Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Choosing between a few tire brands.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Choosing between a few tire brands.

I searched and found a bit of information on tires.. but not specifically what I was after.. which is the cheapest tire set for the 2008 350Z that is still a "good" tire. My main desires are keeping road noise to a reasonable level (I have a tire feathering issue right now..) -- getting decent miles from the tires.. and the up there with the priority is money.

I gathered going to tirerack.com on here from searches is the way to go. So I went and searched around based on the 350.. and chose the "best sellers" .. about 7 sets come up.

Wanted your opinions on them if you don't mind.

Cheapest of the best sellers are :

Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (W-Speed Rated) Ultra High Performance All Season -- Set of 4 for $444.

The midrange in the best sellers are the:

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (Max Performance Summer) - Set of 4 for $594.

( I live in B'ham, AL.. so we don't really get snow/ice here..)

Up a little in price are the:

Continental ExtremeContact DW, set of 4, $620.

Then at the top of the most expensive "list" are the:

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position -- set of 4, $708.

Thoughts on these tires?

Can I get away with Sumitomo tires , or are they junk?

If the Sumitomo are loud tires.. what about the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires for $594? Recognizable brand,.. it's at the top of the list of "best sellers" for the car at tirerack?

I'm trying my best not to post one of those threads people hate because it's been asked so much.. I've done what homework I could find with search here, and searching through tirerack.

I'll keep it simple on what tires would work, and what should I avoid from this list.

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:22 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What size? Why not the Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs
Old 12-14-2013, 11:22 AM
07maximan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about Hankook V12's? I've had these on a couple of cars and they are great tires for the money.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
What size? Why not the Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs
Size is standard for 350Z.. 225/45 R18.

And, no reason against the Sumitomo HTR III's -- I just didn't want to list all 7 .. I just listed the middle ground, cheapest, and most expensive of the best sellers for the 245/25 R18 tires.

You asked about the Sumitomo HTR III's.. are they good tires?

Cause the Sumitomo HTR Z III's are $478 for a set of 4.. definitely in the price range.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by 07maximan
What about Hankook V12's? I've had these on a couple of cars and they are great tires for the money.
They list as Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110,.. $618 for a set. Certainly an option,.. which is purpose of this thread.

I'd like to get away with a sub $500 price point,.. if any of these tire sets are good reasonable tires for the 350Z at that price point.

I'm going to have to put two new tires on the front, and have Nissan due to the TSB alignment due to feathering issue I have (incredibly loud at low speed)..

I just checked what tires are on the vehicle and they are:

Goodyear EAGLE F1 - All season - 225/45 R18's -- And they are Directional! So no switching them from out to in unfortunately =/
Old 12-14-2013, 12:36 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 07maximan
+1 here. Had 2 sets now and a nice tire for the $; high speed rating and getting very popular now. Good luck; plenty of good choices out there. *will be hard to stay under $500 however, if you order any set there is tax and shipping, mount/balance, which all totals quite a bit.

Last edited by BigBlue; 12-14-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Landon_G03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBlue
+1 here. Had 2 sets now and a nice tire for the $; high speed rating and getting very popular now. Good luck; plenty of good choices out there. *will be hard to stay under $500 however, if you order any set there is tax and shipping, mount/balance, which all totals quite a bit.
+1 hankook ftw
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Chromatic

Ok so you guys are talking about these tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

Hankook Venus evo's.. 225/45 R18's.

Question: All the tires for this car don't have 4 of the same tire -- there are fronts, and then rears.. the rears are a little more expensive (but same brand).

What's up with that? If this is right,... then you can't rotate your tires because there is some special feature spec needed on the rear tires as opposed to the Front.

Can anyone explain?

If I go with the Hankook -- They are $620 for a set of 4. Shipping will push that to right at $700. Installation will run me 80-100$, so $800 for a set of 4 Hankooks.

Then I'll be going to Nissan to get the alignment done. What is Nissan likely to charge me to get the alignment done to fix the Feathering/noise I have now with my old tires?

This kind of money is pushing my funds.. but I just don't see the sense in getting two new tires on the front and leaving tires with 20-30% tread life left on the back.

Thoughts?

I'd love to get a Sub $500 tire which would run be more like 650-700 shipped and installed.

Shipping on these tires are like 63-80$ depending on where they come from.

From tirerack -- if you have them shipped to one of their network/approved installers does that shipping cost come down by chance?

These are their top rated tire under reviews, "best sellers" for the car:

Bridgestone Potenza S04's.. 225/45/R18 -- They are just slightly (10-20$) cheaper than the Hankook tires.

Thanks for the help.. just trying to get this all sorted on the vehicle.. Just plopped down $17,500.00 -- Wasn't expecting to throw another $1000 on tires, and a special alignment because of this all too common Feathering issue. But, it is what it is!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:36 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromatic
Size is standard for 350Z.. 225/45 R18.
You know the front and rear tires and wheels are different sizes, right?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:28 PM
JCITY
Banned

Go with the Hankook V-12'S--
Old 12-14-2013, 04:30 PM
JCITY
Banned

Cool Staggered wheel&tires

Originally Posted by chromatic
ok so you guys are talking about these tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&automodclar=

hankook venus evo's.. 225/45 r18's.

Question: All the tires for this car don't have 4 of the same tire -- there are fronts, and then rears.. The rears are a little more expensive (but same brand).

What's up with that? If this is right,... Then you can't rotate your tires because there is some special feature spec needed on the rear tires as opposed to the front.

Can anyone explain?

If i go with the hankook -- they are $620 for a set of 4. Shipping will push that to right at $700. Installation will run me 80-100$, so $800 for a set of 4 hankooks.

Then i'll be going to nissan to get the alignment done. What is nissan likely to charge me to get the alignment done to fix the feathering/noise i have now with my old tires?

This kind of money is pushing my funds.. But i just don't see the sense in getting two new tires on the front and leaving tires with 20-30% tread life left on the back.

Thoughts?

I'd love to get a sub $500 tire which would run be more like 650-700 shipped and installed.

Shipping on these tires are like 63-80$ depending on where they come from.

From tirerack -- if you have them shipped to one of their network/approved installers does that shipping cost come down by chance?

These are their top rated tire under reviews, "best sellers" for the car:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&automodclar=

bridgestone potenza s04's.. 225/45/r18 -- they are just slightly (10-20$) cheaper than the hankook tires.

Thanks for the help.. Just trying to get this all sorted on the vehicle.. Just plopped down $17,500.00 -- wasn't expecting to throw another $1000 on tires, and a special alignment because of this all too common feathering issue. But, it is what it is!
yep--front&rears are different.rear will cost more--bigger
Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by dcains
You know the front and rear tires and wheels are different sizes, right?
I do now. Rear is 245, front 225. Got it.

What about the other questions/thoughts? Obviously you don't rotate tires on a 350Z considering differing size tires front/back. If you don't use directional tires I suppose you could move R to L, and vice versa.. on each axl, but I get it.

Thoughts on the other questions I had besides the fact that the Rear is 245 and front is 225?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromatic
I do now. Rear is 245, front 225. Got it.

What about the other questions/thoughts? Obviously you don't rotate tires on a 350Z considering differing size tires front/back. If you don't use directional tires I suppose you could move R to L, and vice versa.. on each axl, but I get it.

Thoughts on the other questions I had besides the fact that the Rear is 245 and front is 225?
Make sure you buy tires that can be rotated side to side. When they are rotated they have to be removed from the wheel on flipped so the outside of the tire becomes the new inside. Rotating like this extents the life a lot.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Make sure you buy tires that can be rotated side to side. When they are rotated they have to be removed from the wheel on flipped so the outside of the tire becomes the new inside. Rotating like this extents the life a lot.
Can the Hankook V12's mentioned in the thread:

Be rotated side to side? Seems a few people use them, so should be easy to answer.

Also -- how should I do this given the issue. (I ask for two reasons.. 1) To save money (maybe getting them mounted/balanced at a tirerack local shop will be cheaper).. 2) To get this done *right* the first time.

Get the tires shipped to my home,.. and bring them to Nissan to mount, balance, AND do an alignment to the TSB specs?

Or, get them shipped to a tirerack approved shop close to my home, and go have that shop mount and balance them.. Then drive over to Nissan and have Nissan align the front end to TSB spec?

I know Nissan had to get special equipment/calibrations to be able to properly align the 350's .. that regular shops probably can't do as precise as Nissan can. (Even though I'm sure any shop will say they can.. after all it's just a front end alignment right? )

Last edited by Chromatic; 12-14-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

+1 on Sumitomo HTR 3s. Love mine.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As a Firestone tech, I'd recommend the Bridgestone options, but you are comparing two different tires. The S04 is much more of a performance tire than the 970AS, which is a premium all-season.

I have a set of S-04's on my Sonic, put them on when the car was new because I went to bigger wheels. So far they have been amazing in all conditions, i've recommended them to other customers with Porsches to replace RE050's and gotten nothing but positive feedback.

The 970 is not as aggressive as a handling tire is concerned, but will be smoother, quieter, and longer lasting as a trade off, although they are more expensive.

The Sumitomo's are cheap junk, they work fine but they are not worth the $100 saving over a set of S04's, not at all.

The Conti's are just OK in my experience, they work good and are a nice performance bargain but wear down quickly and don't provide anything special, I would not choose them over the S04 at an equal price point, especially not if they are more expensive in your size.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
As a Firestone tech, I'd recommend the Bridgestone options, but you are comparing two different tires. The S04 is much more of a performance tire than the 970AS, which is a premium all-season.
Just checked out the Bridgestone S04's -- and they are 15-20$ cheaper than the tires I was about to order. That definitely works for me!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&autoModClar=

** Curious: -- Are these Bridgestone Potenza S04's Directional or not? Be nice to have non directional tires for left to right rotation down the road.. seems most sets for the 350Z are directional. **

Reviews are good on the S04's.. and looks like they are a bit longer lasting tire if you aren't tracking your car.. or otherwise burning rubber (literally). I've been driving with the MPG gauge going.. and shifting at 2200-2500 rpms. You'd think I'd be driving like a maniac with this kind of power ,.. but maybe it's my old age at 32.. I'm having more fun shifting and watching the MPG meter. (Yah.. maybe lame.. ) Point is ,.. I'm the kind of driver who will make the tires last as long as they possible can.

So you'd recommend these over the:

XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (which are slightly more expensive)

What do you other guys/ladies think? The Bridgestone S04 Potenza's a solid choice?

The Sumitomo's are cheap junk, they work fine but they are not worth the $100 saving over a set of S04's, not at all.

The Conti's are just OK in my experience, they work good and are a nice performance bargain but wear down quickly and don't provide anything special, I would not choose them over the S04 at an equal price point, especially not if they are more expensive in your size.
Yeah, I wasn't even considering going with Sumitomo's.. because the price difference isn't that much for a better quality tire.. and there are equal negative reviews to positive reviews. I feel better going with a long term name brand like Bridgestone Potenza.

As a Firestone technician you can answer most of my installation questions.

I'm going to order off tirerack.com.. cause they beat everyone else... and have them shipped to one of their "preferred" installers. I picked the closest Firestone Complete Auto Care center/store/shop to me (About 8-10 miles down the road). Firestone has done me right in the past.. they are just slow. IE: I never can bring it in, even with appointment,.. and wait an hour or two.. no matter what I get done small or big it's an all day deal.. dropping car off, getting a ride back.. then getting a ride back to Firestone that night or even next day sometimes when they don't "get to my car, because they were so busy..". That's ok if the work is quality.

But, as a Firestone Mechanic --

1) I'm getting the Bridgestone S04's (set of 4) shipped to Firestone. What would installation (mount, balance, valve stems, and tire disposal plus tax) cost me (approx?). I'm guessing if you add in the other fee's and tax.. about $25 a tire. Is $100 out the door to mount/balance/put in valve stems and any other extra fee's and tax about right? Or would it be closer to $80? Or closer to $120?

I'm working with a limited budget of course.. so $20 here or there makes a difference.

2) I'm somewhat considering replacing the bushings to aftermarket poly-urethane -- as seen here: http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan...ings/prothane/

Can firestone install these? If so,.. what's a ballpark figure on install of these bushings. I'd get it done while they did the tires (so it'd be easier as they'd already have the wheels off the car up on the rack.).

3) I'm probably going to do this part at Nissan just to be absolutely sure.. but if I decide to let Firestone have a crack at realigning my front end to the TSB specs to correct the feathering issue.. Does firestone have the equipment to do so with the precision Nissan does (Nissan had to order special equip in 03/04 to do this.. )-- Or would you just be safe as this is arguably the most important part of the process and just drive it to the Nissan Dealership?

If I did let firestone align it to the specs -- can they pull up this TSB for the 03/04 models, so they have something to work with as this isn't just a standard alignment it's a little more precise (from my understanding)?

And,.. of course -- What would an alignment cost (roughly) at firestone?

You aren't a Nissan tech,.. but anyone know what an alignment cost on average at Nissan?

Trying to get the numbers together to see what I can and can't do money wise.

Appreciate it!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

S-04's are asymmetrical, so they can be rotated left to right. They are non-directional.

The Hankook V12s are ok, I had a set on the rear of my car for a bit, bought them because they were cheap and I didn't expect any better than what they gave me. No complaints, but again for the money you can do better.

I don't work in the office so I can't say for certain on the install cost, best bet is to call the store and ask. It doesn't show on the tire-rack website? I do believe it's under $100 all in, but don't take my word for it.

The bushings, no, Firestone policy is that we are not allowed to install outside parts or customer supplied parts. So unless you find someone willing to try and purchase them for you through firestone (you will then pay mark-up), which is highly unlikely, it can't be done. Labor goes by book time rates, so you will pay the same no matter what other work is being done.

Alignment, as with any place, depends on the tech you have doing the work. I could align the car to specs with no problem, we use Hunter alignment racks and they update the software regularly, so if Nissan reported updated specs after the issue with feathering, then the updated specs will be in our systems.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:54 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I chose based on the Tirerack reviews. Their website and reviews are tops that I've found. I like how it is cross referenced for ratings of particular tire categories. Often the #1,2 or 3 rated tires will be more than halfway down the list in terms of price - this is usually the criteria I look at to find the "sweet spot"

Just put a set of the S-04 Pole Positions on my Nismo. Went up a size in the rear to 275's.

Less than a thousand miles on them so far but VERY pleased. They seem to be living up to the many positive reviews.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
S-04's are asymmetrical, so they can be rotated left to right. They are non-directional.

The Hankook V12s are ok, I had a set on the rear of my car for a bit, bought them because they were cheap and I didn't expect any better than what they gave me. No complaints, but again for the money you can do better.
The Bridgestone S04 Potenza's are the tire(s) I'm going to get in the likely event I go with a new set.

Good reviews,.. good price.. quality name brand.. and being non directional is a plus.

The Goodyear EAGLE F1's on the car now are asymmetrical AND directional. Which makes them a bit problematic.

The *cheapest* possible (maybe work) option I've been told is I could have the front Goodyear Eagle F1's (directional tires) flipped .. where the outside is on the inside.. (and I suppose put on the opposite wheel which makes them in proper alignment directional wise.) -- THEN get a front alignment to Nissan TSB specs.

Tires don't have the brand/lettering/writing on both sides of the tires do they? Won't it look odd to flip them inside out? Would you recommend this? It's certainly the cheapest option.. and the thinking I guess is putting the interior edge that is feathered on the OUTSIDE of the tire .. and the outside is now the inside which isn't feathered. Then align.. and it somehow rides fine without the noise? With a feathered outer edge I won't experience issue?

Or should I just bite the bullet and have tirerack ship the bridgestones to firestone and have them install them this week? So I'm working with a new, undamaged set of tires?

I don't work in the office so I can't say for certain on the install cost, best bet is to call the store and ask. It doesn't show on the tire-rack website? I do believe it's under $100 all in, but don't take my word for it.
I think it's safe to safe install costs are around $100 bucks, give or take.

The bushings, no, Firestone policy is that we are not allowed to install outside parts or customer supplied parts. So unless you find someone willing to try and purchase them for you through firestone (you will then pay mark-up), which is highly unlikely, it can't be done. Labor goes by book time rates, so you will pay the same no matter what other work is being done.
I've decided against going with aftermarket bushings.. some people made good points that the car has 26k miles.. it doesn't need bushings.. and frankly I'm already working with money I don't have (or am really pushing it tight.. I'm not charging any of this stuff.. but you know how it is.)

Alignment, as with any place, depends on the tech you have doing the work. I could align the car to specs with no problem, we use Hunter alignment racks and they update the software regularly, so if Nissan reported updated specs after the issue with feathering, then the updated specs will be in our systems.
I could use your help here then. I need a shop that can do the alignment with Hunter equipment to the exact Nissan specs.. precisely (for obvious reasons.) I've been told by others don't go to firestone or the "chain stores" cause they can't do it. You just said your store can. Is there any way you can check if my store can?

My store is:

Call 205-238-6327
Store # 12335
Store Manager: Kathy Phelps
4619 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35242-5029

I can call of course, but since you work there in some capacity.. maybe you can get the info on their equipment and ability to align a 2008 350Z to the TSB specs (which I have printed out if needed) with Hunter equipment.

Let me know,.. it'd be a huge help.

If that firestone can do the alignment properly.. then I can have tirerack.com ship to them (they are an approved installer).. the bridgestones.. and firestone can do it all.. mount, balance, valve stems, and alignment. I drop off.. come back pick up and it's a done deal, no driving all over town to get each thing done individually.

Thanks !

Quick Reply: Choosing between a few tire brands.