Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Overnight Battery Disconnect Advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Overnight Battery Disconnect Advantages?

I've read a lot on this site about various reasons to disconnect the battery; some do the overnight disconnect and power drain.

My question is: Is there any advantages to doing this every now and then just to possibly reset anything? I wondered if doing this procedure may help to reset and "sync" things up with the ecu according to the tune that's on the ecu? *(kind of like clicking the refresh button on your computer, etc).

Also, is disconnecting the left terminal cable best or both?

Last edited by BigBlue; 10-19-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:26 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I know I was having an issue with one of my electronic features and I unplugged mine and it fixed it.

To just disconnect it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle unless your having electrical issues.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Blue, not sure I see any real advantages. (I could be dead wrong so take with grains of sodium chloride.)

Z'matter of fact, I'd hate for my car to re-set to "normal" after all the time spent playing with tune and the one that would bug me more is having to re-set my radio. Hahahaha.

I never even disconnect/change my battery without first plugging in a NOCO. But again, that's just me. (I know when we did batteries in the shop, I stressed to the techs to NEVER forget to do that because of the variety of cars coming in, having to look up re-set procedures for all the diff vehicles was a PITA.)

Interesting question though.... in for responses.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:21 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Blue, not sure I see any real advantages. (I could be dead wrong so take with grains of sodium chloride.)

Z'matter of fact, I'd hate for my car to re-set to "normal" after all the time spent playing with tune and the one that would bug me more is having to re-set my radio. Hahahaha.

I never even disconnect/change my battery without first plugging in a NOCO. But again, that's just me. (I know when we did batteries in the shop, I stressed to the techs to NEVER forget to do that because of the variety of cars coming in, having to look up re-set procedures for all the diff vehicles was a PITA.)

Interesting question though.... in for responses.
Thanks for the info. Mic! Yeah to reset all of those things are a pain; I always have a hard time remembering how to set my clock (kind of strange process in the Z) when I have had battery disconnected a couple of times before. I've charged the battery a time or two like in Winter and had removed the neg. cable; didn't lose my SC tune I know that; car barely runs if stock tune is on and that didn't happen, so I think people's non-stock tunes should be ok if they swapped batteries, did the ecu reset, etc.

I will be interested to read some feedback here on this topic. Doing those 3 main re-learn procedures aren't bad to do and only take a few minutes, that's why I wonder about if doing a reset may be a positive thing.

*I don't know what a NOCO is (a power supply?), could you fill me in hehe?

Last edited by BigBlue; 10-19-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:43 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Thanks for the info. Mic! Yeah to reset all of those things are a pain; I always have a hard time remembering how to set my clock (kind of strange process in the Z) when I have had battery disconnected a couple of times before. I've charged the battery a time or two like in Winter and had removed the neg. cable; didn't lose my SC tune I know that; car barely runs if stock tune is on and that didn't happen, so I think people's non-stock tunes should be ok if they swapped batteries, did the ecu reset, etc.

I will be interested to read some feedback here on this topic. Doing those 3 main re-learn procedures aren't bad to do and only take a few minutes, that's why I wonder about if doing a reset may be a positive thing.

*I don't know what a NOCO is (a power supply?), could you fill me in hehe?

Oooops, yes, sorry..... NOCO is a brand name for a "settings keeper". It's just a 9v transistor battery (do they still call them that? Old guy talking... ) attached to a lighter/accessory plug adapter that keeps your car energized during "battery disconnect" times so nothing needs to be re-set when the battery is put back in.

Incidentally, this is the same company that makes all sorts of battery service tools including the "Genius Boost", a handheld (literally) jump starter and power supply. It really is genius.... Laff.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...6908.html#main
Old 10-20-2016, 06:18 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Old 10-20-2016, 07:03 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

TLDV.

I skipped through the vid and couldn't take it seriously. Lots of good ol' anti-Chinese product vitriol. Not taking sides at all.... I just don't really care to know what's in a product that works.... so long as it does.

No different than buying an iPhone 7 or a Samsung 'Droid phone (other than there's slightly less chance of the Crapple product blowing up). It does the job and life is too short for analysis paralysis.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:07 AM
BigBlue

Those are cool items! I'd never heard of the settings keeper, but that looks like a simple yet very useful device! *Oh those transistor radio batteries used to be one of a kind, unique; I'd have my So. Cal. radio stations rocking out as a kid with my transistor radios!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:29 AM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's a question for Mic. Which settings does the NOCO save when disconnecting the battery? Looking at the schematics for my 2005 Enthusiast, it appears that the only thing powered by the 9 V battery would be the radio.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:21 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by karlt
Here's a question for Mic. Which settings does the NOCO save when disconnecting the battery? Looking at the schematics for my 2005 Enthusiast, it appears that the only thing powered by the 9 V battery would be the radio.
Great question! I don't have a clue. All I know is my radio settings as well as everything else - clock, and presumably tune settings(?) - remained the same. (But not saying that was all due to the system being energized by the NOCO.)

However, on other non-Nissan cars we've had in the shop for battery R&R (or other stuff requiring battery disconnect), on those occasions where the NOCO wasn't used, a bunch of other functions - sorry, can't remember what in particular - had to be re-programmed. I just remember looking up re-set info on AllData for my shop guys.

Curious to know now..... Hmmmm....