Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

CZP Brake Lines Suck

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

^+1, Yeah I thought there was a safety feature that prevents "total" failure. I heard that years ago and it wasn't about Nissans. Complete brake loss suddenly sounds a lot more serious than blowing 1 of 4 lines.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Coz@CZP
They were only under the CZP Label when originally designed for the Akebono Kit, but Technafit is the manufacturer.
I had Technafit on mine, they could have been an inch longer. Before I put the tire on I cycled the steering and made sure there was no pulling, it took me a few extra minutes to get it right. Stoptech lines also fit the same.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I had Technafit on mine, they could have been an inch longer. Before I put the tire on I cycled the steering and made sure there was no pulling, it took me a few extra minutes to get it right. Stoptech lines also fit the same.
Now that you mention it, I do remember that the rear replacement lines that were sent were StopTech lines. . .

My front lines looked just like the ones 350ZZJoe posted - And I would definitely keep a close eye on those if I were you. . .Mine frayed like that, teflon rubbed away, SS line started to get pulled taught. They are clearly too short to be used in that area. I'll post photos of my Z1 brake lines later, and show how much better they clear everything, and how perfectly routed they are. . .

As far as the complete brake failure after the one line burst, I have no scientific answer for you. In my mind, it could have been that there was just so much fluid loss that there wasn't enough pressure to make the other brakes work properly. Also the master cylinder in the 350Z is no where near powerful enough to handle the larger capacity of the Akebono calipers. There's also a few threads floating around here regarding how the ABS system in the 350Z chassis is not the most compatible when upgrading to the Akebonos, again due to their larger size. So I'm just assuming here, but it's probably a collective result of all these variables.

Last edited by pfregeolle; 04-16-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
There is something about the OP’s story I don’t understand. I’ve been told that all brake systems in use over the past 50 or so years have dual circuits in the master cylinder, each one powering two of the four wheel brakes. In the event of a component failure and loss of fluid, the pedal will drop an inch or two (but not to the floor) and still engage two of the four wheels brakes. Usually one front and one rear in a diagonal fashion.

Why did the loss of only one line cause the total loss of all brakes?
You're thinking of the combo valve.

It will shut off flow to the side with the leak when pressure is applied. I'm guessing he didn't pump the brakes a few times to get it sealed off.

Also, when going 60 down an off ramp and you lose pressure on your brake pedal I'm sure it feels like you have no brakes left.

I've had a wheel cylinder blow out while sitting at a red light in my old Chevy pickup. I was sitting there and the truck started rolling all of a sudden. I pressed the pedal harder and it stopped, then after a few seconds started rolling again. Again I pressed it harder to stay stopped. Then when it turned green I took off and just tested the brakes and they were hardly there so I pulled off in a parking lot and checked it out.

If he had hit the brakes a couple more times he probably would have regained partial braking. But typical human reaction is panic and he probably didn't think to pump them. They went away once so they are no more.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Thanks for the diagram...
Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 AM
pfregeolle

Just to keep things out in the open, here is the PM I just sent back to Coz. Out of courtesy and respect to his privacy, I won't post what he sent me directly. But basically it stated that he wish I would have contacted him directly, and that he's happy to reimburse me for the new lines I purchased. Also that he wants his customers to be satisfied, so he wants to make things right.

PM:

"Coz,

Thanks for reaching out; First off I just want to say that I was never trying to bash you directly. You've always been immediately responsive and helpful with my inquires since the beginning. And I even mentioned that you replaced my original rear lines free of charge, in my first post.

I revised my original post to clarify that the brakes lines could have been either your original CZP lines, or the Technafit lines. I'm pretty sure that the fronts lines that were on the car were your original lines that were supplied with your kit. Also, in your for sale thread for the Akebono kit, you have the brake lines listed as "CZP 350Z / 370Z Teflon Coated Stainless Steel Brake Lines." So one would assume that they are made in-house by your shop, or made to your specs, and sold under your name.

While replacing my lines on Saturday night, I originally did set the line aside so that I could send it back to you - not in a request to be reimbursed, but simply to show the danger that could have occurred. I can reach out to the shop where I replaced them, and see if by chance the lines are still sitting in the trash can where I threw them, in which case I'll be happy to send them your way.

I'm not asking for you to reimburse me for the Z1 lines, although I do greatly appreciate the gesture. I have been able to come to you in the past (like my issue with the rear lines), and you helped me out. But I figured that my purchase was so long ago, and what chances would I have with you believing my story that I would get replacements. The way I saw it, I just didn't want to bother hassling you about new lines, nor did I want to have replacements of the same lines that kept failing me. I understand that I'm one of only a few people that might be experiencing this, but I assure you that the lines are/were being installed correctly, bled correctly, and never over-heated or used in track situations.

I'm glad to see that you're all about customer satisfaction, and making things right. But so far, I just haven't seen the quality from the brake lines in the kit that I would have expected for the amount of $$ paid for the kit as a whole.

Regards,

Paul"
Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM
BigBlue

a pic or two of my Akebono front brake lines; it doesn't show much, but I would agree that 1" longer line would be an improvement for fronts, rears look fine.

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-17-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM
pfregeolle

Is the bracket on your strut, something that's built into your strut or did it come on the brake line already?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by pfregeolle
Is the bracket on your strut, something that's built into your strut or did it come on the brake line already?
To be honest I have no idea. It looks like a good thing to have though.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 92K1500
You're thinking of the combo valve.

It will shut off flow to the side with the leak when pressure is applied. I'm guessing he didn't pump the brakes a few times to get it sealed off.

Also, when going 60 down an off ramp and you lose pressure on your brake pedal I'm sure it feels like you have no brakes left.

I've had a wheel cylinder blow out while sitting at a red light in my old Chevy pickup. I was sitting there and the truck started rolling all of a sudden. I pressed the pedal harder and it stopped, then after a few seconds started rolling again. Again I pressed it harder to stay stopped. Then when it turned green I took off and just tested the brakes and they were hardly there so I pulled off in a parking lot and checked it out.

If he had hit the brakes a couple more times he probably would have regained partial braking. But typical human reaction is panic and he probably didn't think to pump them. They went away once so they are no more.
That is a diagram of a fancy proportioning valve, instead look up a cutaway of a Nissan dual circuit master cylinder (I’m on my phone so I can’t put one up). The first piston is connected to the brake pedal and pushes fluid out the first outlet to two of the four wheels. It also pushes some of this fluid down the cylinder bore driving a second piston that sends fluid to the remaining two wheels. If a line breaks on the first circuit and hydraulic pressure is lost, the 1st piston will also lose fluid between it and the 2nd piston. In this case it will simply move forward a bit until it makes mechanical contact with the second piston and will be able to keep full pressure to the other two wheels.

My dad used to build complete breaking systems for old hot rods and re-powered vintage cars. He was always sending me all over the place to get 1960s Lincoln, Corvette etc proportioning valves to tune the systems. The valve limits the amount of line pressure to the rear wheels to keep them from skidding on hard stops. The valve you have shown is pretty fancy as it has an electrical circuit that will activate a warning light if there is something amiss.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:25 PM
2000atlanticgt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have my front StopTech SS lines mounted different than what I am seeing people post here. I can get a photo tomorrow but my routing looks just like the photo shown in this StopTech installation manual for their brake kit. I still have stock Brembo but my routing is the same.

From caliper, bolted to the front side of the upright (flat area parallel to the wheel/tire), then curves around the upright to the hard line connection. There are no sharp bends at all in this routing and mine have been like this since 2010 with no issues.

Page 18 and 19 of this manual. I do not have the black bracket anymore so my mounting method is exactly like what is shown on top right picture of page 19.

http://stoptech.com/docs/installatio...98-646-1450-02
Old 04-18-2014, 04:18 AM
pfregeolle

Originally Posted by 2000atlanticgt
I have my front StopTech SS lines mounted different than what I am seeing people post here. I can get a photo tomorrow but my routing looks just like the photo shown in this StopTech installation manual for their brake kit. I still have stock Brembo but my routing is the same.

From caliper, bolted to the front side of the upright (flat area parallel to the wheel/tire), then curves around the upright to the hard line connection. There are no sharp bends at all in this routing and mine have been like this since 2010 with no issues.

Page 18 and 19 of this manual. I do not have the black bracket anymore so my mounting method is exactly like what is shown on top right picture of page 19.

http://stoptech.com/docs/installatio...98-646-1450-02
That's exactly how mine are now mounted with the Z1 lines. Before with the lines that were provided from CZP, they were no where near long enough to do that properly hence the rubbing-through.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 AM
2000atlanticgt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are photos from my car and how I have the StopTech lines routed. I installed these in 2010 and have had zero issues with them.

Name:  IMG_8261_zpsa24b125b.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8262_zpse2330e6d.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8263_zps4fc20b7a.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8264_zps9eaa5494.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  78.9 KB
Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 AM
BigBlue

^Good pics, it looks like the logical route to go.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM
pfregeolle

Yup, that's how mine are mounted now. They were nothing like that before, because the lines weren't long enough to route correctly like that.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you guys using Brembos ever considered using SS lines that replicate the OEM rubber ones installed by Nissan? I am attaching a link to Z1 Motorsports' website. By using the factory design, part of the line bolts to a fixture on the suspension and the second part threads into the brembo without using banjo bolts. It's a lot better setup than home-made brackets or zip ties.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=5200

You will not have any problems with rubbing and/or chaffing, something Nissan for liability reasons obviously wanted to avoid.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Is CZP still selling these exact SS lines with the kit? I purchased this kit a year ago and everything has been solid so far. Quality of the SS lines seemed decent when I inspected them.