Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help Cranking but No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 AM
Catalinaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Cranking but No Start

My 05 Roadster doesn't get driven nearly enough however last time I was home I had a problem.

I had driven the car several times that day and other than the blinking airbag light nothing out of the ordinary.

I went out to head to the airport and it would crank just fine but never fired, not even an attempt to fire. I was scheduled to fly in a couple hours so I disconnected the battery and left it. Best I can describe is like back in High School when someone would steal the rotor out of the distributor. Excellent crank but nothing else.

I have the Torque App on my phone for my 6.0 Ford (that's the definition of a problem child) so I can read everything but need advice as to where to start looking.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 07-10-2015, 03:57 AM
Catalinaflyer

And just to add to the mystery, I just went out with my OBD2 adapter and Torque app. Initially it did the crank but no start again so I connected to read any codes which there were none. I then tried cranking it again to see of it registered RPM on the OBD2 and it fired right up.

I also discovered that it's been being driven while I was away, my daughter doesn't do a good job of covering her tracks but the seat was slid all the way up, stereo cranked on something I would never listen to and A/C wide open and a previously full tank of gas down to almost empty. Of course the reconnected battery was the first clue. Said she had her husband hook it up so she could get her CD's out of it.

So aside from figuring out the problem the keys will now be travelling with me.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Lol damn kids!
The following users liked this post:
Catalinaflyer (07-26-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 12:49 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

It sounds like it could be a crankshaft position sensor failing. I'm not sure of your diagnostic tool, but it should retain a code in memory (P0340) if that's the cause.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:03 AM
Catalinaflyer

Originally Posted by dkmura
It sounds like it could be a crankshaft position sensor failing. I'm not sure of your diagnostic tool, but it should retain a code in memory (P0340) if that's the cause.
That was my first thought as well but no stored or active codes. It seems that turning the key to the run position then waiting a few seconds it will start but going straight from off to start is where the problem is.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:18 PM
WiredOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Key transponder maybe? Same thing happens to me randomly once or twice a year.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:35 PM
jzk91

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

second on transponder. when i was carving new key for switch blade (w/o) transponder, it cranked but not fired. so if you have spare key you can try i guess?
Old 07-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Catalinaflyer

Oh wow, yeah I never thought of the key transponder. Unfortunately for me I only have the one key so I guess I'm off to the dealer next time I home for a second key to see if that fixes it.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

How old is your daughter? That would irritate me. But, can't tell if you're mad about that. Hope you get it working.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:56 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

you have a nats issue.... prob the key as others have stated
Old 07-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Catalinaflyer

Originally Posted by Pengu
How old is your daughter? That would irritate me. But, can't tell if you're mad about that. Hope you get it working.
She's 20. Not really mad, just wish she didn't mistake my trust with permission. If she had asked I would say go ahead. What upsets me is that she denied even when she knew that I knew better. That's okay, I used to leave my vehicle keys there just in case something happened and they needed wheels but no more, the keys are in my duffel bag with me.

Funny thing, same day I posted that I bought a new (to me) 09 F250 Super Duty that she and her husband have been drooling over for weeks. Had they asked before using the Z or admitted to using it when I asked I probably would have left them the keys to the truck but no more.

Originally Posted by travlee
you have a nats issue.... prob the key as others have stated
Is this typically just the chip in the key itself or something more on the car? And second question, can this just be disabled?