Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Shitty Aftermarket Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:18 PM
supahotfiya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, i just purchased a 350z and have owned it for about 5 monthes. Runs great, its a great vehicle. But i had to replace the headlights because the previous ones are flooded and didnt work. I got some shitty aftermarket ones and popped em in but the problem is that the turning singles are melting and keep popping. I figure there is an issue with having too much power but i dont know how to approach this since im sort of a noobie at car repair. (Firstcar aswell) any ideas on what i can do?

http://imgur.com/kBKVLDb

Just putting a photo of it aswell. Shes in pretty bad shape in the paint department. (Especially with a peeling cracked scorpion on the hood.... why....)

Last edited by SR71; 12-05-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 PM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you, I'd invest in new and better headlights... lol but if you wanna go the alternative route, try installing LED bulbs to replace your turning signal bulbs. They require a lot less power and I believe they do not get hot either, but not exactly sure. I mean, i installed an oversized super bright LED for my trunk light (costed $20) and it doesn't get hot at all, so I'd assume LED's don't get hot, as opposed to a halogen bulb. Also, you'll need to install 25 amp or 50 amp resistors for each LED turn signal as well if you don't like hyperblinking. Try superbrightleds.com and use their vehicle bulb finder. It's easy to select your preferred LED on there and that is where I buy all my bulbs. A lot of them are cheap as hell too!!

By the way, if you do decide to ever upgrade your headlights, look into grabbing a pair of OEM Bi-Xenon HID's from a 2006 or later 350z. I have them on mine and I freaking love them.

Last edited by SR71; 12-05-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:36 AM
supahotfiya

Originally Posted by CNunes_95
If I were you, I'd invest in new and better headlights... lol but if you wanna go the alternative route, try installing LED bulbs to replace your turning signal bulbs. They require a lot less power and I believe they do not get hot either, but not exactly sure. I mean, i installed an oversized super bright LED for my trunk light (costed $20) and it doesn't get hot at all, so I'd assume LED's don't get hot, as opposed to a halogen bulb. Also, you'll need to install 25 amp or 50 amp resistors for each LED turn signal as well if you don't like hyperblinking. Try superbrightleds.com and use their vehicle bulb finder. It's easy to select your preferred LED on there and that is where I buy all my bulbs. A lot of them are cheap as hell too!!

By the way, if you do decide to ever upgrade your headlights, look into grabbing a pair of OEM Bi-Xenon HID's from a 2006 or later 350z. I have them on mine and I freaking love them.
Man trust me id love a pair of those so much... i just needed working headlights immediately so ill get those FOR SURE in the future. I have a lot of plans with my car but its gonna be slow considering i rake in ******** every week lol. Im landing a job with at & t soon through my dad thatll help me out a LOT
Old 12-06-2014, 05:11 AM
supahotfiya

Originally Posted by CNunes_95

Any idea where i could find resistors of that amplitude though?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:30 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The problem is not having "too much power". Why don't you replace the missing fender liners and see what happens?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:42 PM
supahotfiya

Originally Posted by dcains
The problem is not having "too much power". Why don't you replace the missing fender liners and see what happens?
I have fender lines in. Plus i said they were melting through the housing

Last edited by supahotfiya; 12-06-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:05 PM
jtbinvalrico

Consider checking car-part.com for some used oem units. I'd look into undoing any other poorly-done mods and squaring the car away before moving on to other things.

Modding over old mods sucks and is a recipe for headaches. Get to stock, mod from there.