Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

New member here, need advice on purchasing an HR

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 06:11 PM
lcmenair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here, need advice on purchasing an HR

Hi all,

My name is Lucien and I've just signed up. I've been out of the performance car thing for a while (grad school will do that) but now that I have a 'real' job, I'd like to get a car for the weekends to enjoy on these glorious California roads. Since the Z came out, I've always been interested in it. I drove an '06 a very long time ago, but at the time I didn't like it. I was into straight line type V8 cars, and the Z felt slow. I've been driving a 100hp Mazda 2 for the past 3 years (and a 135hp first gen RX-7 for four years prior to that!) so I've learned to appreciate cars without rocketship acceleration.

On that note, I decided to look more seriously into the 370 and 350z. After having driven both, I have to say I prefer the 350z. It seems to have a bit more character and I think it looks significantly better as well. I don't actually mind the rather cheap materials in the cabin as I like the design.

A dealer near me has a 2008 350z 6mt. I can't recall the spec on it, but it didn't have a screen in the dash, so I don't think it was a touring model. The odometer was showing 70k miles on the clock, not bad for a 8 year old car. The car felt mostly solid with the exception of a rattle in the back and the engine feeling slightly thrashy up top (I think I've read this is a common VQ trait). The clutch, steering, and shifter all felt pretty good. Its a 2 owner car with no accidents in it's history.

I was a little worried about the oil pressure gauge reading almost zero at idle. Is this normal? The reading was normal while driving around. The paint was mostly good but the clear coat was pretty baked in a spot on the roof. A couple of dings here and there on the body, and some curb rash on the wheels. Basically it looks like a 90k mile car rather than a 70k mile car, in my opinion.

The dealer is asking $14,999 for it. I guess my question is, is this a fair amount for the car I've described? I'm gonna be going backwards in year and forwards in miles if I trade my 2 for it, and I'd like to not regret that.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome- and I'd be a bit concerned about that low reading on the oil pressure gauge as well. It could be a defective sending unit, but getting a full (independent) mechanical assessment should be a must for a purchase like this. As for price, and depending on which model this Z is, KBB says the dealer is about a grand high, but you should check your own sources to get a more accurate figure.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:21 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Regardless of trim level, I don't think I'd pay that money for a car with bad paint. It shows lack of care from the previous owners.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:47 PM
lcmenair

I think I'm gonna pass on this car. I might throw them an offer of 13.5k and see what they say. I'd really like a black track-optioned car with less than 70k miles. I realize that's gonna be tough to find. Thanks for the advice guys. I hope I can find a good one.

Last edited by lcmenair; 01-02-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:28 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Just be patient the right one will come along. I would pass unless they come down a bit $12-13k seems to be the going rate if its immaculate then 15-17k and a nismo can be had for 20-22k if your real patient... If you check out the marketplace sometimes you find some good buys on someones garage queen. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Tochigi_236

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Just be patient the right one will come along. I would pass unless they come down a bit $12-13k seems to be the going rate if its immaculate then 15-17k and a nismo can be had for 20-22k if your real patient... If you check out the marketplace sometimes you find some good buys on someones garage queen. Good luck.
I wish I could've bought my Nismo for 20-22k.
The following users liked this post:
dboyzalter (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5352037012.html

The pain is real.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:17 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by lcmenair
I think I'm gonna pass on this car. I might throw them an offer of 13.5k and see what they say. I'd really like a black track-optioned car with less than 70k miles. I realize that's gonna be tough to find. Thanks for the advice guys. I hope I can find a good one.
No track version for the HR cars, unfortunately. When I bought my 08 I specifically decided on a base car, after thinking about the options on the higher level cars. I didn't want leather, the crappy Bose, nav, cruise, or the traction control. Also didn't want the VLSD because I knew I'd upgrade too Quaife. And really all I wanted from the other version was the Brembo brakes. So, base it was, and I added the brakes, real LSD, Nismo suspension and S-Tune exhaust, and nav and good sound system myself. Less expense in the end, and it's just the way I wanted it.
The following users liked this post:
dboyzalter (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:28 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by dcains
No track version for the HR cars, unfortunately. When I bought my 08 I specifically decided on a base car, after thinking about the options on the higher level cars. I didn't want leather, the crappy Bose, nav, cruise, or the traction control. Also didn't want the VLSD because I knew I'd upgrade too Quaife. And really all I wanted from the other version was the Brembo brakes. So, base it was, and I added the brakes, real LSD, Nismo suspension and S-Tune exhaust, and nav and good sound system myself. Less expense in the end, and it's just the way I wanted it.
Sometimes I wish mine was a base model... I do love my seats though
Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 PM
dcains

I like the grip of the cloth, and they're more comfortable when they're hot or cold. 65k miles and they still look new, but I do shampoo them with the woolite fabric cleaner at least once a year.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:15 AM
lcmenair

I think they really want to sell me this car. They have called me several times despite their initial "this car won't last long!" tactic. I'm thinking about offering 13.5k and see what they say. Do you think that's a fair amount for a reasonably clean '08 with 71k miles? The tricky thing is how I can get them to get an independent inspection of the oil pressure gauge/sending unit. Anyone have any experience in dealing with such issues?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Tochigi_236

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Best advice I can give, is to take it to Nissan and spend the $100 to have them inspect the vehicle. If the oil pressure issue is a determining factor for whether or not you make this purchase, then $100 for the peace of mind is well worth it.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:04 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Tochigi_236
Best advice I can give, is to take it to Nissan and spend the $100 to have them inspect the vehicle. If the oil pressure issue is a determining factor for whether or not you make this purchase, then $100 for the peace of mind is well worth it.
^^^^ Good call, this.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 PM
dcains

Offer $12k. If you offer 13.5 they'll ask you to meet them at 14, and even if the oil pressure is OK, you've still got a big expense to repair the bad paint. Failing that, wait for a better car, as you see gems on here all the time guys with some patience find.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:51 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Offer $12k. If you offer 13.5 they'll ask you to meet them at 14, and even if the oil pressure is OK, you've still got a big expense to repair the bad paint. Failing that, wait for a better car, as you see gems on here all the time guys with some patience find.
like stulax got from me
Old 01-06-2016, 06:58 PM
dcains

Get clear on the trim level, too, as that really does make a difference, at least in the blue nook value. Every @hole car dealer will tell you a base is a track, and an enthusiast is a gt, and of course, they're just looking at the higher number. Regardless of what you want in options, don't pay for ones that aren't there.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:00 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Get clear on the trim level, too, as that really does make a difference, at least in the blue nook value. Every @hole car dealer will tell you a base is a track, and an enthusiast is a gt, and of course, they're just looking at the higher number. Regardless of what you want in options, don't pay for ones that aren't there.
true story, my stealership said my touring was a grand touring.....
Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 PM
lcmenair

Originally Posted by travlee
true story, my stealership said my touring was a grand touring.....
It's definitely a base after looking at the ad again. That's fine for me though. I don't really like gadgets, and it seems the LSD isn't very great from the factory anyways. All I really want to do with the car is a big brake kit, good LSD, and some BBW wheels with good rubber. Maybe a twin plate clutch/lightweight flywheel down the road when the stocker gives out. Then just have fun with it.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:23 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I think 12k is a very fair offer from you... I wouldn't go much higher if they want to sell it that's what you would be willing to pay.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:41 PM
lcmenair

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I think 12k is a very fair offer from you... I wouldn't go much higher if they want to sell it that's what you would be willing to pay.
That's a good idea. I think I will tell them 12k cash or 13k with my trade in.

Quick Reply: New member here, need advice on purchasing an HR