Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

I turn off the car and my windows roll down...wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 PM
3_FILTHY_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I turn off the car and my windows roll down...wtf?

Ya, so I can't take my car anywhere if I expect to park it anywhere. As soon as I turn off my car, my windows rolls down at the same time and I can't roll them up using the key in the door or from the inside. Now, if I turn off the car, watch the windows roll down, then turn the key clockwise again, the windows will stop rolling down, turn the key counter clockwise again and they continue down. Now, I have disconnected my battery to try to reset a CEL code from a stupid sticking T-Stat which I'm going to replace with a NISMO version. Now, my windows have learned to go up and down at the top and bottom of each switch. If fact, they never forgot.

Could my regulator motors be going out at the same time? Just seems way to weird to go out at the same time.

I've read that you could take off the panels to push a button on the motors to reset them, but that's gonna blow, I have a warranty, I need to use it. Plus, I want them to make sure that this T-Stat didn't cause any other issues.

Here's what happens:
- In the car, car is running, windows are up
- Turn the car off, open the door, windows roll down
- Can not control the window as all
- Can only stop the window from rolling down by reinserting the key into the ignition again, but once pulled it rolls all the way down into the door

Last edited by 3_FILTHY_Z; 08-23-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What is T-Stat?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:31 AM
forcinduct

THERMOSTAT
Old 08-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Asian Invasian

I would try to reset them, it doesn't take more than an hour of work for both sides. Are both windows acting the exact same?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 AM
JMT

I do believe that is a feature, not an issue. Once you open the driver door, or after a defined period of time, the windows will no longer operate with the ignition off.

From the tech manual:

RETAINED POWER OPERATION
When the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position from ON or START position.

Power is supplied for 45 seconds
 to power window main switch terminal 10
 from BCM terminal 53.

When power and ground are supplied, the BCM continues to be energized, and the power window can be operated.

The retained power operation is canceled when the driver side door is opened.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 AM
3_FILTHY_Z

Originally Posted by Asian Invasian
I would try to reset them, it doesn't take more than an hour of work for both sides. Are both windows acting the exact same?
Yes they are.

I do believe that is a feature, not an issue. Once you open the driver door, or after a defined period of time, the windows will no longer operate with the ignition off.
Here's what they are doing: Car on, windows work like a charm, auto up/down, in between just fine. When I turn the car off, the windows role down without even opening the doors. The window switch has no control over the windows for some reason. Now if it's a feature, how would this all of a sudden start happening and how do I switch it back..?..lol

Oh and one more thing, using the key in the door handle to role up the windows don't work either.

Last edited by 3_FILTHY_Z; 08-23-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 AM
3_FILTHY_Z

Now, the windows only role down when the doors open. If I stay in the car and turn the car off they stay up.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 AM
3_FILTHY_Z

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
X2 I have worked on a few 370z's "not sure what car you have" but that is what they do automatically.
I have a 350Z, and I'm not talking about them lowering a 1/4 of an inch when I open the doors, they roll all the way down and stay down. Meaning they roll into the door and I can't roll them back up unless I insert the key into the ignition and turn to aux. The door handle clockwise feature doesn't work either.

Here's what happens:
- In the car, car is running, windows are up
- Turn the car off, open the door, windows roll down
- Can not control the window as all
- Can only stop the window from rolling down by reinserting the key into the ignition again, but once pulled it rolls all the way down into the door

Last edited by 3_FILTHY_Z; 08-23-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...just one of the little nuisances of our beaZts!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 AM
3_FILTHY_Z

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
...just one of the little nuisances of our beaZts!
ya, this is such a b!tch
Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Aha, but concentrate on the positive: Our 3.5 engine has been awarded the "Best Motor of the Automotive Industry" 14 years running by J. D. Power Index. Great cooling system. FLAWLESS AT (not so the MT, though). Overall "Much Better Than Average" reliability, according to CR Magazine...All in all, I truly believe we have a g-r-e-a-t Sports car in our driveway, dude! BTW, where's McKinney in TX? My son's stationed at the South Laredo Sector with the B.P., and just loves it there---'xept for the scorching temperatures, of course! I'm a CBP Officer down here at Puerto Rico, and your new friend!

Last edited by j.arnaldo; 08-23-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:42 PM
3_FILTHY_Z

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Aha, but concentrate on the positive: Our 3.5 engine has been awarded the "Best Motor of the Automotive Industry" 14 years running by J. D. Power Index. Great cooling system. FLAWLESS AT (not so the MT, though). Overall "Much Better Than Average" reliability, according to CR Magazine...All in all, I truly believe we have a g-r-e-a-t Sports car in our driveway, dude! BTW, where's McKinney in TX? My son's stationed at the South Laredo Sector with the B.P., and just loves it there---'xept for the scorching temperatures, of course! I'm a CBP Officer down here at Puerto Rico, and your new friend!
Best motor if you don't let a Nissan Dealer touch it. We're better off looking through Chilton's. McKinney is located in what's called "North Texas" which really is North East Texas. It's 1 county North of Dallas and about 30min. North on Hwy 75 from Downtown Dallas to Central McKinney. We only have 4 Exits, but it's growing like a SOB.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM
3_FILTHY_Z

Figured it out.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 AM
KPierson
Banned

What was it? It sounds like your key cylinder wire was shorted out or something along those lines.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 PM
bencurtis

yeah what was it, my driver's side window is doing the same thing!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:33 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

SO true, Filthy (I feel bad calling you like that!) I got one of 'em motors at AutoZone fer $160.00, plus labor (under $200.00). Lifetime guarantee. Peace of mind has no price, dude!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
klaze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you figure out what the problem was with this? it is happening to me right now and I cant go anywhere because of the fact that my windows go down right when I take my keys out and open the door.. if anyone knows a way to fix this, your help would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 AM
thisischuy

So what was causing the window to come down? This just started happening to my 2004 350 Z
Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Steve Lazarus

Guess it's a secret... Maybe he fixed it and sold the car...lol. But you would think he would have revisited this thread on it's third anniversary of figuring it out..

Last edited by Steve Lazarus; 08-31-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM
nismo99

must be a secret cause im having the same problem and only started happening after i got my battery changed and my whole alarm system was messed up too. would go off when the car was unlocked... computer maybe?? anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: I turn off the car and my windows roll down...wtf?