Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Strange rear braking noise HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:38 AM
kysersolze350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Strange rear braking noise HELP

I have a 2008 350z and when im driving on flat surfaces slowly and coming to a stop at slow speed applying brakes i hear a click click click click sound coming from rear,,,,,,Not sure what it is,,,pads are fine,,,,, like a creaking clicking sound,,,,sounds louder against other parked cars when coming to stop or puling in driveway coming to a stop,,,but only when putting braks on,,,,,Any help would be great I did some research and some said LINK ENDS going bad IDK,,,,I have a gold platinum warranty with this car ,,wonder if this would be something covered IDK,,,,i have 70K on the car and it just started with this noise???TY for all replies...
Old 05-10-2015, 09:50 AM
kysersolze350Z

I just listened to end link noise on utube ! Its definently not that bad of a sound damn ! SO what could it be while just applying brakes in rear???????? IM HEARING WHEEL BEARING POSSIBLE BUT IT ONLY DOES IT WHEN I BRAKE THATS WHAT I CANT FIGURE OUT ??? Doesnt do it when tire is rotating at slow speeds at all,,only when breaks are applied coming to a stop

Last edited by kysersolze350Z; 05-10-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Kysersolze, this seems like the common creak/click sound that can come from the axle shaft splines where they mate with the corresponding splines in the hub. To confirm that diagnosis find a quiet place and slowly brake to a stop in reverse listening for the axle click. Next shift to first gear and slowly let out the clutch, you will also hear the same clicking sound as the car starts to pull forward. If your case fits these symptoms then the splines need to be lubricated. There is a Nissan service bulletin outlining this as well as quite a few posts here on practical ways of handling it.

Let us know if this seems is what your car is doing and we will dig out some instructions on how to fix it.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:14 PM
kysersolze350Z

I tried what you said Jennifer and it does not make a click in reverse or any noise at all in reverse,,,,as well as putting it in first gear?????? Only when i brake to a stop ,,before the stop while braking it makes a click click click click sound till i come to a complete stop........no noise what so ever while driving slowly forward or in reverse matter of fact it does not make the crazy clicking sound while braking in reverse,,,only forward and on level surfaces mostly,,,,,not down hill or up hill,,,every now n than it will do it on an uneven surface maybe one time,,,,,,it sounds like tatttattattatatatatatat when brakes applied to a stop at slow speeds not fast speeds ?????? strange

Last edited by kysersolze350Z; 05-10-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Jack the car up and check for bearing play, when they start to wear they will do strange things.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, since it didn’t respond to the axle click diagnostic test, you will have to take off the wheel and check for a loose caliper mounting plate bolt, or the rear dust shield bent and touching the rotor, or as Italianjoe has stated excessive play in the wheel bearing. One other thing that would cause a low speed clicking under braking would be loose lug bolts on one of the rear wheels. Check that one right away!
Old 05-13-2015, 02:13 PM
kysersolze350Z

No bearing play at all....pads are half worn at best,,,,,,,,calipers are in place,,,,,,heat shield rear is fine not bent,,,,,and noise stopped just starting and driving less than a mile to work and the return drive,,,,,,,,seems to do it when car is hot and running a while ?????? Than the sound comes???? Strange as hell ???? I have a 250 deductible gold plus extended warranty........may have dealer look at it cause i have no idea what it could be?????? Weird !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM
kysersolze350Z

If i back up down the drive way and pull forward in first gear and stop ,,,coming to the stop i hear a click type noise coming from behind underneath somewhere,,,,,like a dull weird sound ,,,,,but this past sunday all day coming to a stop it sounded like tap tap tap tap tap tap while applying breaks,,,,,when i put breaks on in am going to work less than a mile it does not do it,,,,,,,i think after its warmed up and heated it does it ????? Strange???? Any ideas
Old 05-14-2015, 02:28 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Check the brake dust shields aren't fouling.
& just get a video up if you can, much easier to help diagnose.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:41 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Clean your keyboard, your punctuation keys are sticking.