Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rough shifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:15 AM
Spears Is Faded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough shifts

Automatic transmission. Car tends to shift roughly at lower RPMS when shifting from 2nd to 3rd or vice versa when using slapstick. Once shift has gone thru, the car experiences a jerky, clunky feeling. Is this a sign of a transmission going bad?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:43 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Did you check the fluid level? When was the last time the fluid was changed?
Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

if you look at his post history, basic troubleshooting is not his strong point
Old 09-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Spears Is Faded

Originally Posted by travlee
if you look at his post history, basic troubleshooting is not his strong point
So how should I go about troubleshooting huh? Sorry I'm not as informed on the basics as you. Excuse me. Isn't this a forum? A forum to ask and discuss topics? Last I checked it was, which is what I'm doing. No one said you're obligated to answer any question I ask or even view my post. If you're gonna be s condescending ***** feel free to leave my post.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Spears Is Faded

Originally Posted by dcains
Did you check the fluid level? When was the last time the fluid was changed?
No I haven't, didn't even think to do so, so thank you for giving me the low down on the basics of troubleshooting gearing issues. I couldn't tell you when the last time it was changed. I've owned the vehicle for 40k miles and it has never been changed.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:43 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Spears Is Faded
So how should I go about troubleshooting huh? Sorry I'm not as informed on the basics as you. Excuse me. Isn't this a forum? A forum to ask and discuss topics? Last I checked it was, which is what I'm doing. No one said you're obligated to answer any question I ask or even view my post. If you're gonna be s condescending ***** feel free to leave my post.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:45 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Spears Is Faded
No I haven't, didn't even think to do so, so thank you for giving me the low down on the basics of troubleshooting gearing issues. I couldn't tell you when the last time it was changed. I've owned the vehicle for 40k miles and it has never been changed.
so you have had it for 40k miles, how many miles are on it.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Spears Is Faded

I don't know why or what would insinuate you to believe that I'm 'butthurt' which I am surely not. Guess that's you're lame fallback when you have nothing left to say when someone puts you in your place. You can take a seat now.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:16 AM
travlee
Master

you may not like my answers, but you obviously dont do basic trouble shooting or preventative maintenance on your car.

Last edited by travlee; 09-22-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:30 AM
travlee
Master

and you neglected to answer my serious question, but it doesnt matter. i would suggest going forward whenever you get another used car to change all the fluids shortly thereafter so you know that have been done. if you put 40k on the car, and the previous owner put however many it is prob way overdue for service

Last edited by travlee; 09-22-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 PM
Spears Is Faded

you may not like my answers, but you obviously dont do basic trouble shooting or preventative maintenance on your car.
You know I might not be the most mechanically inclined person but I definitely take care of my car when it comes to servicing basic maintenance. Just because I have yet to replace my transmission fluid does not prove otherwise. You don't know me or what I do to take care of my car. You based off three of my posts that I don't do basic troubleshooting. 1) question if calipers have the capability to wear out rotors. Which has nothing do with replacing or maintaining. That's just a question out of wonder 2) what's the squealing noise coming from the front wheel of my vehicle. Which I ended up TROUBLESHOOTING and resolving myself realizing that my NEWLY replaced struts/strut mounts needed to be lubed/greased. And finally this post regarding the topic of just one gear that seems to be having an issue. Which replacing the transmission fluid as a solution never crossed my mind seeing how it is just one gear that seems to be effected, as far as I can tell. So again, excuse me for not knowing the basics of doing so and raising the question for advice. But to answer your question, I have almost 144k miles on it.

As well as your routine oil change every 3k miles

Trust me, I've done my fair share of basic maintence and replacements for the car as it has aged.

New calipers all around as well as new brake lines I plan to replace within the next week or two

Last edited by Spears Is Faded; 09-22-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:55 PM
travlee
Master

car has been out 13 years, almost every imaginable question has been asked and answered. if it has 144k miles and you put 40, then yeah i would think it needed to be done. i bought my 350 with 35k miles on it, within 2 months i changed all the fluids... corvette only had 10k miles on it, but being 7 years old i changed all the fluids. not knocking you too bad, just consider it tough love

one thing of advice, the search on here sucks. so when you want to search something, google it and add site:my350z.com to the end of it, and it will narrow down the results to this site only
Old 09-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Spears Is Faded

one thing of advice, the search on here sucks. so when you want to search something, google it and add site:my350z.com to the end of it, and it will narrow down the results to this site only
And that's what I usually do but often find it hard to find topics that specifically relate to anything I google. Hence why I just began to post my own threads.