Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Finally Pulled the Trigger!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Mean Gene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally Pulled the Trigger!!

Gang - Well, I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my Vortech'ed AEBS motor!! Brought my G over to John Isbell today & spent the afternoon with him ( @ Hooters! ) discussing things ranging from the engine, boost levels, drivetrain issues, etc. John's a REALLY knowledgeable & cool guy & I feel quite confident that we'll hit our power goals ( & then some!! ) with total reliability.
We figure his machinist will have the motor ready in 2 weeks so John'll be doing the Quaife & DSS axle work while taking measurements on the front end ( to see if we have room for the 4" FMIC + tranny cooler + Koyo + Aquamist tank ). Whew!! It'll be crowded behind the Stillen fascia.
John promises to post pics of the install on his website ( www. rabbidperformance.com ) so ya'll can watch the progress as I do.
Wish us luck!!

Gene

Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-09-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:57 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Why all that and use the Vortech?

It seems like way too much overkill for what the vortech can flow
Old 03-09-2006, 07:00 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gene
My shop had no problem fitting the 4+12+31 Icevex IC . You just have to knotch the bumper brace on both sides . Getting the 3in pipe from the IC to the TB is a different story [ HARD ] Jonh has done it before . We mounted the tranny cooler on the passenger side . It filled the side hole on the KumuraZ bumper great .
Good Luck Bill
Old 03-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Mean Gene

Thumbs up U Know It!!

Bill - Yep, your name came up quite a bit today!! Feelin' the love, my friend!!?? John mentioned the placement of your A/T cooler & that'll probably be where mine goes. He wants to "display" the S/S 2.5 gallon methanol tank for the Aquamist up there so maybe it'll go on the other side - unless it blocks the air filter/Vortech assembly. Not sure how much room we'll have to play with since that Koyo is so thick. Might be pickin' your brain since U, Sung Nam & I seem to be the only Vortech fans here.
Meat - Without getting into the standard "S/C vs T/T" argument that seems to be forever ongoing here & over on G35Driver.com, the Vortech T-trim that Bill & I both have can support almost 800 hp so the engine isn't going to be limited by the Vortech, IMHO & in spite of what others say. However, IF it does seem to be the case then I'll be the first to admit it & then I'll be packing the Greddy kit ( yes, John & I have discussed that option ). Something ya'll don't know ( well, Bill might ) is that John has some "tricks" he's planning on using on my car that will bring the boost in earlier than on a standard Vortech & also be @ full boost ( 13-16# in my case ) sooner. He's also working on something that will make the S/C react as fast as a turbo ( by staying in boost more readily ) but I'm sworn to secrecy.

Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-09-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 PM
bsp
Sponsor
Brainstorm Performance

Congrats...let's hope to see some good numbers soon!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Fairlady_z33

what tranny are you going to use or r you going to upgrade the tranny
Old 03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
calimarc

Sounds exciting and good luck. Keep us posted...
Old 03-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Mean Gene

Lightbulb Tranny Concerns

As far as the trans goes, I have basically 2 options. According to Mark @ SGP, there should be some upgraded ( beefier ) clutch packs available for our trannies within the next 3 months. He feels that these will help our trannies to handle up to 800 hp. when coupled with their V/B & T/C mods.
#2 is probably the route that I'll be taking just because John ( my installer ) says that, IHO, having anything other than TOTAL control over the trans is defeating the purpose. Based on this, I'm looking into a GM 4L80E tranny from TCI. It's an electronic trans that will handle the same power range as the SGP ones but has the capability of having a TCM which will allow us to program the shift points, line pressure, etc. This is the control that John is looking for so we'll have to get creative with an adapter, custom driveshaft ( which I was upgrading to anyway ) & probably a paddle shift setup ( ala Ferrari ) .
This project ( like most I've been involved in over my lifetime ) has quickly snowballed into some serious $$ but what else is new!!

Gene
Old 03-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Zilvia

cant wait.....this will prolly be the sickess s/c z yet
Old 03-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Mean Gene

Thumbs up Thanks to All!!

Z - Actually it's a G35 coupe but the gang over at G35Driver.com aren't as hardcore as ya'll over here in terms of the performance arena so I figured I could pick up some suggestions/advice more readily over here!
Gotta give props to my friends Bill (Booger) & Dave O. for their advice & encouragement planning this project! Can't forget Brett (tig488) for his small contribution ( sold me his old Vortech!! ) & of course, Sharif for all the internal ( & expensive!! ) parts. But the biggest shout-out goes out to Gurgen. It's his old AEBS block that's the foundation for this build plus we've spent MANY nights on the phone comparing notes - thanks, my friend!!
Hopefully with everyone's continued support & encouragement we can get this animal where I/we want it!! Thanks again to ALL!!

Mean Gene

Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-10-2006 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Add Info
Old 03-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Fairlady_z33

Hey good luck and keep us posted as he progress evolves
Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 PM
booger

Gene
Im amazed at the SGP VB . Along with the Edge Trq. Converter . The tranny Im sure will handle 500whp . The new , stronger clutch packs will take it much further . You might want to hold off looking into a tranny swap . If Vortech comes up with something for Derech at DSport [ better pulley system ] big hp will not be much of a problem at all for us SC guys . Trefling has already hit just under 500whp with his ATI Procharger at 14psi...on a MT6 [ DynoJet dyno ] ....will be watching your progress
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 PM
kzanard

subscribing
Old 03-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Zilvia

well then youll have the sickess super charged G35 yet...lol

Last edited by Zilvia; 03-10-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:34 PM
booger

Originally Posted by Zilvia
well then the sicks s/c G yet...lol
UMMMM....could you type out your thoughts a little clearer ? Cant make heads or tails out of that...lol
Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Zilvia

pretty much the same thing i said the first time just for the G not a Z, and i cut out some letters and words...lol
Old 03-10-2006, 01:41 PM
booger

Originally Posted by Zilvia
pretty much the same thing i said the first time just for the G not a Z, and i cut out some letters and words...lol
Looks much better edited...lol
Old 03-10-2006, 07:07 PM
rabbid

Originally Posted by calimarc
Sounds exciting and good luck. Keep us posted...

Yes it does!!!!!
Gene keep us posted
Old 03-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Mean Gene

Talking Is It Ready Yet??

Originally Posted by rabbid
Yes it does!!!!!
Gene keep us posted
Hey!! Don't U have a car to work on - like MINE!!!!!

Feelin' the love now, right, John??!!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-10-2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Correct Info
Old 03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
acg

Can't wait to see the results, I will be up there in terms of modifications pretty soon, I received my Icevex FMIC a few days ago and my new bumper will be going on Monday. I have to work on the new 3inch pipe next week to see if I can do what Bill did.
My T-trim is still not done so I am just sitting here waiting Hopefully I can get some ideas through your posts.

Quick Reply: Finally Pulled the Trigger!!