Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Problem with CNR Pulley???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:35 PM
liudacris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with CNR Pulley???

I got the CNR pulley set installed about 1 month ago (~1000 miles) and it was great. Not much added noise or vibrations and improved throttle response.

In the past week, I thought I could hear a slight squeal, but couldn't tell for sure. But today, it's getting pretty loud and I can hear it for sure. I think it is from the crank pulley. The belts LOOK like they are on straight and aren't slipping, but I'm no mechanic. I did a search and saw talk about the bearings, but I'm not sure how to check this exactly or if that is even an issue.

What can I do to check what the problem is/solve it?
Anyone else have problems with the CNR?

Don't tell me i hafta go back to stock...
Old 05-16-2006, 02:40 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have any problems so far with my CNR pullies. I have had them on for about a month and a half and have no evidence of squealing or wobbling as some have mentioned. Does your squeal happen upon startup and go away after a few seconds or minutes? If this is the case, I would say that your belt may be loose and slipping. Just throwing ideas out there for ya!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:54 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet the belt is slipping. Simply tighten it...
Old 05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
liudacris

The squeal is constant.

How would I tighten it? Sorry...I'm a newb in this aspect.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:47 AM
punish_her

theideler pulley. It's an justable pulley that puts tension on the belt. Service manual page EM-14 give her a look.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM
liudacris

After some searching I found a service manual! woot!

I'm gonna try to tackle this later today.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:45 AM
teh215

Originally Posted by liudacris
After some searching I found a service manual! woot!

I'm gonna try to tackle this later today.
Don't get too excited. In order to get to the tensioner adjustment bolt, you are going to have to remove the 12 bolts that hold the plastic splash pan under the car while it is up on jackstands. A few people have said that they can do it from above but, I suspect that they have really skinny arms.

Good Luck
Old 05-19-2006, 09:45 AM
liudacris

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
Does your squeal happen upon startup and go away after a few seconds or minutes? If this is the case, I would say that your belt may be loose and slipping. Just throwing ideas out there for ya!
Actually...it's quiet on startup and comes after warming up. Could it be too tight?

ugh...i finally had time to try to tackle this, but no luck The squeal is still there. How do you guys fit a torque wrench in that tight spot provided for the tension bolt? I could barely fit a small ratchet and just tightened it a few rounds.

Any other ideas? Since I don't know the exact cause of this...approximately how bad is it for my engine for the belts to be like this? I don't wanna run like this much longer and may just bring it into a shop if desperation hits

Last edited by liudacris; 05-19-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 AM
liudacris

This is the section of the Service Manual I'm working from.
Attached Thumbnails Problem with CNR Pulley???-adjusting-idler-pulley.jpg  
Old 05-19-2006, 10:21 AM
punish_her

Yep same page I told him to look at. Good stuff posting it for people who dont have it.

putting the car on stands, removing the under tray and get at it from the bottom. You realy dont need to use a torque wrench to tension the bolt, you need a tensioner guage to show how much deflection you have under a specific load on the belt. Or the southern way of doing it, push on the AC belts and give it the same feal as that one.

To get at it from the bottom you'll need some extensions and a swivel socket adapter.

I like the Auto tensioners on the 200sx's GA16DE's. They have a massive spring load that pushes on the pulley. To remove belts you put a breaker bar in the square 1/2 hole and pull back. To tension you just let it go.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 AM
liudacris

Originally Posted by punish_her
you need a tensioner guage to show how much deflection you have under a specific load on the belt. Or the southern way of doing it, push on the AC belts and give it the same feal as that one.

To get at it from the bottom you'll need some extensions and a swivel socket adapter.

I like the Auto tensioners on the 200sx's GA16DE's. They have a massive spring load that pushes on the pulley. To remove belts you put a breaker bar in the square 1/2 hole and pull back. To tension you just let it go.
You kinda lost me there...but I'll try the "southern way of doing it" I just checked the tension and it feels tighter than the AC belts now

I just put her back together :/
Old 05-19-2006, 01:55 PM
liudacris

Ok...I just figured out its actually the a/c ompression belt thats squealin like a pig, not the alternator/power steering belt. but now, i'm all lost in regards to how tight things should be since I dont have a tensioner gauge, and cant do it the "southern way" mentioned by punish_her because i've been playing with the tensions the whole time...help?!?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:24 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each belt has it's own tensioner pulley, so just tighten each one a bit. I've also heard of the alternator pulley itself making a constant squealing sound (not belt related) on some VQ cars.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:37 PM
liudacris

Ok...well i just tightened both pullies. The main squealing went away. There is a slight hiss, but I'm not sure if I'm listening too hard or just paranoid since I "guesstimated" everything since I don't have a tensioner gauge. Thanks for the help everyone and definitely couldn't done this without the service manual (good call punish_her!
Attached Thumbnails Problem with CNR Pulley???-em-14.jpg  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:18 AM
liudacris

ugh...the squealing is back...and the belts are tight...what now?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Klumzyee

there anyway to squeeze a torque in there?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 AM
NJDAN

mine squeals when you start the car and then goes away after 5 seconds, when I get a chance I will tighten the belts. No big deal..
Old 08-01-2006, 03:30 AM
Havok_RLS2

Besides the fact that I've already proven after testing (at my own expense) that hardcoating or no hardcoating, the metal is too soft to the point that the front main seal wears into the main pulley and causes major oil leaks.

This has been proved after about 5000 miles of driving. Oil began to leak from the front main seal. At first we thought that the front main seal had been damaged during pulley installation or something to cause the leak. Upon removal of the main pulley I noticed that groves had been worn into the metal that matched up perfectly to the rubber main seal. Oil had been leaking from the motor at a rate of about 1 quart per week. The whole bottom of the motor and frame had covered in oil which was then blowing oil all over the exhaust causing a burning smell after driving. This isn't the first time I've posted this information and I feel even worse since I sponsored CNR to run their GB on this site.
Since then I've no long done any other business with the company. Please take this as a warning. If you're not having any problems yet then thats good but please understand that you might in the future. If you're considering purchasing this pulley set... I wouldn't advise that at all until CNR revises their production methods to include the steel sleaving like the UR pulleys do. Or else.... Don't do pulleys at all and just do it the right way by getting a lighten flywheel. Best of luck to you all.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:56 AM
teh215

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Besides the fact that I've already proven after testing (at my own expense) that hardcoating or no hardcoating, the metal is too soft to the point that the front main seal wears into the main pulley and causes major oil leaks.

This has been proved after about 5000 miles of driving. Oil began to leak from the front main seal. At first we thought that the front main seal had been damaged during pulley installation or something to cause the leak. Upon removal of the main pulley I noticed that groves had been worn into the metal that matched up perfectly to the rubber main seal. Oil had been leaking from the motor at a rate of about 1 quart per week. The whole bottom of the motor and frame had covered in oil which was then blowing oil all over the exhaust causing a burning smell after driving. This isn't the first time I've posted this information and I feel even worse since I sponsored CNR to run their GB on this site.
Since then I've no long done any other business with the company. Please take this as a warning. If you're not having any problems yet then thats good but please understand that you might in the future. If you're considering purchasing this pulley set... I wouldn't advise that at all until CNR revises their production methods to include the steel sleaving like the UR pulleys do. Or else.... Don't do pulleys at all and just do it the right way by getting a lighten flywheel. Best of luck to you all.
I am glad to see that you suddenly had this sudden revival of conscious to let people know your thoughts on this matter. The GB was over months ago and all of a sudden you decide to let everyone know the truth. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that your disruptive post in a FS thread for one of these pulley set got deleted, would it.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:22 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by teh215
I am glad to see that you suddenly had this sudden revival of conscious to let people know your thoughts on this matter. The GB was over months ago and all of a sudden you decide to let everyone know the truth. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that your disruptive post in a FS thread for one of these pulley set got deleted, would it.
Yes and No. I did put out this information a few weeks ago when I made the discovery in another thread that had something to do with "burning smell". Then Home boy pi$$ed me off by selling our members a product that I've already informed him was junk and was trying to sell it for $50.00 more than he paid for it.
I was just like everyone else and paid the same exact thing when I bought my set. CNR pi$$ed me off by giving our member sh!tty customer service after all of them paid in good faith and then stopped answering my call after I called them on their BS. Then come to discover that their pulley sets were made from crap metal that could have potetailly cause damage to my motor had I not been paying attention? Yeah... I'd say it's enough to erk me.

First and formost I am for the members of this forum and look out for them the same as I'd hope someone would look out for me.

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 08-01-2006 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Problem with CNR Pulley???