Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Engine dead?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 05:40 PM
tarek gabris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dead?

so i kept driving without changing my oil and now there's a knock. is it the bearings that need to be replaced, or the whole engine? can it be something other than bearings? ironically, it happened when i was on my way to change the oil. i heard the sound after i warmed up the car and drove off then stopped to check the noise, i heard the knock and proceeded to drive but knock went after i drove. after an hour of being parked i turn the car on and the knock is there even when i press gas.
Attached Files

Last edited by tarek gabris; 11-15-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:08 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

First, how long has it been since you last changed the oil in your VQ? Next, what was the oil level BEFORE you started driving to the oil change? Did you check the oil level after you heard the rod knock? Finally, how many miles are on the car currently?

In general, the VQ (all types) are strong, precision-built engines that only need a supply of clean, fresh oil to operate efficiently. Hard to guess what kind of engine damage you've inflicted unless you address the questions above.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:22 PM
tarek gabris

Originally Posted by dkmura
First, how long has it been since you last changed the oil in your VQ? Next, what was the oil level BEFORE you started driving to the oil change? Did you check the oil level after you heard the rod knock? Finally, how many miles are on the car currently?

In general, the VQ (all types) are strong, precision-built engines that only need a supply of clean, fresh oil to operate efficiently. Hard to guess what kind of engine damage you've inflicted unless you address the questions above.
i've had the car a week now, and previous owner drove it for about 3k miles. he got it services with new oil in it so by the time i bought it from him, it was time for an oil change. i never checked the oil level before the knock but after, the dipstick didn't have any oil on it. it must've starved. it has 155k miles.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by tarek gabris
i've had the car a week now, and previous owner drove it for about 3k miles. he got it services with new oil in it so by the time i bought it from him, it was time for an oil change. i never checked the oil level before the knock but after, the dipstick didn't have any oil on it. it must've starved. it has 155k miles.
Not to overstate the obvious but did you add oil after checking the level? Sometimes you can get lucky and just topping up to correct level can solve the issue with little or no residual damage.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:52 PM
tarek gabris

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Not to overstate the obvious but did you add oil after checking the level? Sometimes you can get lucky and just topping up to correct level can solve the issue with little or no residual damage.
i didn't, i wasn't sure what viscosity was used before.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:44 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

i didn't, i wasn't sure what viscosity was used before.
Soooooo, you gonna just let it sit there? Laff.....

In all seriousness, it's almost not going to make a difference what you put in. Bear in mind that any weight oil is going to seek it's nominal viscosity given TEMPERATURE. It will not thin to 5w or increase to 30 unless the car is operated into the temperature extremes; that is freezing weather at 5w or 98 degs at 30. All you need is enough lubrication to get to the oil changer!

Put some 5w-30 (factory recommended for general climates) then drive it to the oil place you were headed to and let them have at it. You're certainly not going to hurt the motor any more with "wrong weight" oil than you may have already done without oil.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:42 PM
tarek gabris

Soooooo, you gonna just let it sit there? Laff.....

In all seriousness, it's almost not going to make a difference what you put in. Bear in mind that any weight oil is going to seek it's nominal viscosity given TEMPERATURE. It will not thin to 5w or increase to 30 unless the car is operated into the temperature extremes; that is freezing weather at 5w or 98 degs at 30. All you need is enough lubrication to get to the oil changer!

Put some 5w-30 (factory recommended for general climates) then drive it to the oil place you were headed to and let them have at it. You're certainly not going to hurt the motor any more with "wrong weight" oil than you may have already done without oil.
well after my last post i decided to add the oil since it basically has none lol and it worked out, no more knock car running like a champ again.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:54 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

now go get it changed!! i would look for oil leaks also
Old 11-16-2016, 06:44 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

well after my last post i decided to add the oil since it basically has none lol and it worked out, no more knock car running like a champ again.
Originally Posted by travlee
now go get it changed!! i would look for oil leaks also
Cool. Now, like Trav said, get it changed with a full load of new oil n' filter and yes, look for leaks. Check around filter, side/top of engine (valve covers are notorious leakers).

Or, is your car an '06? Some of the '06s use oil internally. Not a huge problem if you monitor your oil level at every fill-up but enough to keep a close eye on.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:36 AM
tarek gabris

Cool. Now, like Trav said, get it changed with a full load of new oil n' filter and yes, look for leaks. Check around filter, side/top of engine (valve covers are notorious leakers).

Or, is your car an '06? Some of the '06s use oil internally. Not a huge problem if you monitor your oil level at every fill-up but enough to keep a close eye on.
No, i have an 04. i put cardboard underneath the engine over night to see if there are any leaks. still haven't checked it.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

It's hard for me to sympathize with some people...
Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

if you already established a knock, that means a bearing is no longer between the rod and the crank.. you should immediately drop the pan and inspect oil, shavings, the rod and the bearing.. sometimes you can save the crank, but if you drove on it.. the crank will also be scored, either way.. unless you immediately shut off and are lucky, you are usually looking at a rebuild.