Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Front Passenger Squeak not a rattle help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:43 PM
03s2kman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Passenger Squeak not a rattle help

Hey Guys,

I thought the squeak was coming from the front passenger wheel hub, so i replaced it. Come to find out it didnt help and continued to squeak for months... I am still helpless till this day which i need your help to give any advice.

I have done:

-under dash squeak fix
-replaced wheel hub
- taken the caliper off and relubed the back of the brake pads.

The squeak only occurs when moving. It can be at less than a mile an hour or 60 mph. Just when I'm in motion, even in neutral. When i press and hold the brakes, the squeak is still prominent. I believe its something under the passenger side dash, but need to take it apart again to find out anything else that could be squeaking. It also happens with the AC on or off.

I have included a audio clip below of the 350z doing about 60 mph and in neutral just so i can get a somewhat clearer sound of the squeak. and the mic is placed near the passenger side dash.

https://instaud.io/iko

please forgive me if the website instaudio is not good, i can find somewhere else to re-upload it if anyone has problems listening to it.

Any advice of what you think it may be would be greatly appreciated!

-Steven
Old 01-28-2016, 03:11 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Put the front of the car on jack stands, get under there and see if any exhaust system parts are loose or missing. Check all your front-end bushings as well. Spray down anything rubber with silicone spray and spray any rusty bolted areas down with some Liquid Wrench lubricant and see if the squeak subsides a bit. Make sure your end links look good and that your bearings aren't worn out.

If it's inside the cabin, remove the knee trim and plate. Look for rust (you'll probably find some.) Any rusty parts that can be removed should be lightly sanded, cleaned and painted with Rustoleum. Lube down anything that needs lubing. I assume you've added Dynamat or some rubber shim already since you've been under there, but keep hunting around. Make sure the bolts connecting the dash bracing to the car's structure are nice and tight.

Remember, your car's got some years on it now. Squeaks are going to start popping up.

Last edited by zakmartin; 01-28-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:18 AM
RWDBajan

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You're not alone. Mine started the day after the dealer did the alignment after I replaced the old shocks and lowering springs with new stock springs. I also replaced the banana arms because of a rattle up front. Taking it back Monday.

This also happened. Was doing 20mph and trying to avoid some crevasses aka potholes on Thursday morning when I heard a loud bang up front. Never had an end link go like that.
Attached Thumbnails Front Passenger Squeak not a rattle help-end-link.jpg  

Last edited by RWDBajan; 01-30-2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Edited attachment
The following users liked this post:
Logiqal (03-16-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 PM
03s2kman

hey thanks for the replies guys.

@RWDBajan,

Does your squeak sound exactly like mine? If you get it sorted, can you reply back to what was causing it? I have the door panel off and the lower dash panel off along with the ac motor out. I'm going to drive around tomorrow to see if i still hear the squeak.

PS: I've also never seen an endlink bust like that before.

I cannot see any rust down by the dash, and i have been banging around with a rubber mallet to pin point it but still no luck.. Will try my luck tomorrow.

If someone else also had this problem and got it sorted please help and reply back!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:55 PM
RWDBajan

Pretty similar, 03s2kman. It starts when I start moving and remains pretty constant regardless of speed, steering input, suspension travel, engine revs, window up or down, door open or closed, or clutch position. I test drove with the dealer mechanic and he thought it was coming from up front somewhere. If they figure it out tomorrow I'll update the post.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:27 PM
RWDBajan

Well, the dealer was no help, it still squeaks. Next step will be to spray and drive. Starting with the door latch post, spray lightly with lithium grease, and drive. If it still squeaks, move to the bushings with silicone and just go around until I find what it is. Can't do much during the week due to work though.

Does the OP have adjustable links with rose joints by any chance? I do. Looking at them as well.

Did get the "sway bar" end link fixed though.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:43 PM
03s2kman

Hey, thanks for the update. No i do not have adjustable links(endlinks right?), everything on the suspension is OEM besides the hotchkis swaybars F and R. I been riding with the door panel off and the lower dash and metal plate removed. I need someone to drive my car while i try to look/listen where the sound is coming from. It sounds like interior to me but i know that the sound could travel through the suspension to the interior. Please keep me updated.

Have you checked if your endlinks are greased properly? I am going to do that as well this weekend, but that squeak/chirp sounds metallic to me.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:27 PM
RWDBajan

Not end links, the rear links. I have 2 on each side, installed by a previous owner. You can only see one in the photo below. I suspect the urethane might be dry but that's a guess.
Attached Thumbnails Front Passenger Squeak not a rattle help-trailing-link.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 PM
RWDBajan

So, last weekend (after verifying that it wasn't a door latch issue by driving and opening the door) I pulled the rear wheel off and sprayed everything (except the brakes!) with silicone lube. Left it to sit a bit, then went on a 20 mile country drive. I had zero squeaks for 18 miles, including a drive on the worst road on the planet - it makes cobblestones look like a pool table. Squeak is now back, but intermittent. So I think it's the bushings.

Last edited by RWDBajan; 02-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:44 PM
RWDBajan

My squeak. Now seems to be coming from the front.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...pswnmf6w1o.mp4