Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR swap into an 03

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
KhanMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how much do you think we could gain out of a dual TB(either off the VQ35HR or VQ37HR) setup?

Also if we go with just the intake manifold of the any of the HR motor do you we need to do any ecu mods also is that like a a regular intake manifold upgrade? What about power gains there?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UpRev
Sure, the ECU is actually quite a bit more powerful than any aftermarket ECU, it's just a matter of us figuring out the code that runs the HR ECU. We've already gotten the kung-fu grip on the previous ECU, HR is just around the corner.

My only question deals with the need for bigger throttle bodies, you can do it but to what real gain? I know it seems pedestrian when trying to do something custom, but messing with that causes alot of tuning stress as that's an unknown at this point. Plus you could spend the money on something else that makes your car perform better.
Good to know about the ECU, that should save some jingle.

As far as the bigger TBs, it is all dependant at this point if the DE intake manifold will rest on the HR heads, if that is the case then I already have a custom Crawford plenum that holds two DE TBs, I already have the TBs, and all I wold need then would be a second MAF.

If the DE intake mainfold doesn't bolt up to the HR heads, then I have some choices to make about to spend money on this project.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by KhanMan
So how much do you think we could gain out of a dual TB(either off the VQ35HR or VQ37HR) setup?

Also if we go with just the intake manifold of the any of the HR motor do you we need to do any ecu mods also is that like a a regular intake manifold upgrade? What about power gains there?
I'm not sure I understand your question. How much gain verses what? A DE motor? A lot, IMO. I can't say anything quantifiable at this point though.

The Intake manifold, IMO, was not the problem with the DE verses the HR motor, it was the stupid plenum with a 120+ degree bend in the intake.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:33 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
That kind of defeats the purpose. I want light wieght and each year they get heavier and heavier. I'm already stripped down as far as she'll go with out the big dollar items.

I've also only $350 in the long block and it is only missing a few things.
they only gain weight cause they add more sound insulation, if you strip it out, you'll be down at the same weight

but the whole longblock for 350 counts for something...
Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by warmmilk
they only gain weight cause they add more sound insulation, if you strip it out, you'll be down at the same weight

but the whole longblock for 350 counts for something...
I've already stripped mine out, I don't want to do all of that work again.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM
KhanMan

I'm not sure I understand your question. How much gain verses what? A DE motor? A lot, IMO. I can't say anything quantifiable at this point though.

The Intake manifold, IMO, was not the problem with the DE verses the HR motor, it was the stupid plenum with a 120+ degree bend in the intake.
Yes vs the DE motor. And how much gain would dual TB give us like the Crawford you mentioned? I want to go dual tb like the HR and want to know all my options.

Also, i think the newer models only gained 100lbs according to some owners who weighed their car. They said it might be for some marketing reason to say the new 09 is 200lbs lighter and more powerful or something.

Last edited by KhanMan; 08-26-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes vs the DE motor. And how much gain would dual TB give us like the Crawford you mentioned? I want to go dual tb like the HR and want to know all my options.

Also, i think the newer models only gained 100lbs according to some owners who weighed their car. They said it might be for some marketing reason to say the new 09 is 200lbs lighter and more powerful or something.
No one has any idea what, if any gains are

As far as options? Either alot of custom work, from fabrication to tuning, or buy an 07 +
Old 08-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Lightning Guy

I know that it has been doen a few times here and there with limited results.

The Crawford plenum I have was a leftover from an attempt. A lot of fuel had to be added to get the a/f correct, but it certainly didn't make the power expected for all of that fuel. For the expense, tuning, and headache I don't think the DE is the proper platform for Dual TBs.

The HR has the functionality built into from design.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
No one has any idea what, if any gains are

As far as options? Either alot of custom work, from fabrication to tuning, or buy an 07 +
True that Adam,

I figure worst case for me, is a midly modified HR in an 03 chassis. Best case for me = spanking Z06s at VIR.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

amen brotha - and what's great is that terrific motor will get put to good use
Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
amen brotha - and what's great is that terrific motor will get put to good use
Thanx
Old 08-27-2008, 08:28 AM
mikez97

I have a HR longblock. All I think I'll need is a lower intake manifold (whether or not the DE manifold works) and a plenum that will accomodate two 69mm TBs. Then all that will be left is tuning the thing.

I'm sure I can get an alternator to mount up and can make brakets if neccesary to mount the power steering. Getting a belt to work is the minimal chore in all of this.

The creative part will be the plenum, even if I have to make someting like the Kenetix SSR, but split it into two sides, or redo the vavle covers so that I can bring the TBs out of the sides rahter than the rear. It will be creative and entertaining.
or you can make some nice custom ITB's
Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 AM
mikez97

Good to know about the ECU, that should save some jingle.

As far as the bigger TBs, it is all dependant at this point if the DE intake manifold will rest on the HR heads, if that is the case then I already have a custom Crawford plenum that holds two DE TBs, I already have the TBs, and all I wold need then would be a second MAF.

If the DE intake mainfold doesn't bolt up to the HR heads, then I have some choices to make about to spend money on this project.
by chance you wouldnt even have to worry about the MAF's because if you get a standalone, i have a haltech and you dont need to run MAF sensors.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I think you're missing the point here though. He's so far into this for ~$350, total. I mean he could have just torn his stock motor apart and done a ground up build, which is what he originally planned to do. I think now the goal is to get it into the car and working properly, and if there are things he can do relatively easily and inexpensively during the swap to improve things, he will.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 AM
jdepe

real question. would the front lower cross member from the newer hr not bolt up to the 03 chassis? if so than would the swap be possible to a g35?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 AM
Lightning Guy

Why wouldn't it? Same unibody, more or less.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 AM
nickZ33

Whats the status?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by nickZ33
Whats the status?
I had to fly up to Conneticut for work, I'll be returning Wednesday night on the red eye to Charlotte and then have to drive back to Anderson. I'll look at it Thursday night or Friday. I pretty much unloaded the palelt and left.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM
track1z

To explain this thread is very simple.TO EACH HIS OWN!It doesn't have to make since to you.Its not yours and you don't own it.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 AM
nickZ33

i have an HR i got for free from a buddy sitting in my garage so if this works out im putting it in my 03 lol

Quick Reply: HR swap into an 03