Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Anyone with serious track time!!??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 08:34 PM
NECurve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Anyone with serious track time!!??

I am in the market for a new car and until the 350Z came out I had my mind set on an S2000.

Has anyone had any serious track time in their Z. I plan on using the car to autocross on the weekends, and although I loved my test drive in the Z it felt really heavy. Does it struggle in the tight corners? What about in the slalom? Anyone???
Old 11-12-2002, 09:18 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the S2k had the torque of NA Z engine.... it would kill.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:37 AM
Jewelz350

Here's my $.02. I've taken mine to the track (Putnam), the drag strip (Muncie) and I got in one autoX before the season ended (previously autoX a Civic). As far as the autoX, this car is great! The car felt very stable. I wimped out for the first four runs and left VDC on since it was the first time racing it. The slalom was the best part. If you want to see a video clip of it, PM me. I experienced some understeer but I didn't play with tire pressure either. My only gripe was the tires (news ones planned for Spring). But, that is easily fixed.

I believe Honda Troll is correct, these cars are closely matched. Like I said, this was the first autoX in the Z and my best run was a 43.099. There was a '00 S2000 and his best was 43.075. Doesn't get much closer!

Either way, they are both fun cars.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:14 AM
YellowBullet

I had some serious track time (both AutoX and road racing) in my S2000 and I can tell you that the car is one of the best money can buy for that kind of stuff.

It will hold its own against much, MUCH more expensive sports cars. With an expert driver, it will lap a 2 minute course only about 1-2 seconds behind expert drivers in C5 vettes, NSX's, 911's e.t.c. Think of it as a Boxster S for half the money.

I had absolutely no experience with the 350Z, never driven one, never rode in one and never got up against one on the track, so I have no idea. I can just guess that the track version of the 350Z will be pretty good, and probably pretty close to the S2000.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:52 PM
dwnshift

I use to own a S2000. Traded it in anf got an S4. The S2 is a great second car if you have that luxury. It is fun on a twisty track thatyou can throw it around on. Personally I hated the lack of torque. It was a fun car though.
We are currently developing our 350Z for racing...........
There is an old saying...........torque wins races, and horsepower sells cars.........
I think in the end the Z will be a better choice.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:28 AM
jmark

Originally posted by dwnshift
I use to own a S2000. Traded it in anf got an S4. The S2 is a great second car if you have that luxury. It is fun on a twisty track thatyou can throw it around on. Personally I hated the lack of torque. It was a fun car though.
We are currently developing our 350Z for racing...........
There is an old saying...........torque wins races, and horsepower sells cars.........
I think in the end the Z will be a better choice.
BJZ,

I too sold my S2000 for my Z. I think the S was about maxed out as far as tuning. The Z has more potential. I like the steering feel of the Z much better than the S. The S is too light for my tastes. You are much more qualified as far as pushing both cars to there performance capabilites. The torque issue is no contest......

Last edited by jmark; 11-14-2002 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:11 PM
Zmeflyby

too light?
damn if the Z was as light as the s2k..damn it would haul ***!
Old 11-14-2002, 05:10 PM
jmark

The S2000's steering is too light! Overboosted. I like the feel of the Z's steering more is what I was trying to say.......
Old 11-14-2002, 07:19 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by YellowBullet
It will hold its own against much, MUCH more expensive sports cars. With an expert driver, it will lap a 2 minute course only about 1-2 seconds behind expert drivers in C5 vettes, NSX's, 911's e.t.c. Think of it as a Boxster S for half the money.
An S2K is on par with a Boxster S or NSX (if the NSX is street tired), but the C5 is simply in a different league my friend. Here are the laptime results from a 2 minute course and the fastest S2K of noted hotshoe Doug Hayashi is some 8 seconds a lap faster than the similarly race tired 99 C5. Note, Speedventures is primarily an S2000 oriented group with the founder also running an S2K. The numbers don't lie:

https://www.speedventures.net/event_...esults=OA&s=lt
Old 11-15-2002, 11:00 AM
YellowBullet

Originally posted by raceboy
An S2K is on par with a Boxster S or NSX (if the NSX is street tired), but the C5 is simply in a different league my friend. Here are the laptime results from a 2 minute course and the fastest S2K of noted hotshoe Doug Hayashi is some 8 seconds a lap faster than the similarly race tired 99 C5. Note, Speedventures is primarily an S2000 oriented group with the founder also running an S2K. The numbers don't lie:

That particular Vette is a track-prepared one (he runs it in Street Prepared class in SCCA). And that particular Vette is driven by Gary Thomason, multiple national champion and one of the best drivers in the country. He can probably take a Dodge Neon around the track faster than most of us in our own cars...

For a complete picture, you might want to take a look at some other events, such as these:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that S2000 is faster than a C5, or even, but it's close enough that the driver will make a difference 90% of the time. I have witnessed it (and actually done it) many times.