Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 10:18 PM
bobowah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions

Today I had the opportunity to ride in Chestobo's Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Prototype car.

I think right now I'm the only person on the board that's ridden or driven both types of force induction cars (turbo and supercharged).

First impressions as I rode shotgun:

The turbos are fairly quiet as it goes through the rpm range.
The turbos builds up boost fairly quickly and starts really pulling around 3000 rpm. I really did not notice any turbo lag. Nothing like a WRX or EVO STI that the boost builds up and then you get a rush of power. With the turbos Redline comes up very quickly like any car with forced induction.

The power seems to be there. We sort of raced a late 70's chevy big block pickup to give the turbos a work out.

I would have liked to push the car some more but it's not my car nor my prototype.

The outside temp today was about 90 degrees when we did a run. The intake temp was around 100 degrees. At idle the intake temp was about 130, it looks like the intercooler was doing it's job. No noticeable pinging.

When we got back into the shop, I got to look at motor and the piping.

Since the 350z don't have much space in the motor for extra stuff, it looks like Technosquare's designer had to move stuff around to make space for the piping, turbos, and intakes. Luckily he was able to install it without cutting up the car. I saw the most complicated part of the piping where the compressed air from the turbos comes into the intercooler

The one thing I missed was the BOV!!!... I want my ricey sounds to front that you have something mean under your hood.
But we talked about where to put the BOV before the air comes into the intercooler but space is tight over there.

Overall impression I'm really interested in seeing the final results for power and how the piping comes out in the production unit.

Impression between turbo and supercharger.

ATI Procharger has power available instantantously. You notice that umfp right away but there is a whining noise and it makes the car sound like an American muscle car. With 100 rwhp to the ground, I can look beyond the whining. I have driven jritoli's ATI procharged car and ATI has produced what it has marketed. The only issues are the fitment of the kit and a belt squeeling at start.

The turbocharged car sound more Japanese if that makes a difference. Power comes more mildly from the twin turbos, as you are making boost the power still seems pretty even. I don't have final numbers for the Power Enterprise turbo kit but I think there is a lot of potential with the kit. Again with it being a prototype I'm curious where the enhanced fuel pressure regulator (fuel pump) ends up and if the enhanced ECU programming will need anymore electronics. As it stands now the updated ECU programming is loaded into our ECU to account for any boost. Only riden shotgun in Chestobo's Power Enterprise Twin Turbo car, I'm curious to see what it's like if I drive it.

Now I'm confused as to what to get... Maybe I can convince my mechanic friend to get me a ride in the Greddy car so I will be able to ride in all of the boosted 350z cars.

Last edited by bobowah; 08-10-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:29 PM
350Now

Hey Jeff,

Great comparison. How about getting a favor from your friend to ride in the Greddy boosted Z. I would love to know how it compares to the currently available FI kit (ATI) and soon to be available (PE). I wish I have read Cheston's post earlier and made it to Torrance, that would have been sweet to check out the PE kit in action.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2003, 04:25 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheston: Do you guys have any dyno numbers on the TT? If you posted them already sorry for this post but I must have missed them.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:47 AM
99AllTurbo

Doesn't sound like it made a big impression on you Bobowah. I think that if it made a nice hp difference, and it was pushing to the seat, fish tailing, acting wild, we would have been able to tell from your tone, but you didn't sound too enthusiatic. That's my take at least.

Has it been tuned yet?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:16 AM
bobowah

Originally posted by 99AllTurbo
Doesn't sound like it made a big impression on you Bobowah. I think that if it made a nice hp difference, and it was pushing to the seat, fish tailing, acting wild, we would have been able to tell from your tone, but you didn't sound too enthusiatic. That's my take at least.

Has it been tuned yet?
Cheston pushed the car but did not drive it wildly which is sort of uderstandable. It is a first prototype car and they are going to take the kit apart so they can get it fabbed in japan.

But I'll let Cheston comment on the driving experience.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:43 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if it was fish tailing and acting wild, i'm sure some people might be worried that the car is undriveable.

i babied the car to the point of where i felt comfortable. and TCS/VCD was turned ON.... no point in trashing the car into a wall the first time i drive it in 8 monthes, eh?

My maxima buddies that rode in it felt that they were pushed back into their seats... but being driver, i felt a good push around 4k but i was concentrating on driving and shifting... 1st gear the boost comes so fast you have to shift nearly immediately, 2nd gear is fantastic, and 3rd gear i ran out of space on the street, and pulled off throttle around 67xx rpms...

car is tuned (somewhat) conservatively, and the prototype boost controller was turned off so we were producing 'stock' boost levels, but its still a very driveable and enjoyable car..

CARB certification is being discussed... as well as the BOV issue...
i am pleased with the progress, and beating that truck we raced was pretty cool, pulled on him pretty hard in 3rd gear and next thing i knew i was over 9xmph... so i set off (surface streets)

i dont want to boast psi numbers and/or rwhp, since its still preliminary and the kit isnt completed, but its quite close to what the J-spec is getting.

i hope for the sake of daily drivers that we can get a good reliable and driveable kit out, and those wanting the 'wild tail fishing craziness' can go with the modified stage 2,3 upgrades...

--Cheston
Old 08-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Images!
Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-1.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-2.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-3.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-4.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-5.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-6.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-7.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-8.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-9.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Attached Thumbnails Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions-10.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

again.. images might differ from the production set..
Old 08-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Mr B

Nice. Can't wait till production. When do you think they'll settle on price and availability?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Redline350zTour

Default Pic 5

hahahaha

That's what I'm going to be doing when I get my FI kit. If you can put down at least the same RWHP as ATI without the whine then I'll be changing my avatar to "PE TT Fund: $" and I'll be one of the lucky few soon. Price does also matter of course.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:25 PM
99AllTurbo

Originally posted by Chebosto
if it was fish tailing and acting wild, i'm sure some people might be worried that the car is undriveable.
--Cheston
Well I may have used the wrong words. I don't mean that it should have "uncontrollable" power. Just sounded like the ride was "ok". Again, that's just how I took the review.

I can understand that the kit may have not been put the "real" test yet, so that's why I asked "is it tuned yet?"

Good luck with the project.

Quick Reply: Prototype Power Enterprise Twin Turbo Impressions