Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone make an OIL distribution block???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone make an OIL distribution block???

I own a Greddy TT set up and I want to add an aftermarket oil pressure sensor to supplement the OEM Sensor (because I have trust issues). However i don't want to add another sandwich plate. Granted I removed the stock oil warmer and only have an external oil cooler utilizing 1 Mocal sandwich plate, I still would rather do without an addt'l sandwich plate.

My proposed solution: an oil distribution block.

Does any vendor on this forum make one, or willing to make one?

or

Can the Vacuum distribution block (made by Powerlab) be used as an oil distribution block?
https://my350z.com/forum/engine/3529...power-com.html

Any recommendation are helpful.

So all in all I want a distribution block to provide individual oil supply to:
1) OEM Oil Pressure sensor
2) Aftermarket Oil Pressure sensor
3) first turbo
4) second turbo

I guess it would be convenient if the ports on the block were of the same compatible thread, which I think is 1/8 BSP. (Not 100% sure if that is the right thread)

Thanks for the feedback.

Here is my current set-up which supplies the OEM sensor and 2 turbo's. I just don't trust that over time this won't break:

And then by adding the additional sensor, that linear mesh of sensors gets kinda heavy and I don't think it will properly support the weight.

***Oh and by the way, I removed the RTV from the Mocal fittings and replaced it with the appropriate teflon tape for the oil cooler lines, so please don't give me a hard time about that. Just some old pics.***

Last edited by rrmedicx; 01-23-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTM Oil distribution adapter
-Billet Aluminum construction
-Easy installation between factory oil sensor and block
-Can be used for turbo system installation, or simple oil pressure sensor installation

http://gtmotorsports.com/product.php...cat=266&page=1

Sam

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 01-23-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:03 PM
rrmedicx

Hey Sam,
Thanks for responding but can the block you offer accommodate up to 4 lines/ports?

Do you have any better pics demonstrating the ports?

Perhaps even a pic of it on a car?
Thank you.

I am looking for something very similar to the Powerlab designed vacuum distribution block. In fact, if it can be used for oil, I would be perfectly fine buying one and using it for my application.

Just wanted to see if anyone would be willing to make one specific for oil, that's if it even needs to be redesigned.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 PM
rrmedicx

Someone may want to supply oil to a single turbo, or twin, an oil pressure gauge and maybe an oil temp gauge all at 1 time. That would be overlooking the need to still connect the OEM sensor, but so long as you can access the block from both ends, I guess the 5th port would be necessary after all. (7 openings in total w/ the block I purchased) 1 for primary feed into the block and 6 others for the aforementioned. Which if not utilized will be capped off.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 02-07-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 PM
rrmedicx

I found someone on this forum who improvised an oil distribution block, but it looks just like the vacuum block:
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...es-are-in.html

Just read into the 3 paragraph of openings thread (I think)...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Hey Sam,
Thanks for responding but can the block you offer accommodate up to 4 lines/ports?

Do you have any better pics demonstrating the ports?

Perhaps even a pic of it on a car?
Thank you.

I am looking for something very similar to the Powerlab designed vacuum distribution block. In fact, if it can be used for oil, I would be perfectly fine buying one and using it for my application.

Just wanted to see if anyone would be willing to make one specific for oil, that's if it even needs to be redesigned.
Here we go

Sam
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have your engine out.... your upper oil pan already has a built in oil distribution block, its just waiting for you to drill and tap holes in it. of course, this is not an option (well not recommended) with the engine in the car, but if you can remove the pan to perform these modifications and properly clean it afterwords, this is ultimately the cleanest way to do it.

i have a picture here from 2005 when i did my accessory clean up (off topic; i have a kit coming out for that in spring after 3 years of testing it reliable), i also cleaned up the oil and cooling system. part of it was to eliminate T fittings etc etc. one thing you need to note about the picture; if you do decide to do the same thing, where i have the oem oil pressure sensor is not recommended with the greddy turbo kit, the stock sensor is too big and the wiring plug is too close for comfort with the IC pipe from the drivers turbo that comes across there. other turbo kits it wouldnt be a concern.

if you take a look, behind the tie rod for my alternator belt tension, you can see a goldish plug behind there. after this pic was taken, i put my defi oil temp gauge sensor there, since you have an 03, that port is currently unused on your car as it was on mine. i will be swapping my oil pressure sensor there, and putting my temp where the oem pressure sensor currently is because it doesnt stick out as far and will clearance the IC pipe better.

the 2 fittings coming out are of course the turbo oil feeds. i highly recommend making new custom ones, the greddy ones are terrible quality.

this method is not only free, but its absolutely the cleanest. your oil pan has oil channels traveling thru there and you are simply tapping in.

if you are not comfortable drilling and tapping the pan, you can send it to us. but its not too bad.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 PM
rrmedicx

Sam: I like the block GTM is offering. The pic in the website does not do it justice.
Also, it lacks any detail in the description of the product as to how many actual ports it can supply.

Charles: I love the clean look of your mod, but it requires the motor to be out and disassembled to avoid any risk of metal contamination in the oil. And the addition of other mods like the removal of the alternator bracket in exchange for some handy adjustable hemi-joint. Love it, but too much work. Sorry Phunk.

I think the simplest solution is to create a proper distribution block that can accommodate upwards of 7 total ports -1 in and 6 out. (As stated above - no need to repeat) i will be capping off 2 leaving me with the 4 I need.

I still don't know how many ports the GTM version can ultimately supply - looks like 3.
(1 for each turbo in twin application and 1 for OEM sensor)

Last edited by rrmedicx; 02-07-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Ya it's best not to do it with the engine in, from your pics I assumed it was out. The heim joint isn't required, that is there to tension my belt since I have no idler pullies, so it's unrelated.. The oil lines are a simple drill and tap and you're done... But to be saved for engine removal unless you have the equipment to clean it properly.

If you need a ton of ports, just use a vacuum block... Same thing

Last edited by phunk; 01-23-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

If you just want to add the one sensor with the least work, remove the plug I mentioned and drill tap the plug thru the center to make it an adapter, and you are ready set go .. No need to touch anything else
Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 AM
rrmedicx

I would have to agree yours is the cleanest set-up thus far. But its not really an option since that is an old pic and my motor is in and running. I don't want to clutter anything up, but I do feel it is also a clean option. Thanks for the feedback Charles.

I think you were referring to the ball wedged into the front of that oil channel. I heard from Quadcam that it is a real Beatch to get that out of the way. I remember another thread about removing the entire oil cooler option (which I've done) but again that drill and tap mod came up a little too late for me to apply.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 AM
rrmedicx

Charles: Any reason to suspect why a vacuum distribution block wouldn't work for this purpose?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:14 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

I was actually referring to the threaded plug that is right there. In the picture I posted my adjustment rod is unfortunately blocking about 80% of the view, but it's right there in the pic at the middle of the aluminum rod peeking out the bottom. You just can unscrew the plug and turn the plug into an adapter by drilling and tapping thru the center of it. An option anyway.

I don't see a problem with using a vacuum block as long as it's not restrictive on the inside somehow.. Which I don't imagine any models being.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 AM
QuadCam

I am going with Phunk's setup, but I made my oil pan mods months ago (out of the car.)
Old 01-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Quamen

I'm going with Charles route also as soon as I start builing my motor in the next couple months here. It will make my supercharger oil supply so much cleaner looking!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 AM
rrmedicx

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good Luck Quamen. Take some pics of your work so we can all check it out.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 AM
rrmedicx

I found this in the oil cooler removal thread. I didn't even know it was there.
Look above the yellow circle. Is this the port you are referring to? That large bolt head?

Didn't know that was another high pressure source. I could plug my extra Oil Pressure sensor into that port. Cool Thanks Charles.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:26 AM
thom000001

if I were near my car I'd take a pic of my setup.....next time I'm out by the car I'll try to remember.

tom
Old 01-24-2009, 07:58 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
I found this in the oil cooler removal thread. I didn't even know it was there.
Look above the yellow circle. Is this the port you are referring to? That large bolt head?

Didn't know that was another high pressure source. I could plug my extra Oil Pressure sensor into that port. Cool Thanks Charles.
yup the large bolt head above the yellow circle is where i was talking about.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 AM
RandomHer0

Man I saw exactly what you are talking about somewhere on here I think, but can't find it. Essentially it was a custom piece of aluminum all drilled out.

Something like this...

Quick Reply: Anyone make an OIL distribution block???