along this learning experience. My goal is a SQ system and I believe I'll be extremely pleased with how it will sound once installed. Everything has been ordered and at this point, because this is my first installation of anything besides an amp and speakers, I'm in the process of getting all the wiring and connections straight in my head.

I enjoy home audio as well as car audio and for the past few years I've had a 5.1 home theater setup consisting of Polk LSi speakers. I absolutely love the sound of these speakers because I feel they offer a very smooth, non-fatiguing high-end without sacrificing detail. The low-end is exceptional as well, which is important because I primarily listen to heavy metal. I only say this because upon reading that the Polk SR6500 component speakers' design was based off the Polk LSi series speakers, I knew I'd found my new car speakers.

Here are the components which have all been ordered and are on the way now:

Ground Wire Upgrade in Engine Compartment: 0awg wire
-----I don't think many would argue with this upgrade. Less resistance in the return path = higher voltage at the amps. Nuff' said.

Vibration Isolation/Sound Absorption: Raamat and Ensolite
-----Nice products, very competitively priced
-----I will be applying Raamat as well as Ensolite to the doors as well as the hatch area.

Head Unit: Alpine IVA-W205
-----A very cool double-din unit which can control the PXA-H701 processor which I will be using in this install
-----Metra wiring harness and dash kit ordered as well
-----PAC TR-7 for video bypass
-----KCE-422i iPod cable for iPod control

Front Speakers: Polk Audio SR6500
-----Using Polk's passive crossovers, which are reportedly very nice

Kick Panels: Custom kicks by none other than Bing
-----After seeing his work and reading reports on the imaging improvements, I decided that they would be a must for my SQ install
-----Bing is taking advantage of the SR6500's optional coaxial configuration and is fabricating the kick panels for this mounting style

Front Speaker Amp: Alpine PDX 2.150
-----I want to mount as many components as I can on a removable rack in the glove compartment and I really liked the small footprint of the PDX amps, as well as their ability to fit perfectly together when stacked

Rear Fill: None (or the subwoofer, however you prefer to think of it)
-----When I solder the Metra harness's wires to the W205's wires, I will tape up the factory speaker wires so that they will not be connected

Subwoofer: Polk Audio SR104 10" subwoofer
-----Again, staying with the Polk SR series this time and all reports I've read state that this is an excellent SQ-oriented subwoofer. Reading this review of the Polk sub influenced my decision a bit as well.

Subwoofer Enclosure: Under-strut 1x10" enclosure from ZEnclosures
-----The polk SR104 subwoffer requires 0.78ft^3 of airspace for optimal operating conditions and the ZEnclosures under-strut box provides 0.80ft^3 of airspace which works out perfectly

Subwoofer Amp: Alpine PDX 1.600
-----Again, the small footprint and ability to be stacked wins points here. The Polk SR104 subwoofer is rated for 700w RMS so the power output of the Alpine matches up nicely.

Amplifier Wiring Kit: JL Audio 2 guage dual-amp wiring kit

Audio Processor: Alpine PXA-H701
-----I went back and forth on this issue but in the end I decided to include the H701 processor for the following reasons:
1. Important to have all the parametric EQ adjustments to help smooth out any peaks or dips in the frequency response
2. Ability to run a digital connection (optical) from the head unit to the glove box where the processor/amps are
3. Time Alignment

Tuning: Behringer mic along with TrueRTA software
-----Looking to achieve a relatively flat response with the EQ capability of the H701 and then tune to my liking from there, if at all

So, the SR6500's have been mailed to Bing to assist in fabrication of the kick panels and the rest of the equipment is in transit to me now from various vendors. I'm looking to apply the Raamat and Ensolite to the doors as well as the hatch area sometime in the next couple of weeks, and the actual installation will happen once I'm off work for Christmas. Even though it may be relatively simple for some, this is the most complex install I've attempted and I plan on it taking a few days. The Metra wiring harness as well as the W205 just arrived to my house so I'll more than likely be posting on here soon to verify that I'm planning the wiring connections correctly. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to this and I've had a lot of fun planning all this out.

I'll be posting some pics when everything is installed, so stay tuned

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-21-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 PM
StreetOC192

Nice selections, I look forward to seeing pics of the final install!!! Any questions you may have during install I'm sure will be addressed promptly by your pals here on the forum.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:05 AM
Lsmith9523

Wow,,sounds like a great set-up. I cannot wait to see pics...You must be HAPPY right now...LOL

Please post photo's when finished.

Congrat's!!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:13 AM
hoss4131

you wont be dissapointed with the W205/H701 processor, thats what im running

i would HIGHLY suggest ditching the polk XO's though. if you are running the H701 there is no need for them, go active and give yourself the flexibility . plus, you can run a 30Db network on the XO points which will help your imaging and also allow you to run lower XO points than normal. time alignment is an objective issue, i have used it in the past and did not like the results it gave. however, the EQ on the 701 is pretty awesome . the parametric gives tons of flexibility and adjustment options, and you can use a mic to have the unit auto adjust itself if you want (which really makes your mic and RTA unneccisary)

nice choices
Old 11-21-2007, 04:38 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by hoss4131
you wont be dissapointed with the W205/H701 processor, thats what im running

i would HIGHLY suggest ditching the polk XO's though. if you are running the H701 there is no need for them, go active and give yourself the flexibility . plus, you can run a 30Db network on the XO points which will help your imaging and also allow you to run lower XO points than normal. time alignment is an objective issue, i have used it in the past and did not like the results it gave. however, the EQ on the 701 is pretty awesome . the parametric gives tons of flexibility and adjustment options, and you can use a mic to have the unit auto adjust itself if you want (which really makes your mic and RTA unneccisary)

nice choices
If I remember correctly, the H701's auto adjustment feature can only be done with the C701 controller installed as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And as for the crossovers, it is tempting to go active with the H701 but I'm not convinced that I know more than Polk's engineers about the optimal crossover settings for the SR6500's. Besides, if I ever want to I can always swap over from passive to active XO using the H701 easily enough since the components will be located in the glove box.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 AM
hoss4131

XO points arent that difficult to set on your own, and its all a matter of preference, not a matter of how much experience you have .

but it is true that you could always change it up later, you would just have to re-run your speaker wires. another great feature of the 701 though is running the optic wire in lieu of RCA's, just be sure to mount the unit really close to your amps so you can make use of that and only have short 1m runs of RCA's between the processor and your amp
Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Ge|atinousFury

XO points arent that difficult to set on your own, and its all a matter of preference, not a matter of how much experience you have .

but it is true that you could always change it up later, you would just have to re-run your speaker wires. another great feature of the 701 though is running the optic wire in lieu of RCA's, just be sure to mount the unit really close to your amps so you can make use of that and only have short 1m runs of RCA's between the processor and your amp
I agree, I wanted the processor very close to the amps and since the processor + amps will be in the glove box, I'm able to run a 12ft optical cable from the head unit to the processor and then 0.5m RCA's to each of the 2 amps.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Ge|atinousFury
And as for the crossovers, it is tempting to go active with the H701 but I'm not convinced that I know more than Polk's engineers about the optimal crossover settings for the SR6500's.
+1, the only reason to go active is if you are going to run different points and slopes that the xover that comes with the set. If you are going to mimic the xover points that polk's xover is set at, then there is absolutely no reason to go active.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:05 AM
hoss4131

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
+1, the only reason to go active is if you are going to run different points and slopes that the xover that comes with the set. If you are going to mimic the xover points that polk's xover is set at, then there is absolutely no reason to go active.
being able to adjust anything and everything on the fly is a massive advantage in y book, and you can achieve results that you just cant with passives. but i agree, that if you really dont have the background to play with it, then its not going to do much for you.

if you know what all you are doing it is a HUGE advantage to go active. even if you dont know what you are doing, it is one less thing to worry about. and i can say that from first hand experience, i have caught passive XO's on fire before.

also, another thing to consider adding to your install, a PAC TR7
Old 11-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Ge|atinousFury

also, another thing to consider adding to your install, a PAC TR7
Oops, forgot to add that to the list...I'll do that now. I actually have already purchased the PAC TR-7 and the Alpine iPod cable Thanks though!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:13 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, i do suggets going fully active...i had no idea you were running the 205 and 701...that sounds like a pretty serious SQ thing you got going on...

are you going to utilize time alignment much at all? if so, one alternative is to a kick mounted midbass and A pillar molded tweet, it will give you a bit higher stage and if you time align it, still a good center image
Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 AM
hoss4131

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
yes, i do suggets going fully active...i had no idea you were running the 205 and 701...that sounds like a pretty serious SQ thing you got going on...

are you going to utilize time alignment much at all? if so, one alternative is to a kick mounted midbass and A pillar molded tweet, it will give you a bit higher stage and if you time align it, still a good center image
with the right tweeter and XO point/slope you can have the tweeter in the kick and make it sound like its in the sail panel
Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Ge|atinousFury

For now I'll stick with the original plan of having the coaxial-mount configuration of the SR6500's in the kicks along with passive crossovers. I like the idea of having 1 point source for each side.

And for the XO's, I've got a lot to learn about tuning and setup anyways (not including crossovers) anyways....

And I've already purchased my PDX 2.150 amp; if I go active I'd have to sell it and get a 4 channel which is another thing I don't wish to do at this time.

In the future, it will (probably) happen eventually Just not right now.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

I'm finalizing up my W205 harness, Metra harness, and PAC TR-7 wiring schematic in MS Excel and I'll be posting a pic here soon to see if I'm correct on the wiring or not.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Ge|atinousFury

OK everyone, I would appreciate some double-checking of my wiring schematic thus far. Here's what you need to keep in mind when viewing this schematic:

1. Won't be using any factory speakers
2. No external monitors
3. No rearview cameras

Obviously, this is for the wiring harness part of the install along with the PAC TR-7. I've included the TR-7 wiring instructions at the bottom of the pic for your convenience. Please let me know if I'm wrong on anything My apologies for the image size but I want it to be readable.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-21-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
hoss4131

you actually DO need to hook up the power ant wire. the Z has an amplified antenna, and without that wire you wont get any signal.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
james840a

Originally Posted by 16psibrick

he has good taste. I have the same 205 and 701. Im running a 1kwatt type-x and focal 3-way front stage and infinity rears. I have y Tweet mounted near the mid range in a kick with the mid bass in the door

Sounds like he's got a good setup listed.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM
james840a

you actually DO need to hook up the power ant wire. the Z has an amplified antenna, and without that wire you wont get any signal.
+1, you have to have it connected or you will not get any radio signal
Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Thanks for the heads up everyone; Just corrected it on the schematic.

Anyone see anything else?

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-21-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM
james840a

Not that i can see.
Were are you going to place your Ipod?
I have mine in the cubby above the head unit.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by james840a
Not that i can see.
Were are you going to place your Ipod?
I have mine in the cubby above the head unit.
That's the same place I was planning on placing my iPod. Is there a way to run the cable inside that compartment without drilling out a hole for the wire to come through?

Quick Reply: New SQ-oriented install coming soon, all components ordered!