Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Will these fit my fuel rail? Trying to add an adjustable fuel regulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 03:07 PM
M-train

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Will these fit my fuel rail? Trying to add an adjustable fuel regulator

Going with this regulator 6an fittings, and gauge.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aeromotiv...-/232151082584

Here is the part I really don't know if it will work or not.

This will connect to the factory fuel line to the regulator.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-221331b

And, this will connect from the regulator to the fuel rail.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-221340

Will those two fittings above work with the existing factory fuel inlet/outlet? Also this is on an Altima SER which I'm assuming Nissan didn't change the fuel lines for the 350Z.

And of course I will use these to connect the an fittings to the other an fittings. [just because someone will point it out that they would be needed.]

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2016, 07:41 PM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

The Aeromotive regulator controls fuel pressure by bypassing excess fuel back to the fuel tank. This is known as a return fuel system. The 350Z has a returnless system. Fuel pressure is regulated at the pump and there is no return line from the fuel rails back to the tank. Unless you plan on installing one of the aftermarket return systems, the new regulator won't work.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:39 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by karlt
The Aeromotive regulator controls fuel pressure by bypassing excess fuel back to the fuel tank. This is known as a return fuel system. The 350Z has a returnless system. Fuel pressure is regulated at the pump and there is no return line from the fuel rails back to the tank. Unless you plan on installing one of the aftermarket return systems, the new regulator won't work.
Yes, the regulator will work, you just don't run a return line. I've got one like it on a 65 Mustang at this moment, and it runs just fine. I will eventually make a return line for it, but like I said it works just fine as is.

I will eliminate the factory regulator at the pump when I install the new fuel pump.

If it were the reverse as in a dead head regulator, it won't work on a return line setup as a dead head regulator doesn't have a bypass valve built into it.

Last edited by M-train; 01-01-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by M-train
Yes, the regulator will work, you just don't run a return line. I've got one like it on a 65 Mustang at this moment, and it runs just fine. I will eventually make a return line for it, but like I said it works just fine as is.

I will eliminate the factory regulator at the pump when I install the new fuel pump.

If it were the reverse as in a dead head regulator, it won't work on a return line setup as a dead head regulator doesn't have a bypass valve built into it.
Your mustang probably has a low pressure system , it's a bit different.

You kinda have it figured out , but you will need a return off the regulator into the tank. Two ways to do this, first is what you are thinking of a line in from the pump, line out to the rail , and a line out as return. Next one is converting to a return system. You would get the adapters to run the reg after the fuel rail. So you would run oem to the rail, adapter off the rail to the regulator , then a return line back to the tank.

So why are you wanting to do this?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:07 PM
M-train

Lets just skip talking about the regulator all together, and get back to my original question please.

The AN fittings are listed as 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" for which I know 3/8" is too large.

I measured the fuel inlet nipple today and it is .260", or 7.87mm.

Would the 5/16" work, or is there a place to order an AN fitting in 7.87mm?

Here is the fitting I'm speaking of in 5/16...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-221331b

And.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-221340

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I really have to research the parts I bought, but the ones you listed are similar to the ones I have and what CJM offers
Old 01-07-2017, 12:04 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I really have to research the parts I bought, but the ones you listed are similar to the ones I have and what CJM offers
They aren't listing any AN fittings like those in metric on the Summit Racing website.

That may be that either Summit don't sell them, or the 5/16" size is close enough to the metric?

Summit is very reasonable on taking things back so it really wouldn't hurt to just buy them, and give it a try.

I looked at the CJM setup at Z1, and it really don't give a size other than the AN sizes.

Last edited by M-train; 01-07-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:21 PM
M-train

OK parts in today, and almost installed.

The $$$$ fuel regulator threw me for a loop as the instructions were for a carbureted engine. I rechecked the part number, and its the correct efi reg. Although I did have to order a plug to plug the extra hole in the regulator, so I can't test for leaks until next week.

Also the fitting that snaps into the fuel rail seems a little loose, but without the plug for the regulator I couldn't test for leaks today. The 5/16 male EFI fitting seemed to push on the oem fuel line tight.

Oh, and the Fuel Lab reg instructions sucked. I tried to call their number, but only got a recorded three question survey, then a hang up. I checked the phone number, and called again, and again got the same damned 3 question survey, answered the damned questions [do worry I didn't give an honest answer as I was pissed], and then it hung up again.

So I've now got an external regulator I can adjust to up the fuel pressure just a bit if needed [I just installed all new stock injectors so they will have to do for a while], a pressure gauge so I can verify pressure, and an external fuel filter.

Name:  fuel%20regulator%20001_zpsz5jflhqn.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  238.7 KB

Name:  fuel%20regulator%20002_zpsrvnw4izp.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  152.7 KB
Old 01-14-2017, 07:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I still think you are going to have problems
Old 01-18-2017, 01:39 PM
M-train

Here is another pic where I installed the Aeromotive pump. You can see where the old regulator lines are cut. Also the new fuel hose is ran such that it helps hold down the pump in the bucket.

Name:  aeromotive%20fuel2%20001_zpsacuad1bh.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  188.4 KB

I drove down the road for a short five mile ride, and everything went well. I had the fuel adjusted to 60 psi so that should be enough to compensate for all of the other mods I've done to improve airflow.

I'll just have to experiment from here on out with the fuel pressure. Other hot rods I have are needed to be finished so I'm kinda done with this project for a while.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:03 PM
M-train

Also, back to the ORIGINAL intent of the thread, and that was the AN adapter fittings.

They all work fine, and the EFI rail inlet, and outlet fittings were 5/16". I guess that is close enough to the metric size to work as they are all working fine with no leaks.

I don't know about the fuel bucket on the Z cars vs the Altima, but the only thing I did was to cut the in-bucket regulator lines, and just run a new line from the pump to the outlet of the bucket. I didn't mess with anything else, and the factory wiring connector fit just fine on the pump so there were no wires to splice for a different connector.

Also there is nothing holding the pump into the bucket except the o-ring male end into the female hole in the bottom of the bucket. There is a cup built into the bucket that keeps the fuel pump from moving side to side, but the oem part that held the pump down from moving upwards wouldn't fit as the new pump is too tall.

What I did was cut the new fuel line so that its impossible for the fuel pump to move upwards out of the bottom cup in which it sits .

I hope this helps the next guy. Last buy GOOD fuel line clamps has I did have one hose that went directly on the pump come off even after I tightened up the clamp as far as it would go. Luckily, I had a few EFI clamps I got out of my late fathers shop which looked to be better made so hopefully these clamps will work better.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:07 PM
M-train

Here is the new gauge I got today. Its a Russel gauge, and ran approx $35. It holds rock steady, and apparently the cheap Summit gauge was a bit off as this new gauge is reading 50 psi instead of the 60 psi the Summit gauge read.

Name:  altima%20fuel%203%20002_zpsy8dmzyt9.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  170.9 KB

Name:  altima%20fuel%203%20001_zpstzvdjomk.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  257.2 KB
Old 01-25-2017, 02:50 PM
M-train

So far the engine has been running like a champ, and the random miss code is gone........thank God.

I guess the extra air flow was just too much for the old 190k oem pump.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:53 PM
M-train

I've got a 4" intake pipe I made last year, but the engine wouldn't run right with it installed.

I kinda wonder now if it would work with the new injectors, pump, and extra fuel pressure? I know eventually I will have to buy an Uprev.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:52 PM
M-train

Update:

Oh, on an unrelated note.

If any of you do go with a bigger fuel pump, and external regulator be SURE to buy efi SUBMERSIBLE fuel hose rated to at least 100 psi, and the recommended efi type clamps to install on the fuel pump to fuel bucket.

I had a few issues of the fuel hose to fuel pump blowing off, and after that was fixed the line blew.

I just installed a Gates fuel line that is rated to 100 psi, and is submersible so we will see how that goes.

EDIT: One thing to mention about the fuel hose in the fuel bucket that is attached to your fuel pump. Don't forget that the fuel "bucket" will collapse about 1, or more inches when you install it into the fuel tank, which can kink your fuel hose.

So, and I intend to do this, measure how far up the bucket lies above the fuel tank opening.

Then compress the bucket that very same amount then install the fuel hose. This way the fuel hose shouldn't kink.