Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR swap into an 03

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:35 AM
KhanMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, its been a year later what options do we have now if we want to go dual TB? Can we just swap the the parts of an HR motor(be it VQ35hr or the newer VQ37hr) and just update/flash the ecu to get to recognize? Or is that still not possible?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KhanMan
So, its been a year later what options do we have now if we want to go dual TB? Can we just swap the the parts of an HR motor(be it VQ35hr or the newer VQ37hr) and just update/flash the ecu to get to recognize? Or is that still not possible?
That would be a great question for Jared at Uprev. I'll drop him a line see what the DE/Revup ecu can handle. Never thought about it until I met the Uprev Guys at ZCON and had some interesting conversations with them.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
KhanMan

I think the ecu point was brought up a few times reading past post in this thread. There was even one post alluding to the fact that the DE ecu could handle it, but it just needs it to be unlocked or something to get it working right. I would love to have an HR setup. I had one loaner with the HR setup and the car was way more responsive(could also be due to the transmission) and yet it was getting even better millage and that was on a loaner.

Last edited by KhanMan; 10-13-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Fairlady_z33

I believe the only way to do this swap right is to buy a crashed HR z in the auto auctions. Rear end damage is the best. Sometimes they dont even go for more then 3k cash which at the end will save you tons of headaches.

All you need to do is just swap everything from the hr Z to yours and your done. Then dispose of the damaged shell as you please junk yard if rear damage is a lot or resell the crashed chassis to drifters for dirt cheap and still make something back.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 AM
KhanMan

I would have to think there is a few other options by now. Or as suggested above a get a rear end recked Z, or G, but I would personally would try to go with a VQ37HR motor as it has more power, with similar(or even better) mileage.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Bottled Water

I did an HR swap. Well sort of. Sold my 04 z and got a 07 from a guy who needed room for his new Z06. Only 11,200 miles on it got it for 12,000$. Gotz a newer Z wita warintee wit da HRzzzzzzzz za oh em gee whiff outta havin no swapin shtuffffffzz
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Pharaohabq

yet another year, but since this was already revived...

Okay Just for info purposes... here's some things I've found different on the HR over the DE aside from things you already know.

The HR has a different tranny, different engine/body/engine compartment harnesses. different starter location, different Alt to go w/ HR harness. The HR plenum will not fit a DE. DE I haven't tried on the HR.

Basically there are a lot of differences, but also a lot of similarities. To do a swap like this, you'd need at a min, the engine of course, but also both body and engine harnesses, ECU, and BCM. likely the AC amp, but I don't know if it's different. Assorted misc parts. The best way to do a swap as mentioned above is to get a complete wreaked donor.

I'm actually swapping my HR into an old 280Z, so I've learned a lot. If you have questions, just ask.

Phar
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 AM
tiguy99

So what you're saying is get a front clip and swap it all over like the SC300 guys do for the 1JZ/2JZGTEs?

May actually consider this one day if I can find one cheap enough
Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 AM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

If everyone here would like to be patient, I am planning to swap an HR into my 06. I'll make a thread to clear up any and all confusion about this swap when I'm done. This way, ALL of the info needed to pull off the swap will be in one thread instead of scattered throughout the forum. At my current state, I'm awaiting the arrival of a spare engine (because there are parts I need off of it) and planning to aquire the full Osiris Uprev tuner package to get around the NATS built in to the ECU. As soon as I get the spare engine into my garage, it shouldn't be long before I piece together my other one and have it properly running. Those looking for a running vq35de revup in the near future, keep tabs on me as I will be making a for sale thread when it's out of my car
Old 01-30-2016, 04:12 PM
T-dizee

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by venture210
If everyone here would like to be patient, I am planning to swap an HR into my 06. I'll make a thread to clear up any and all confusion about this swap when I'm done. This way, ALL of the info needed to pull off the swap will be in one thread instead of scattered throughout the forum. At my current state, I'm awaiting the arrival of a spare engine (because there are parts I need off of it) and planning to aquire the full Osiris Uprev tuner package to get around the NATS built in to the ECU. As soon as I get the spare engine into my garage, it shouldn't be long before I piece together my other one and have it properly running. Those looking for a running vq35de revup in the near future, keep tabs on me as I will be making a for sale thread when it's out of my car

Old 01-30-2016, 04:35 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by venture210
Post up the link when you make your thread, I'm sure lots would enjoy the process
Old 06-11-2016, 02:14 PM
venture210

I'm going to make my own build thread about this once its finished and running but for now, heres what I have. g35 vq35hr long block and 370z transmission mounted using stock engine and tranny mounts from the original cars. Here are the things that need to change: ac hoses (both), power steering hose (only one with banjo bolt), passenger side heater hose, and I think the evap hoses also (haven't put on the intake manifold yet, just guessing by the looks of everything.) All accessories from the hr have to be used because of the belt.

Last edited by venture210; 06-11-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:25 PM
venture210

Update: If you plan on doing the full wiring harness swap, get ready to completely tear your z down. The hardest part will be pulling the AC lines, brake lines, and heater core out to take out the main engine bay harness. I've already decided that it won't be worth the effort. Get the engine harness wired through z fever and save yourself the headache. I'm still going to make a builld thread BUT for the sake of this thread, I will honestly say it will be better to just buy and 07-08 and go from there. And the end of my entire swap, the engine should be running and tuned for right under 6k. If I unload my old motor and tranny for maybe 2500, my net costs for the swap will be 2500 (I already sold 1k worth of stuff). The common opinion is that 2500 for a stroked and cam'd HR swap with a full intake and exhaust is one hell of a deal. While this is true, this is only possible if you are willing to wait for amazing deals on the parts you need.