Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Another low oil pressure thread, built motor.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:23 AM
Speednz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wisniaPl
What is your oil psi?
Do you have break in tune or just running wastegate pressure..
It drops to about 10psi once warm with 10w30. I've just got a 5psi spring in it right now while the motor is still being broken in.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Speednz

Alright so it's a depressing day for me. Just took the car for the first test drive boosted again. The car ran great. - 20 to 10psi of boost almost instantly at 3k. And then the oil temperature raised.. As the oil temp raised the oil pressure dropped. At cold idle it was at the normal 20 psi but once the oil warmed up to about 240 degrees the pressure dropped to about 1 psi. At 4k it's only at 30 psi. It made me sick to my stomach do I brought it back home. To make matters worse the engine temp is reading over half and was fluctuating a little(most likely low on coolant). Keep in mind this is still running 10-30. So my question is what kind of oil should I try? I obviously need a thicker oil at warm operating temp. Rotella 15-40 isn't that big of a difference from what I've got in it now. So what if I tried a straight 30 or 40w oil? Plan on changing the oil tomorrow and I will report back.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:03 PM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20w50 valvoline vr1 its worth a try ...you need oil cooler...
But like you said it might be your bearing clearances....

Last edited by wisniaPl; 08-14-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Speednz

Wisnia,

Thanks for all your help. I have also read that having a leak in the oil pickup tube can cause low pressure at idle. Since i have a oil pan spacer and a pickup tube spacer, this may be contributing to the issue. So tomorrow, i plan on dropping lower oil pan in early AM, putting sealant on the oil pickup spacer and putting the pan back on with valvoline 20w50. i agree on the oil cooler, wasnt sure what normal VQ oil temps were but my 240 normal operating temp seemed a bit high, even with the turbo. The car has never had any blow by until today (oil coming out of the filler cap when opened). Also can the rod bearings be changed with just dropping the oil pan with the engine still in? just lift it up with a crane so i can drop the cross member? I just want to avoid having to pull the motor for like the 4th time. Its coming easier and easier to remove and less and less parts go back on each time.. lol A/C was deleted this past go around.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Speednz

im going to wait until the results of tomorrow to order a mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Speednz

Also my guage could be reading lower than without the turbo because i am using a oil filter sandwich for the feed line. The filter is right there at the sensor which could be causing it to read slightly lower. But nonetheless it was low before the turbo. Ill also try to relocate the sensor on the oil filter sandwich plate since its the same thread size.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:11 PM
wisniaPl

Dont fill oil more than half mark on the dip stick...also I would go raceparts wholesale oil cooler kit...comes with everything and its proven....When you google mishimoto oil cooler horror stories show up...
Do you have any c to release crankase pressure? "Oil leaking from the cap"
Keep us uptaded...I know my friend replaced pistons and rods on his evo without droping engine shortly after built...so i believe its possible

Last edited by wisniaPl; 08-14-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Speednz

Huh, i had always filled it to just below the high mark. I worked at a tire and lube shop for a couple years and that is what we were trained. Ill leave it in the middle with the new oil. Ill have to check out their oil cooler kit.

Not sure what you are asking with the crank pressure. I have a breather filter on both valve covers. no oil leaking anywhere on the motor, at every 200 mile interval oil change during the break in i would check the oil. It did not burn any oil at all.

If i have to put new bearings in it i might as well replace the oil pump.. which requires removing timing cover.. so id probably just yank the motor for the 100th time.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:24 PM
wisniaPl

Originally Posted by Speednz
Huh, i had always filled it to just below the high mark. I worked at a tire and lube shop for a couple years and that is what we were trained. Ill leave it in the middle with the new oil. Ill have to check out their oil cooler kit.

Not sure what you are asking with the crank pressure. I have a breather filter on both valve covers. no oil leaking anywhere on the motor, at every 200 mile interval oil change during the break in i would check the oil. It did not burn any oil at all.

If i have to put new bearings in it i might as well replace the oil pump.. which requires removing timing cover.. so id probably just yank the motor for the 100th time.
You mentioned oil was coming out thru the filler cap when opened...i have their oil cooler kit but not installed yet...but it has positive reviews
Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Speednz

Default It's fixed

Did a few things to the car and when started cold 110 psi, warm 30 psi.

One of three things fixed the oil pressure:

1.With my obx oil pan spacer came a oil pick up tube spacer. When installed I honestly do not remember if I put a gasket on both sides or not. But when I dropped the oil pan yesterday there was no gasket. So I put sealant on it and torqued it down.
2. Put 6.5 quarts of valvoline 20w50
3.(most likely the cause) I relocated the oil pressure sensor to the oil filter sandwich plate I use for my feed line. It used to be on the block beside the filter so I plugged that hole. My guess is that there was foreign material in there blocking the pressure switch from getting an accurate reading.

So most likely I have had high oil pressure since the build and was just frightened by the false reading.. The car never acted up or had any noises.

Also the maximum oil temp dropped from 260 to 220. I'll put a oil cooler on it to try and get it lower as well.

Couldn't be happier and I appreciate everybody's input!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 AM
wisniaPl

Glad to hear you figured it out
Old 08-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Speednz

Default Another low oil pressure thread, built motor.

Originally Posted by wisniaPl
Glad to hear you figured it out
My email is acting up
Attached Thumbnails Another low oil pressure thread,  built motor.-20150822_123647.jpg  
Old 08-23-2015, 08:37 PM
wisniaPl

My email is acting up
Got it thank you
Old 01-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Alex58495

Did a few things to the car and when started cold 110 psi, warm 30 psi.

One of three things fixed the oil pressure:

1.With my obx oil pan spacer came a oil pick up tube spacer. When installed I honestly do not remember if I put a gasket on both sides or not. But when I dropped the oil pan yesterday there was no gasket. So I put sealant on it and torqued it down.
2. Put 6.5 quarts of valvoline 20w50
3.(most likely the cause) I relocated the oil pressure sensor to the oil filter sandwich plate I use for my feed line. It used to be on the block beside the filter so I plugged that hole. My guess is that there was foreign material in there blocking the pressure switch from getting an accurate reading.

So most likely I have had high oil pressure since the build and was just frightened by the false reading.. The car never acted up or had any noises.

Also the maximum oil temp dropped from 260 to 220. I'll put a oil cooler on it to try and get it lower as well.

Couldn't be happier and I appreciate everybody's input!

this is the first time I comment on a post so please excuse me if I’m doing somthing wrong lol this forum looks confusing to me. Either way I’m In your same shoes right now. I did a full rebuild on my engine and I’m literally getting around 2-3psi at operating temp idle after plugging the mechanical gauge.. revved it to 6k Bc Why not? It shot up to 65ish psi.. I replaced the oil pump when I had the engine apart and didn’t see any gasket like you said on the pickup tube. I went ahead and ordered one and pulled the oil pan off and my pickup tube was somewhat

dirty with old gasket maker I guess I didn’t clean the block enough... . Not too clogged to where it wouldn’t suck tho.. I’m planning on adding 20/50 and I’m praying that fixes my problem if not then pretty sure somthing else is clogged with foreign material.. if it still does it I’m gonna go cry.I’m very sick to my stomach right now since I dropped too much money on this engine.. pray for me lol

Last edited by Alex58495; 01-16-2019 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Misspelled