Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bilestein vs. Tociko D Specs or Koni Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
ZROCM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilestein vs. Tociko D Specs or Koni Yellows

I’m thinking about Bilstien shocks (not coliovers). I wonder how they compare to the stock 2004.5 shock, Koni Yellows or Tociko D Specs. I'm only lowering my car by 5/8 inches with RS*R Ti2000 springs. The front rating of the springs are 345 lbs compared to the stock spring rating of 314 lbs. The RS*R rear springs are rated at 417 lbs compared to the 2004.5 stock rear springs at 427 lbs. My car is a DD and I still enjoy the comfort of the stock shocks. But I believe the stock shock won't last long or work as well when used with a lowering spring. My stock shocks have 46,000 miles on them. I wonder if Bilstein shocks will work with a lowering spring and which Bilstein shock is best suited for this, given that I prefer to stay close to the comfort of the stock shock.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

You troll the Varr's thread asking the same questions:

- Offset(like they have a lot to begin with)
- What suspension are you on

You can afford the Tokico D-specs... so buy them. For god sakes search! The PM feature goes a long way and there's several vendors here that have deals and more than likely will offer some decent advice:

First you start at the stickies:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ion-101-a.html

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...nt-shocks.html

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...in-shocks.html

*** You posted the same thing here... no need for a new thread ***
Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 AM
ZROCM

Default Bilstein vs. Tokico D-Specs vs. Koni Yellows

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
You troll the Varr's thread asking the same questions:

- Offset(like they have a lot to begin with)
- What suspension are you on

You can afford the Tokico D-specs... so buy them. For god sakes search! The PM feature goes a long way and there's several vendors here that have deals and more than likely will offer some decent advice:

First you start at the stickies:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ion-101-a.html

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...nt-shocks.html

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...in-shocks.html

*** You posted the same thing here... no need for a new thread ***
Sorry! But when I searched for Bilstein, I was only finding Bilstein coilovers. I did find that some people found the Koni Yellows harsh for a DD. I realize that ride quality becomes a personable preference though. So I was trying to describe in one thread what I was after. I also thought this may help others looking for the same. Tokico D-Specs may be right for me. I'm trying to be extra careful here though, because I made an incorrect choice once, therefore asking questions while trying to best describe what I have now, where I'm going, and hopefully most people will understand when I mention that the car is mostly used as a DD, spirited driving on the back country roads and occasional track for extra fun. If the softest setting or one of the settings on the Tokico D-specs is similar to the 2004.5 stock shocks, then this may be what I need. The other settings I'm sure will help me for the occasional track days. And again I wasn't finding info on Bilstein - non coilover shocks. But since many people use them on Bimmers, I thought it may be a good option.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM
tyau

The Bilstein B6 shocks for the 350z, in my opinion, are some of the best shocks available if you want the best comprimise of comfort, longevity, and performance. They are noticeably stiffer than stock when cornering, but absorb bumps much better compared to OEM. They also feel more consistent on rougher roads.

What makes them different is that they are monotube shocks. I love the rebound characteristics of the Bilsteins than any other shocks on the market.

I have used Koni and Tokico D-specs (on other applications) and Bilsteins (for the Z) are much more refined.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM
ZROCM

Originally Posted by tyau
The Bilstein B6 shocks for the 350z, in my opinion, are some of the best shocks available if you want the best comprimise of comfort, longevity, and performance. They are noticeably stiffer than stock when cornering, but absorb bumps much better compared to OEM. They also feel more consistent on rougher roads.

What makes them different is that they are monotube shocks. I love the rebound characteristics of the Bilsteins than any other shocks on the market.

I have used Koni and Tokico D-specs (on other applications) and Bilsteins (for the Z) are much more refined.
Thanks very much for this info!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:28 PM
RaalZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update on ride and height???

Originally Posted by tyau

Just curious now that you've had some time on these shocks. Currently running KYB gas shocks(about 2 months) from what I believe were dead OEM shocks since the car sits higher now. My car has Tein S.Tech springs on it which I'm not sure justifies my interest in the B8's but I am curious to know what differences you noticed in ride height once you switched to B6's? Word on the web is Tein drops Z's .7" in the front and .6" in the rear...
Old 02-22-2020, 08:28 AM
kshaw

I have Bilsteins on my Mazda Miata and love them. I have been pleased with the originals on the Z though.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:38 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by kshaw
I have Bilsteins on my Mazda Miata and love them. I have been pleased with the originals on the Z though.
5.5 years late to the party
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (02-22-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 04:09 PM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought the B12 kit last year for my z. Makes the ride a bit more rough but worth it. about 1" drop and feels a lot better on track.