Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Show car on Ebay. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004 | 07:54 PM
shinz

If their price and everything is right then that's a great deal. Plus someone mentioned that it's a company show car, so i'd assume they'd go that little extra mile to get that car tuned and what not and have it running pretty decently. After all, that car represents them and they wouldnt do all that just to have it go BOOM.
Old 11-29-2004 | 02:04 PM
MustGoFastR

One would think.

I heven't gotten any response to my e-mail yet and that's one of the things I inquired about.
Old 11-29-2004 | 02:11 PM
JimRHIT

Those are not the only set of CP-F tuned wheels in the country ... there are a bunch of Zs on here sporting them

I'd say its a bargain if you are looking for a show car for the weekend, but it has no function as a carrying vehicle .. there are too many expensive things to break
Old 11-29-2004 | 02:38 PM
aznmojo

Great deal if its legit, just don't use it as a daily driver.
Old 11-29-2004 | 06:09 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by JimRHIT
Those are not the only set of CP-F tuned wheels in the country ... there are a bunch of Zs on here sporting them
I figured. They do look damn nice; the rears are awesome.

Is it just me or do those big brakes not look that big? Anybody heard of the Evotion kit or know anything about it?
Old 11-29-2004 | 06:13 PM
MustGoFastR

Ho! Found a 4 page article on the car:
http://www.m-emag.com/article.asp?se...ber=1&preview=

Just read it. Focuses mainly on the A/V and interior. Auction page doesn't even mention the PS2 mounted in the passenger side of the dash. Guess that airbag is gone. A/V system looks awesome. Can't for the life of me fugure out why they didn't replace the steering wheel as well (other than sticking strictly with Toucan Industries and other commissioned manufacturer's parts); the stock wheel looks completely out of place (easily rectified). Performance-wise, I'm sure it'd have to be checked over real well by a competant tuner. They likely just did the suspension for looks, so it probably needs sway bars and LSD (not a big deal). However, the biggest problem I see is what they did with the instruments. They replaced the entire instrument cluster with aftermarket gauges, when they could have just added them as supplementary gauges in an A-pillar cluster. Now, there's no fuel guage, no MIL, no odometer, Hell, not even a speedo. THAT's a problem.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 11-29-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2004 | 09:27 AM
MustGoFastR

Got an e-mail back on it. The deal's legit. The guy that wrote me back is Project Coodinator for C16 magazine, so not sure at this point what's up with ownershio of the car, but here's what I asked and what I got back:

Q. -what are the circumstances of this car being put up for sale and with so much in it, how can you be offering it at such a low price?

A. The car has served its purpose for the company that built it and now is just sitting here. It was only used to show off product line and for the SEMA show.

Q. -Are all of the modifucations fully functional and properly tuned (NOS, Supercharger, suspension alignment, etc)?

A. everything except the NX is fully functional

Q. -Are all of the stereo upgrades fully functional?

A. yes all stereo upgrades are set up and functional

Q. -How streetable is it? i.e.: with all the stuff on it, is the car roadworthy and drivable in daily driving conditions?

A. With the little the car was driven yes it is very streetable, but like the auction says the car was not driven much and once it was set up initially it was set.
I e-mailed back to ask about the gauge and safety item concerns I posted above and I may give the guy a call later. At worst, though, it'd just need a bit more work to get everything you need. The NX bottle could be hooked up to an intercooler sprayer or something. Not sure if I'd really want to buy the thing, but it's an awesome car and a Hell of a deal.
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:23 AM
MustGoFastR

More questions answered:

Q. -Are the stock seat belts still intact in the B-pillar so that they could potentially be hooked back up? How about the clasps for them on either side of the center console?

A. the seat belts are not intact, but they can be hooked back up if you need them to be

Q. -I found this article about the car: http://www.memag.com/article.asp?sec...ber=1&preview= It mentions a PS2 installed in the passenger side of the dash which is not mentioned on the auction page. I assume the passenger airbag is gone, then?

A. yes the PS2 is installed so there is no airbag on the passenger side

Q. -Can you provide any additional pictures? I'd like to see a good shot of the gauges. From the auction page and the article, it appears not to have a gas gauge, check engine light or even a speedometer.

A. some of the gauges are not there you are correct on the gauges that are missing

Q. Living in an area where state inspections have to be performed each year, these items are potentially big problems. Also, for anyone who bought this car, I doubt very much they'd simply trailer it to meets and shows; they'd want to drive it. If the car isn't legal or safe on the street, then it's going to be a hard sell, regardless of all the work and parts that went into it. I like the car alot, but am hesitant and need as much info. as possible to help me decide.

A. I understand where you are standing, i do know that some of these things are issues for ppl in different states. where we are located we happen not to need some of the emission purposes nor do we get inspected every year.
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:40 AM
LeanerJoe
Banned

That is one sharp Z.......it looks real good. But no on the daily driver tip! Great show car!?!?!?!
Old 11-30-2004 | 02:25 PM
MustGoFastR

Yet more info. I inquired about the milage and odemeter:
A. the odometer of the car is under the gauges now they sunk in the stock cluster and made the new gauges sit above them.

this was just incase the car threw a check engine light or if we ever need the info off of it, it was still intact
That's good to know that the stock cluster is still there and hooked up, just hidden. Not sure how you'd know if it threw a check engine light, though. Man, this is starting to look like a really sweet deal...
Old 11-30-2004 | 02:44 PM
bixby

Well, even though they list $80k in mods consider that it was probably an early 03 release and had sponsors out the a$$ so the 80k is based on retail costs for whats on the car not the sellers "actual" investment. either way they're losing money I'm sure.

Bottom line, If I had 35k spend on a "toy" maybe. Then I'd spend another 20k or so to lose the wing and a bunch of other gawdy crap they have on it. Performance parts stay of course
Old 11-30-2004 | 04:07 PM
Contagious Cure

Odds are, this guy doesn't own the car. Seems like a scam to me. Although, I'm more paranoid than most. My opinion is based on the low amount of feedback he has. Usually, sellers that are selling a car legitimately will have a much higher feedback than this.
Old 11-30-2004 | 06:27 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by Contagious Cure
Odds are, this guy doesn't own the car. Seems like a scam to me. Although, I'm more paranoid than most. My opinion is based on the low amount of feedback he has. Usually, sellers that are selling a car legitimately will have a much higher feedback than this.
If it is a scam, it's a damn good one. I've gotten lots of detailed info. from this guy and have his work and cell number. He is project coordinator for C16 Magazine; not sure what the association is with Toucan Industries, who commisioned the car.
Old 11-30-2004 | 07:07 PM
bamyi

Everything may be legit and functional but like everyone said, its only for show. I can almost gurantee you that the car is not street legal in almost all 50 states. I would also question the quality of the work, does it rattle when it drives?. And since it had a supercharger, was the car ever driven hard and hows the engine? You get my drift? My point is that you can't tell unless you see it and drive it in person.

If you ask me, you're paying 35k for a large trophy and nothing more.
Old 12-01-2004 | 05:52 AM
Zexy

Yuck x 2
Old 12-01-2004 | 06:32 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by bamyi
Everything may be legit and functional but like everyone said, its only for show. I can almost gurantee you that the car is not street legal in almost all 50 states. I would also question the quality of the work, does it rattle when it drives?. And since it had a supercharger, was the car ever driven hard and hows the engine? You get my drift? My point is that you can't tell unless you see it and drive it in person.

If you ask me, you're paying 35k for a large trophy and nothing more.
Interesting. More than one has made a comment of this sort, but I just don't get it. If you ignore the fancy interior and stereo, it's just a Z with a body kit, coil-overs, nice rims, a spercharger, headers and exhaust. Lots of people here have Zs with those mods and more, so what makes it illegal or a trophy only? A fancy paint job? A fancy stereo install?

Sure, I do have some concerns and as it was built as a show car, it would probably need a little work to make it a good road-going car. The seats and harnesses are not approved, so I'd likely put stock seats and belts back in and custom upholter them to go with the interior. A bit of mod-work done by a good shop could restore the facoty gauge cluster to it's original position if need be and finish it off to match, while re-locating the aux gauges to an A-pillar pod. The side window monitors would likely come out for visibility, but could be popped back in for shows. The NX bottle could either be removed or hooked up to an IC sprayer. Obviously, with all that stuff inside, any carrying pratcticality the car had is gone, but as it would be a weekend toy, I wouldn't want to carry anything it it anyway.

I did ask about rattles and am waiting to hear back on that, but the install was done by a reputable shop and fancy A/V installs are done like this on road-going cars all the time, so it's not like you'd put a $10k sound system in a car and install it so slopily that everything rattles all over the place. As for being driven hard, well it only has 200 miles on it (the stock gauge cluster/odometer is still connected, just hidded under the new guage panel and the car was just used for shows. With that much $$$ in it and it's purpose, I doubt very much they let anyone thrash it and even if it was given a few good runs, there can't be that much harm that's been done with only 200 miles on the clock.

Just thinking out loud from my perspective and experience. If I were seriously considering buying it, I would most deffinitely want it checked out before hand (I have relatives in FL that could do it). It's a cool car and tempting to be able to get a package like that for such a price, but ultimately, the car really isn't my style. I'm more in the market for a slightly used '03 or '04 M3. This Z looks to be a once in a lifetime opportunity for somebody, though.
Old 12-01-2004 | 06:41 AM
myGthang

nice
Old 12-01-2004 | 07:33 AM
xchriz012x

First of all...try and find out who owns the car.
heck just call the company and ask about the car and it being listed on Ebay. tell them you are considering it buying it now.
if they are really selling it...buy the damn thing. I would. and change the gauges...and sell some of the mods you don't want.
like the whole mess in the trunk. if you want it to be functional i mean. i'm pretty sure some of us will buy those mods you dont' want. or perhaps exchange them.
it's got rims, sc, big breaks...that alone makes up for the car. if you have problems with the car, take it to a local mechanic. or take it to a tuning shop near you. pretty sure they can handle the problems.
bottom line...i'd buy it!!
Old 12-01-2004 | 10:12 AM
mdacko

id buy it just for the kit, sc, brakes, wheels, and paint. i think its a pretty sweet looking car. do it as long as its not your daily.
Old 12-01-2004 | 11:38 AM
taurran

Nothing like riding down the highway using a NOS bottle for an armrest...

Quick Reply: Show car on Ebay. Worth it?