Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Rev-up motor..Who really knows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jokestrap
So, Jason, humor me here, we are talking about improved lower plenum, cams, pistons, rods, rod bolts, and crankshaft? If this is truly the case, I would be prepared to take this motor safely to 500rwhp. It would probably only take about 7.5 to 8psi to get there. What does everyone think about this?

dont know about on the FI end of things...

we have ran a completely stock REV UP 350Z to 7800 RPM... power started dropping off at 7600 though...
Old 11-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by paranormal
so will all the aftermarket pistons still work in the revup block?
will have to change the heads, then loose the exhaust timing with the new heads...

the piston has a different shape to it...
Old 11-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
Jason

I have a few questions? Did they drop the deck height on the rev up pistons?
If that is the case, that would be a nice install for a turbo setup on an 03 & 04 engine.
My best guess is they designed the combustion chambers smaller on the rev-up.
One more question would be, Has the piston pin height changed or has the rod length changed.
IM trying to understand what Nissan is thinking. Did the cam timing change on the rev-up engine? Th.'s Pasta

The REV UP piston shape is taller then the 287 Motor... So, the heads have a different chamber angle... The Valve's are at a different angle as well on the REV UP motor's heads...

The added HP on the REV UP motor the way I see it is from the Exhaust timing, lower plenum, and ecu... Same Compression ratio, I think they had to move the lifter valve so the exhaust cam timing will work... (fit it onto the new heads)...

I didnt order the new heads since they are a bit expensive, but this is how I would think...

I could be wrong...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Jokestrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I would think that the bottom line is that the 05 rev up motor is more durable and efficient and able to reach higher rpm levels while maintaining hp. If this is the case then it would certainly handle higher boost thereby creating higher whp per cubic inch.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

rite... less would have to be done to get more out of the motor...

example...

Im building my NA motor up... I have to strenthen the bottom end with better rod bolts to get higher RPM's out of the motor...

With the REV-Up you already have the strogner week points made stronger then the 287 motor...

The stock piston's are really good... , the connecting rods are much stronger on the REV-UP like the VG30DETT rods...

With the proper tuning, the REV-UP is capable of alot more then the 287...
Old 11-23-2005, 07:48 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

thanks for all your help jason.. i wish i knew more about this.. im getting my engine built and the shop thats doing it hasnt said anything about the pistons being different.. in fact they are saying there are no differences.. can you tell me what would go wrong on my car if aftermarket pistons/rods/studs were put in a rev-up motor? would the person puting my car together even be able to see a difference before doing it? sometimes i hate having this stupid rev-up motor!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

well, if you are running a lower compression piston, the valve wouldnt get as close to the piston like it would with the stock piston, so the different deck angle with the rev-up heads probably wont be an issue with a lower compression piston...

I would keep your old rods and cal 800-NISSAN1 and see if you can find something out, because your rev-up motor should have had the revised connecting rods...
Old 11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
GEE PASTA

Originally Posted by paranormal
thanks for all your help jason.. i wish i knew more about this.. im getting my engine built and the shop thats doing it hasnt said anything about the pistons being different.. in fact they are saying there are no differences.. can you tell me what would go wrong on my car if aftermarket pistons/rods/studs were put in a rev-up motor? would the person puting my car together even be able to see a difference before doing it? sometimes i hate having this stupid rev-up motor!
Jimmy

I will say I have been so impressed with your mods and your car.
Its to bad that you have had some down time and major repairs being done.
I would be very worried about were did the 3 quarts of oil go. My best guess is the seals in the turbos were leaking and getting into your intake, Scary" because oil will drop your octane rating big time and cause detonation and rattle your engine apart, like a rod bearing.
Some concerns would be high oil pressure, Oil return lines from the turbos being restricted.
On your short block with a TT setup I would go with a set of flat top pistons and get the whole assembly balanced. In no way should your engine smoke and use oil.
IM sure all of your effort will pay off. Jason? When you have the time it would be great for somebody to check out the spec.'s on the rev-up engine. IM betting the rods are sized different. Plus it would be great to figure out the cam spec.'s. Pasta
Old 11-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Jokestrap

Great dialog folks. This gives me the confidence to reach much greater levels than the 421whp that I am currently at now. I certainly don't see reaching like 600whp, but 500 should not be a problem. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:42 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by Jokestrap
Great dialog folks. This gives me the confidence to reach much greater levels than the 421whp that I am currently at now. I certainly don't see reaching like 600whp, but 500 should not be a problem. Thanks.
You realize they are still cast pistons right???? Tune will need to be perfect.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Jokestrap

g35, I understand that, yes. I will most likely take it to 450whp or 460whp. How do you feel about your 3.3 VLSD?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:48 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all....Where the fu*k did this "rev up" name for the 300hp motor come from?? It's annoying as ****.

Second...there are guys over 500whp on the stock 287hp motor (one recently @ 550whp) and they haven't blown up yet.

There are tons of guys in the high 400s on stock 287hp motors.

So, can your motor take high 400s to 500whp? I think there's enough people with positive results on here to say that with a good tune, YES.

As for the differences from the 287hp to the 300hp strength wise, I doubt you're going to see 300hp motors making insane hp over the 287hp motors without blowing up since the differences to the 300hp motor are mostly to make it rev higher more safely, not be "stronger" as far as power is concerned.

And lastly...NO ONE knows the absolute limit of either motor since there isn't a consistant power level that motors start blowing up @ yet, and with the amount of people that are in the mid to high 400s...I think it's safe to say that the limit is at least over 500whp.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

REV-UP aka SPEC-A: In the NISSAN Parts system all engine components that go with the 300HP motor are known as:

Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance

damn nissan....
Old 11-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

In the fisrt post where I talked about the new parts I was calling it REV-UP so everyone is calling it that...

It can also be called SPEC-A

Too bad its not SPEC-R Thats taken by the S15 Silvia

I made the mistake in that thread calling the 05 Track Lower Plenum a "Lower Plenum" when it is really a "Mid Plenum"

When ever I say "Mid Plenum" people are like "huh" so I went back to calling it the "Lower Plenum" when it really isnt a lower plenum...
Old 11-23-2005, 05:01 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
In the fisrt post where I talked about the new parts I was calling it REV-UP so everyone is calling it that...

It can also be called SPEC-A

Too bad its not SPEC-R Thats taken by the S15 Silvia

I made the mistake in that thread calling the 05 Track Lower Plenum a "Lower Plenum" when it is really a "Mid Plenum"

When ever I say "Mid Plenum" people are like "huh" so I went back to calling it the "Lower Plenum" when it really isnt a lower plenum...
Lemmings I tell you....freaking lemmings..
Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

i dont give a ***** what you call it.. i just want my engine built with strong internals so i can up my damn boost.. is that too much to ask for? haha once again thanks everyone
Old 11-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Jokestrap

Man this thread sure did go south. Late...