Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Strange Oil Activity Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:36 PM
aspellz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Oil Activity Question

I have an 04 z that just broke 100k miles. I recently drained the oil, however was only able to extract ~1 quart during the process. This was done on level jacks, then with an elevated tail/drivers side tire. No matter what orientation I was not able to get any more oil out of the engine, even after turning it over a few times.

To date the car has been babied and has had zero mechanical problems. I have never witnessed or smelled an oil leak of any kind (or any liquid for that matter) and the underbody is completely clean, so I'm a little vexed as to where the oil is going. The car has driven fine and the sensors have not tipped me off to anything. I know the engine will naturally burn off a little oil, however I highly doubt that I burned off almost 4 quarts since my last oil change (which I did stretch, ~10k miles ago, I know I know).

Is it normal for the car to eat up that much oil without any sign of where its gone? Or do I have a more serious internal problem I should be worrying about? I've scoured the manual and forums for any tips I may have missed on draining the AWOL oil, but alas I've found nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I could just be worrying about nothing! Thank you in advance!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:07 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

drinking problem....10K....Geez!

yes your car is burning oil...I would suggest oil changes closer to the 3K mark and keep and eye out between changes....top-off as needed.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:15 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

why would you go 10k miles without changing the oil?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 AM
aspellz

Originally Posted by travlee
why would you go 10k miles without changing the oil?
A good combination of procrastination, long commute and a lack of time.. and being an idiot. I'll be making sure I keep an eye on the miles more closely from now on when I travel to work so I keep on top of it.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 AM
aspellz

Originally Posted by jv350z
drinking problem....10K....Geez!

yes your car is burning oil...I would suggest oil changes closer to the 3K mark and keep and eye out between changes....top-off as needed.
Ok so it's a result of my own vices, I will keep on top of it. Thank you for the response! I'm going to go apologize to my car.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:11 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I can't believe your car didn't throw a code with only 1 quart of oil in it. Was your oil pressure gauge even giving a reading?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:12 PM
difranchise

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
I can't believe your car didn't throw a code with only 1 quart of oil in it. Was your oil pressure gauge even giving a reading?
Exactly.

Did you personally do the oil change? If not did a shop do it and then reset the code without putting enough oil in?

^^^ These are not likely. It is more likely that you CPU is not working properly and you simply burned some oil over 10k. Never rely on your CPU.

Simple observations, careful listening, and maintenance will keep you out of the shop.

Your car has a CPU that is 11 years old. Would you use a laptop that is 11 years old.....hell no.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:57 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by difranchise
Your car has a CPU that is 11 years old. Would you use a laptop that is 11 years old.....hell no.
I do. Bought mine in 2003. It still works like a top.

I only use it for web browsing, email and as an OBDII scan tool though.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by difranchise
Exactly.

Did you personally do the oil change? If not did a shop do it and then reset the code without putting enough oil in?

^^^ These are not likely. It is more likely that you CPU is not working properly and you simply burned some oil over 10k. Never rely on your CPU.

Simple observations, careful listening, and maintenance will keep you out of the shop.

What would the CPU have to do with low oil?