Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Can someone comment on the CMAK zspeed and master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Dealsgap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can someone comment on the CMAK zspeed and master cylinder

I guess I'm going to be replacing my CSC on my 08 HR with only 50k miles..

Could someone comment who has actually tried the below products from zspeed.

I quit going through drive in windows because of the beloved window motors, I quit opening my hatch because of the beloved hatch latch/strut problems, I've tried my best to not even "touch" any of the internal parts that seem to develop "scratches" by themselves, but with the CSC..well you can't "stop" shifting gears...

Not even mentioning the above, the funny thing about this car is I purposely waited when the 350 came out until the last year hoping that the last year would be the best with the fewest problems...so much for that tactic...silly me..

I'm going with the below CMAK from Zspeed and would like anyone who has
actually went with this to respond..

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...e-ZSP-CMAK.htm

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Nis...0610-EV00A.htm
Old 02-23-2017, 02:03 PM
John_B

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

CMAK will be the best replacement or upgrade to the CSC. You would have to drop the trans out again to do any adjustment with the other aftermarket CSC. The CMAK is plug and play.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Surfer90291

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I installed it yesterday along with the JWT HR clutch kit and I also replaced the master cyl. with Nissan oem.
So far I'm loving it. It's extremely well thought out and built. Bolts up really easily, didn't need to adjust or tweak anything. I'm very impressed with this kit and would recommend it for those really worried of a csc failure.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:14 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

I would do the wilwood master over the oem...but just my thinking
Old 03-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Surfer90291

Originally Posted by travlee
I would do the wilwood master over the oem...but just my thinking
I was going to order a wilwood master but after talking to Joe at Zspeed he told me that with the CMAK, a wilwood master cyl is overkill.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 PM
travlee
Master

Well he is the man.... i had the zspeed hd slave so i did wilwood master
Old 03-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Surfer90291

He is for sure, also it's very important to replace the pilot bushing every time.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer90291
I installed it yesterday along with the JWT HR clutch kit and I also replaced the master cyl. with Nissan oem.
So far I'm loving it. It's extremely well thought out and built. Bolts up really easily, didn't need to adjust or tweak anything. I'm very impressed with this kit and would recommend it for those really worried of a csc failure.

How is the engagement & pedal feel compared to stock?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:47 AM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just replace it with a new OEM CSC if you stay with stock clutch and dual mass flywheel!? Have the OEM CSC never been upgraded by Nissan?

Last edited by GodISmE; 04-03-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:08 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by GodISmE
Why not just replace it with a new OEM CSC if you stay with stock clutch and dual mass flywheel!? Have the OEM CSC never been upgraded by Nissan?
the first time mine went out, i replaced it with oem.... about a year later it went out again
Old 04-03-2017, 09:47 AM
GodISmE

With stock clutch and dual mass flywheel?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:50 AM
travlee
Master

yessir... never changed it
Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Need to do this myself. After a long hot day of autox I noticed the pedal near the floor on the interstate. Pulled it up and worked fine. I was looking at the HD csc over the cmak? I was going to install the Tilton or wildwood master and jwt clutch flywheel.

New to the hr world. Still learning.

Chris
Old 04-03-2017, 05:27 PM
travlee
Master

I had the hd and wilwood combo, never looked back
Old 04-03-2017, 05:28 PM
GodISmE

But this sympton doesn't mean it's a bad CSC! I had this in my HR track car and replacing the master cylinder with a new OEM one fixed it and it has been fine for the last few track days.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:13 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Well, here's the thing, the "newest" iteration of the OEM CSC might be just fine. However, the tested and proven solution to the high engaging, mushy HR pedal for many years has been the ZSP HD CSC (alphabet soup there) - and now, perhaps the CMAK is prepared to take over the reign as top dog replacement for HR application. Only time will tell.

Under a year ago, installed the ZSP HD CSC in my kid's HR GT along with JWT clutch and iron flywheel. Wow, now that's the setup my Nismos Z33 and 34 should have had from the factory.

Done with OEM MC as well. Tilton and Wilwood are excellent, no doubt about that, but as mentioned previously, were it for a racing application, would probably consider aftermarket. But have never had the OE unit do anything odd so followed the shop rec. and just did OE (Z Car Garage.... gots cred).
Old 04-16-2017, 11:32 AM
mattology

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default i will be able to provide a review very soon

2 weeks ago i had the unfortunate experience of having my 2007 valet parked at the hilton garden inn in downtown new orleans.

the next morning when picking up my car the valet took 15 minutes to get my car for me, and then he came walking up to me rather than with my car, because he stalled it and got it stuck in the intersection at the end of the corner.

the car smelled like burned clutch and hasn't driven properly since.

I opened a claim with the valet insurance company, but in the mean time i ordered the z speed clutch movement alteration kit, the jim wolf technology clutch and aluminium flywheel, and the rjm adjustable fulcrum point pedal assembly.

it is a heart breaker to me, because up until this point my Z had driven perfectly drivetrain wise, and i was graciously knocking on wood and being thankful that i had no issues with my concentric slave cylinder. that being said, i have not tracked the car or raced it, just enjoyed running it through the gears from time to time.

it will be interesting for sure to do the disassembly and see the condition the clutch is in, as well as see how it drives and behaves with the new setup.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:49 PM
Dealsgap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally put the CMAK in

Update: I wanted to give an update on this:

I finally got around to installing the CMAK. When my tech. guy got into it he said that there was a "few" heat spots on the clutch and suggested (if it was his car) that he would replace it so since he was there I decided to go ahead and do this also. We overnighted an OEM clutch...

As stated beforehand, I did not want to "wait" until I was in the middle of no-where and my clutch go out as I drive some 300 miles one way (weekly) to work and commute so this was purely a "pro-active" measure....(Long story)..

As of this writing I've gotten about 300 miles or so on the new clutch (OEM/CMAK)..and so far so good. My tech. guy had never seen or heard of this unit and he said it was "pretty slick" idea...We've got the clutch to "catch" closer to the floor than OEM so I like this much better. It appears to be tight(er) (as far as the shifting/shifter) but maybe that's just me..no clutch chatter at all..not that there was much beforehand..but...just sayin..

I wanted to fill you guys in on the condition of the OEM slave cylinder as the car was bought new and was the original one with 50k miles. I was surprised to see that it "appeared" to be just fine. My tech guy said that it "seemed" to be working OK.

What had sent me down this "replacement" road was it (clutch) had "started" showing signs of giving out (I thought??) as it at times would feel "very mushy" and when depressed I could actually feel the clutch spinning when depressed (or I felt like I could feel something spinning)...no I wasn't smoking anything inside the car??? when this happened was when the car was "hot"...didn't feel it when it was "cold."

Who knows, I might have not needed to even do this but I just could not risk it being so far away from home. If anything would have happened I would have missed a day of work or more and had to pay for motel/hotel not including unit replacement and all that that would cost...

Would love to hear from Mattology regarding the condition of his slave cylinder when he gets everything apart to replace the clutch. If we can get more guys to speak up about the condition(s) of their slave when they replace their clutch it might help others decide if they want/need to be pro-active about an "alternative" plan..

Thanks to others for speaking up...
Old 07-22-2018, 07:52 PM
mattology

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, i finally installed the CMAK a couple of weeks ago... Hadn't really driven the car much since then.

The slave cylinder looked like a cheap piece of plastic to me, but seemed to be working alright.. The clutch seemed ok, but the flywheel had plenty of bluing and hot spots on it.

I went back together with the Jim Wolf aluminium flywheel and clutch set that they sell. Combined with the CMAK i was very happy. Also, I have the RJM pedal assembly.

The stupid factory hard line on the clutch from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder has a bump / P trap curve right at the bottom where the soft line bolts up. That stupid bend was a massive issue for air bubbles... if you ask me it is better to 'adjust' the hard line so that it doesn't have that bump in it anymore, and it makes bleeding a bazillion times easier. Without it, you pretty much end up needing a power bleeder to get it perfect.

I did the job in the garage, on jackstands, and the hardest part of the whole deal was picking the transmission back up off the ground and onto the jack, so that i could start lifting it back into the car.

I am very pleased with the cmak. car revs much happier. no slipping anywhere. it spins the tires in 3rd once again. it makes me want to put cams in this thing now to go with the long tube headers.
The following users liked this post:
bruthaboost (12-20-2018)