Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Green fluid leaking - 350z Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 PM
dani3ln3al

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Green fluid leaking - 350z Nismo

Soooooooo I turned on a wet road, lost traction, and spun out. My car went over the curb and in to the grass. Luckily it looks like most of the body damage is on the front bumper and front lip, I will for sure need to get those replaced. I pulled in to a parking lot to inspect my car for further damage and noticed that there was a green fluid leaking on to the pavement. In 5 minutes it left a puddle about the size of a shoe and after driving it half a mile there was an unpleasant smell in the car. I'm assuming the smell and leak is from my coolant, but I have no idea. Any thoughts? What would my repair process be?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:37 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Coolant. Find the leak. You may have wacked the radiator support and cracked the radiator. Not expensive parts, but a good amount of labor is involved. Could also just be the lower radiator hose, but really check that support, as it's fiberglass and easily cracked.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

The green fluid is antifreeze and you most likely damaged the radiator and/or lower radiator hose. You need to get the car lifted and get the front inspected to determine how much damage was done. If you haven't checked out the prices for a new NISMO V3 bumper and lip, you may be shocked. Might even want to use your collision insurance and pay the deductible if the radiator and ancillary systems were damaged in this shunt.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

most positive its coolant,
as stated above you probably whacked it up and either cracked the radiator or jerked off the lower coolant line.
If you hopped the curb i'm guessing the curb pushed up on the plastic under-tray causing some damage under there.

Try turning on your AC for a brief time to see if it blows cold air. Your condenser could be cracked too since it sits in front of ur radiator.

If its just the hose then you can pop that back in and slide the clamp back into place.

if the radiator is cracked then you gotta get a new radiator. If this is the case then I know Z1 has a used Mishimoto aluminum radiator for 275 right now. Usually its around the 300 range. Mishimoto also makes an OEM equivalent radiator for under 200 or around that range i believe.

Make sure you check ur temp gauge frequently until you get the issue fixed. also check ur coolant reservoir to make sure it doesn't run low since ur loosing coolant.

hope you get it fixed!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:16 PM
dani3ln3al

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
most positive its coolant,
as stated above you probably whacked it up and either cracked the radiator or jerked off the lower coolant line.
If you hopped the curb i'm guessing the curb pushed up on the plastic under-tray causing some damage under there.

Try turning on your AC for a brief time to see if it blows cold air. Your condenser could be cracked too since it sits in front of ur radiator.

If its just the hose then you can pop that back in and slide the clamp back into place.

if the radiator is cracked then you gotta get a new radiator. If this is the case then I know Z1 has a used Mishimoto aluminum radiator for 275 right now. Usually its around the 300 range. Mishimoto also makes an OEM equivalent radiator for under 200 or around that range i believe.

Make sure you check ur temp gauge frequently until you get the issue fixed. also check ur coolant reservoir to make sure it doesn't run low since ur loosing coolant.

hope you get it fixed!
In regards to fixing the leak, I don't really have time to do it myself so should I take it in to like a Firestone or something? I've never really had to deal with a repair like this so I am kind of unsure what to do/where to take it. There's a Firestone about a mile away from where I live so should I be concerned with overheating since my coolant is running low? Should I just fill it up partly with water?
Old 11-11-2015, 08:32 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dani3ln3al
In regards to fixing the leak, I don't really have time to do it myself so should I take it in to like a Firestone or something? I've never really had to deal with a repair like this so I am kind of unsure what to do/where to take it. There's a Firestone about a mile away from where I live so should I be concerned with overheating since my coolant is running low? Should I just fill it up partly with water?
After the ruckus about Firestone on that other thread - which has turned backwards on the OP for being an a$$ - I'm surprised this would come up again. Laff...

But in all honesty, take it to a Nissan dealer service dept. for the mechanical issue. Something I learned a long time ago..... You want something done right, you take it to the people who ONLY do your car and have a bigger interest in getting it done right the first time.

All you people who think this is ridiculous, get over it. Nissan has a lot more at stake and a lot more to lose than Pep Boys or whatever run-of-the-mill shop one can take their shop to. No, not all dealership service depts are THAT great but at least they'll have folks in house who know our cars.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

You could do it yourself and save some $$ and see what else might be damaged. should take no more than 30 mins to take off the undertray and have a look.

BUT

to answer your question, you could take it to any mechanic shop (yes including firestone!) and have them look. The cooling system is kinda universal on all cars so when a mechanic looks at it i'm sure they know what they are looking at. MicVelo recommends Nissan Dealership but they will most likely try to milk you, and they are pretty expensive to begin with. Any mechanic shop should understand a coolant system and see what is wrong and where a leak is coming from.

what I would do is get a gallon of coolant tonight. Park the car and make sure you get something under the car to collect the coolant if its still leaking (so it doesn't stain ur driveway). In the morning, before starting the car open the radiator cap (never open when hot, only when engine has been siting for a while) and pour in fluid until it reaches the top of the neck. Put the radiator cap back on and drive to your mechanic if its only a few miles away.

If you could...post some pics up of the damage. If possible try to get some pics underneath if you can.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 PM
dani3ln3al

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
You could do it yourself and save some $$ and see what else might be damaged. should take no more than 30 mins to take off the undertray and have a look.

BUT

to answer your question, you could take it to any mechanic shop (yes including firestone!) and have them look. The cooling system is kinda universal on all cars so when a mechanic looks at it i'm sure they know what they are looking at. MicVelo recommends Nissan Dealership but they will most likely try to milk you, and they are pretty expensive to begin with. Any mechanic shop should understand a coolant system and see what is wrong and where a leak is coming from.

what I would do is get a gallon of coolant tonight. Park the car and make sure you get something under the car to collect the coolant if its still leaking (so it doesn't stain ur driveway). In the morning, before starting the car open the radiator cap (never open when hot, only when engine has been siting for a while) and pour in fluid until it reaches the top of the neck. Put the radiator cap back on and drive to your mechanic if its only a few miles away.

If you could...post some pics up of the damage. If possible try to get some pics underneath if you can.
I'll try to get some pictures in the morning.

Despite having leaked quite a bit of fluid, the coolant reservoir is still filled up to the "MAX" line. Is this normal?
Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Is Firestone the only shop in your area? Id never take my car there, let alone a NISMO.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:36 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I'll try to get some pictures in the morning.

Despite having leaked quite a bit of fluid, the coolant reservoir is still filled up to the "MAX" line. Is this normal?
Yes. The coolant is drawn into the main system from the reservoir by a vacuum as the system cools down and the fluid contracts. If the system has an opening elsewhere, it will leak from there and/or draw in air, instead of coolant from the reservoir. Best advice would be to have the car towed to a Nissan dealer for a proper evaluation. The "mechanics" at Firestone will not know how to properly refill the system, even if it is as simple as a loose hose, and overheating the HR is $$$$.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:19 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

wow, these new member threads......i know i have never lost traction and spun out in the car, he was prob trying to pull a sick drift to impress his high school friends. so i am just going to leave this here, he will prob need it

Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Is November like the month to crash these cars???? So many dugun lately...
Old 11-12-2015, 05:48 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, WTF is all I have to say.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I did a sweet drift today in the rain on a turn, in my s10 with bald tires...

Just park it untill you have time to work on it... The nismo cant be your only car.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:31 AM
dani3ln3al

Originally Posted by travlee
wow, these new member threads......i know i have never lost traction and spun out in the car, he was prob trying to pull a sick drift to impress his high school friends. so i am just going to leave this here, he will prob need it
no need to be an dick about it, i just gave it gas too early on a wet road when i took a left turn. i live in texas where the roads are dry 90% of the time so i didn't expect nor did i see that the road was wet at the time of the incident. and it's kinda hard to impress my high school friends when i'm a full time college student working two jobs but whatever man. i thought these forums were meant to help people whenever they have questions and don't know what to do
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 06:35 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

trav, I think you're at an all-time high for the amount of butt hurt you're causing new members or we're at an all-time high for stupid posts by new members, probably both.
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

Originally Posted by bith8791
trav, I think you're at an all-time high for the amount of butt hurt you're causing new members or we're at an all-time high for stupid posts by new members, probably both.
yeah prob a little bit of both

no need to be an dick about it, i just gave it gas too early on a wet road when i took a left turn. i live in texas where the roads are dry 90% of the time so i didn't expect nor did i see that the road was wet at the time of the incident. and it's kinda hard to impress my high school friends when i'm a full time college student working two jobs but whatever man. i thought these forums were meant to help people whenever they have questions and don't know what to do
just being honest, sorry you cant handle it. i also live in texas so i know how the roads are. maybe you should leave traction control on
Old 11-12-2015, 07:06 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

****ing serious? You have a Nismo and can't tell what the green fluid is leaking lol

Italian oil bruh. ****ing oil
Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

What year nismo is it? The early model ones are sick... Like the 03 and 04...

I dont know about everyone else but to me college and HS are basically the same thing.

If you need to work 2 jobs to own a sport's car you cant afford to own a sport's car.

Get yourself a beater car and enjoy some free time.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 11-12-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Don't go filling up your radiator with more coolant. When you're ready to drive, just fill it with some distilled water, take it to the local garage and get it fixed. Adding more coolant will only leak it right back on to your driveway and attract the neighborhood dogs to all the deliciousness of ethylene glycol and the subsequent kidney failure drinking it will cause. Put a drip pan filled with a few shop rags under the leak. The car's low enough to keep the top of the drip pan out of dog tongue reach.

No matter what you do, don't add anything like Stop-Leak as a temporary fix. That'll just muck up your engine. Also, when you do get it fixed, tell the shop to use Nissan coolant. Don't go aftermarket if you're using OEM parts.

Last edited by zakmartin; 11-12-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Green fluid leaking - 350z Nismo