Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Issues with HKS Coilovers Failure Hypermax GT IV Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:28 AM
Gunkata

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Issues with HKS Coilovers Failure Hypermax GT IV Setup

I purchased my car in April of last year with brand new HKS Hypermax GT IV coilovers on it, and they were clean as a whistle. I had put maybe 2,500 miles on the car since that time, with about 4 autox days and 2-3 HPDE sessions, and then had a failure during a normal street drive about 2 months ago. (see pics below).

I understand that I am not the original owner/purchaser, but HKS would not do anything for me, nor could they explain why this happened. It appears to be some kind of defect, I’d think, but unknown as to why this happened. My car was not “slammed”, but was lowered slightly below stock ride height. HKS has commented that the dampening levels should not matter or impact the life of the setup.

To make it worse, they could only order pairs in a set (Front or Rear), but had none in stock in the US, only full setups. To make things worse, this occurred just a few days before the first HPDE of 2016, so I was under the gun on time and ended up having to order a full new set. I went ahead and replaced the rears, then thinking I would have backup replacements for the other 3 corners now as well.

Has anyone else had something like this happen on such relatively new coilovers, for any brand for that matter? I am just extremely disappointed in the amount I needed to spend and HKS’ lack of understanding or initiative to really help in any way, shape, or form. No offer of partial reimbursement or a credit, nothing, zip. For a brand who has been around so long and seems to most, to have a strong reputation, I found it very frustrating. In the end, is this going to happen again? Is this “normal” by any means, and does anyone have any experience with a failure like this?

Pics:

Name:  234235.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  85.4 KB
Name:  1345.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  168.7 KB

Last edited by Gunkata; 07-26-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As you are not the original purchaser, you pretty much do not have a leg to stand on.
You never had a contract with HKS, so they have no obligation to help in any way.

Now that you purchase a new set, then that set is warranty by HKS.
But the used set you bought is pretty much a door stop now sadly.

I do find that is the issue with many of the big JDM brands.
They just don't have the product support necessary, nor the expertise for specific product as they carry such as wide range for so many cars.

Sadly, this is the risk you took buying a used set at a cheaper price.
Sorry to hear about your trouble.
At least the new set is under warranty should the same thing happen, assuming it is in warranty and it is covered by them.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:13 AM
Gunkata

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
As you are not the original purchaser, you pretty much do not have a leg to stand on.
You never had a contract with HKS, so they have no obligation to help in any way.

Now that you purchase a new set, then that set is warranty by HKS.
But the used set you bought is pretty much a door stop now sadly.

I do find that is the issue with many of the big JDM brands.
They just don't have the product support necessary, nor the expertise for specific product as they carry such as wide range for so many cars.

Sadly, this is the risk you took buying a used set at a cheaper price.
Sorry to hear about your trouble.
At least the new set is under warranty should the same thing happen, assuming it is in warranty and it is covered by them.
I completely agree on the first part and admitted to the same in my post.

The set was "used", but was just put on the car and was the cleanest suspension setup on a car i've ever seen. It was spotless and had just been purchased.. we are not talking about thousands of miles or years of usage. The car was owned by a very big and well known local shop who installed them for the owner to use as a track car, yet he never really got a chance to use it. They claimed only 200 miles on the setup when I purchased the car April, 2015.

So, that all said, it was very odd to have this happen on what was essentially a 1 year old set with minimal miles of usage, that is my first point.

2nd point - yes, odd they don't stock any sets or single items for the setup, so I was essentially forced to buy a full new set. Even the HKS US support advised the pairs (sold only in front or rear, no singles) were quite expensive and better off to buy a full set. So, support /stock was a frustration as well.

And finally, I know I wasn't the original owner, but such an odd failure on such a new set, it was very disappointing that nothing could be done at all - not a credit, not a discount, nothing. I am basically forced to buy a full new set of coilovers and have no clue if this could or would happen again, or if it was just a freak accident.

While HKS support was kind and courteous to deal with, I was just hoping for something in the way of working with me to some extent.

Last edited by Gunkata; 07-26-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Nocturnal

The sad truth is that the kit could of been brand new in the box, if you never bought it "new", then you don't get warranty like a "new" kit would have.
HKS in this case has all the right in the world to just dust their hand off and say "not my problem".
It could be a freak issue, it could be a faulty part, but since it doesn't have a warranty then it's all on you.

The fact that they don't hold parts seems to be a bit of a pain, as that isn't really what you want to hear.
Nothing worst than having no product support, especially on an item that is classified as a wear and tear item.

But a failure like that above I would of thought HKS would at least want to help.
If this was a leaking damper than fair enough, but having the entire lower section broken off like that I have say isn't very common.

While they did not have to do anything, I would of say a "good will" gesture would of been nice.
Especially since you bought another set from them.
But that will depend on how HKS USA is structured.
If they are just a distributor and all they get is the margin in the middle when selling a new kit, then it isn't in their interests to make any less as the brand image isn't really their priority.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:54 AM
Gunkata

yep, agreed/already stated on warranty issue/concern. But yes, would have been nice for some kind of gesture, something, to be done.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Nocturnal

Originally Posted by Gunkata
yep, agreed/already stated on warranty issue/concern. But yes, would have been nice for some kind of gesture, something, to be done.
I find with bigger brand names, they tend to have clear rules and they stick to it.
So not very common to find "good will" gesture from them.

Stories like yours are not unheard of with other larger brands such as Tein and KW.
You may get lucky, but generally they do follow their rules to the letter.

Well, what is done is done now.
At least you have some spares now, or you can talk with HKS to see if they can repair / replace that one broken unit so you have a used set to sell to help recoup some money.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Gunkata

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
I find with bigger brand names, they tend to have clear rules and they stick to it.
So not very common to find "good will" gesture from them.

Stories like yours are not unheard of with other larger brands such as Tein and KW.
You may get lucky, but generally they do follow their rules to the letter.

Well, what is done is done now.
At least you have some spares now, or you can talk with HKS to see if they can repair / replace that one broken unit so you have a used set to sell to help recoup some money.
Indeed, I have had a shock failure on a KW set that was relatively new, but that was just the shock, a piece of the actual metal setup didn't just snap off like this, lol.

Yep, spares are good.. and no, you don't want to repair that, probably.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:47 PM
CJs_Z33

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm. I have that same coilovers. But only use it to go to work and back. Thats something ill keep my eye on.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:24 AM
Gunkata

Originally Posted by CJs_Z33
Hmm. I have that same coilovers. But only use it to go to work and back. Thats something ill keep my eye on.
Indeed. Besides the handful of driving days, it was barely driven and only around town. I had literally only put about 3000 miles on them, give or take.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:46 PM
Gunkata

Other side just went out... must be a manufacturing issue. A real shame, esp at this price point.