Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Show car on Ebay. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004 | 09:24 AM
synth19

^ YES!!!! First thing is to remove the wing!
Old 12-03-2004 | 09:28 AM
dirtyelk

most deffinetly not worth it, ull be screwed 4 the warranty if anything happens
Old 12-03-2004 | 09:50 AM
esemes

CONGRATS STEVE!!!

now, STRIP the junk/jewelry off, sell it all, and get the APS single turbo kit....'
'
im in SFL (kinda), and would like to check her out with ya, if you'd like.....

-anyway, congrats - it looks like a good starting point (and it is always a rewarding feeling to remove parts from a car, imo)

ESE
Old 12-03-2004 | 11:14 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by dirtyelk
most deffinetly not worth it, ull be screwed 4 the warranty if anything happens
Luckily, there's a Z loving dealership here in town that has already said they'd work with me.
Old 12-03-2004 | 11:21 AM
nicolaycastro

Congratulations, keep us updated. Good thing about the dealer.
Old 12-03-2004 | 11:43 AM
guru_ck

Which 200 miles on the motor if you were to take off the super charger and engine mods I don't think they would have a problem covering it under warranty.
Old 12-03-2004 | 11:58 AM
MustGoFastR

I'll likely disconnect the SC when I get it and give it a proper break-in of a few thousand miles at least. I want to make sure I don't run into the grinding that some of the '03 trannies were prone to as well.

The wing will likely come off and a red Nismo one will go on, the stickers will go, as well as the side window monitors. Stock seats will probably go back in (they have a ton of the stock parts they are loading up on a palatte and shipping to me, including the stock seats that have already bee re-upholstered to go with the interior). NX bottle will come out. Other than that, I don't know what I'll do yet. The gauges in the car aren't connected, but they are having them hooked up before they ship it. Since the stock cluster is intact inside the dash, I may see what it would take to just have it restored and matched to the interior, then put the oil temp, volt and boost gauge in an A-pillar pod. They way they set it up is ok, but there's no speedo or gas gauge visible to the driver. Anyway, lots to keep me busy before I'll even get it inspected and registered. This should deffinitely keep my mod habit satisfied for a while.
Old 12-03-2004 | 03:53 PM
bamyi

hey, congrats, PLEASE let us know if its a scam or not. I really hope its not but let us know so we at least know how these guys do business. Again, Congrats and I know you'll enjoy it
Old 12-03-2004 | 04:14 PM
esemes

mgfr-

maybe DONT have them connect the gauges, cause they'll likely hack the harnesses to shreds....

i say leave the oem harnesses intact, and reconstruct the oem pod and centerack instead.....
Old 12-03-2004 | 08:35 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by esemes
mgfr-

maybe DONT have them connect the gauges, cause they'll likely hack the harnesses to shreds....

i say leave the oem harnesses intact, and reconstruct the oem pod and centerack instead.....
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 12-03-2004 | 09:19 PM
MustGoFastR

Ok, guys, help me out here. Shortly after the end of the auction, I recieved a mysterious, disturbing e-mail:

I just want to warn you. You are gonna get scammed on the 350z that you won the auction on today. I dont want to get in the middle of it, but just wanted to warn you!
to which I replied:
Scammed how? I appreciate the warning and I can assure you that you wouldn't be pulled into the middle of anything, but in order for me to take you seriously, I'll need a bit more than that from you. Who are you and what exactly do you know?
And I recieved later this evening:
Trust me, There is a reason that they are selling the car! All I can say is that I may know some one that works for Toucan (HINT, HINT!) and that they have had LOTS of problems out of this car. You will be lucky if the car lasts 1 week. This is all the info I can give. You can take my advise, or you cannot, but I just wanted to warn you.
Best of luck

What do you think? Something to it? Disgruntled, jealous losing bidder? Thing is, I've asked so many questions about the car of the guy that's handling the sale and he's bent over backwards to try to do everything for me I've asked, though he doesn't have tons of personal hands-on experience with the car, works with others that have and I've talked with them as well, though I suppose there is the possibility that IF there was something seriously wrong with it, he wouldn't know about it. I'm a pretty good judge of character and I can tell this guy is on the level, at least. I've also called the shop that did the interior install and spoke with one of the guys that did it to confirm some of the info. I was getting. Hell, it's only got 200 miles on the clock; how would anyone even know if there was something seriously wrong? It kind of freaks me out, though, and I don't know what to do. I can have someone check out the car, but really, what would they look for? I've called my contact there and told him about this as well and he's got no clue and is pissed that someone would do that, but completeky understands that I want to cover all bases in light of this. I've made no deposit thus far and said I'd like to send someone to thouroughly check out the car and he said no problem. He even said he'd hold the car until Wed morning if it took a littl longer to check it out and for me to be comfortable. Any advice? Should I try to pay an area Nissan mechanic to go check it over? Ask them to take it to a dealership to check out? (auction says "as-is", so they aren't obligated to). The guy at Maddog Audio (interior install) offered to check it out as well, but don't know if he can do it in time. Cost me too much to fly over on short notice and I don't know what I'd see, anyway. Help?
Old 12-04-2004 | 08:23 AM
esemes

pm'd you on fxorg.
Old 12-04-2004 | 08:46 AM
MezzChris

If it sounds too good to be true it IS. I smell something funny here. Come on. A $30K car with $80K in mods for $35K???

FISHY.
Old 12-04-2004 | 09:28 AM
MustGoFastR

Got another e-mail:

Look man, I am just trying to do the RIGHT thing here. They advertise that the car only has 200 miles, but that is on the AFTERMARKET gauges. The original gauges are not on the car anymore. You will notice this car has custom gauges. I am not gonna go any further with this because it could cost me my job, if you want the car, "buy it", but I can assure you it will be nothing but heartache. If I were you I would just WALK AWAY. I know for a fact nothing will happen to you from them if you back out, its not worth their time or money to pursue you. Also, there is some cracking in the fiber glass panels as well. THIS IS ALL I AM GONNA SAY. PLEASE DONT ASK FOR MORE.
Best of luck.
I replied (playing dumb and fishing for more info):
Really? While I'd hardly call some cracking in the fiberglass a deal
breaker, the odometer issue is a different story. That very well could mean big problems that are hidden, if it really has more miles and has been beat on. At least tell me this (c'mon, you can't lose your job if I have no idea who you are): is this THE major issue you referred to that would potentially make the car only last a week or is there anything else? If/when I back out, I won't quote these reasons, so they'd have no reason to suspect inside info., but I want to be as informed as possible so I feel I'm making hte right decision. This is the last thing I'll ask of you; I swear. Just tell me if this is THE BIG issue or if there is even more and what it is, then I'll feel confident enough to make the decision to walk away. Thank you so much; you have no idea how much I appreciate this.
got a reply:
No, the big issue is and was a motor problem. I was just letting you know about the cracking also. I REALLY cant go any further........ I am getting too deep as it is, but trust me, the MAJOR problem is a motor issue.......
Now, as for the gauges, I am aware that the ones visible to the driver are afermarket, however, I am also aware that they are NOT functional. There is no odometer at all in these new gauges, either. The question of milage was one of the first on my list. I have since confirmed with Phil of C16 AND Danny of Mad Dog Audio (that actually did the interior install and has no stake in the car whatsoever), that these computer controlled late model cars WILL NOT run unless the stock gauge cluster is connected. They have both confirmed that the stock cluster is in fact there, just re-located below/inside the dash panel for the aftermarket gauges. They are going to send me pics to prove it first thing monday

So is this true that the car won't start unless the pod is connected? If it CAN be run without, they could have unpluged it and done God only knows. Mechanical problems would indicate improperly tuned SC, but if there were issues, wouldn't it throw a CEL? I'm going to have them shoot a pic of the stock cluster they say is there and connected Monday and and ask that the pic be taken with the car running so I can see if the CEL is on, which they assure me, the last time they checked it a couple weeks ago that it was not. I checked with a couple of techs this morning and they didn't know if it would run or not without the cluster connected, as none of them have ever had to tear into the dash of these cars. What else can I do? I certainly don't want to get screwed, but I don't want to be run off by a clever person trying to take the car out from under me, either.
Old 12-04-2004 | 11:22 AM
booger

Who ever you send there to check it out [ if you go that far in the deal ] Have them do a compression check and a leak down test . And if it doesnt have some type of timing control on it......Then you can be assured its not the car to buy . Man I feal for you . I know you want it . But be smart and dont let your need for it over take your thinking.....good luck
Old 12-04-2004 | 01:11 PM
mdracer76
Banned

man.. trust your instincts here... this person emailing you sounds to me link a tool .....

my 2 cents
Old 12-04-2004 | 01:14 PM
MustGoFastR

I'm getting real nervous. Things are just not sitting right with me. I completely trust the rep I've been dealing with, but believe he doesn't neccessarily know all there is to know about the car. The mysterious e-mailer claims to be an employee of Toucan and has the inside scoop and is just trying to do the right thing. May be someone just trying to get me to run so they can jump on it, but it doesn't seem that way from the tone of the e-mails. Person seems afraid they're disclosing what they are.

Lets look at worst case scenario: Poor SC install = engine problems = re-build, possibly tranny work as well. With everything the car has on/in it, is it still a value even if that's the case?
Old 12-04-2004 | 01:20 PM
esemes

white elephant, possibly.....

the most important part of the build is mostly undescribed here. the blower, and subsequent tuning....

is it even installed correctly, and, how about the EM??? is it dynotuned, and for what elevation?? what type of fuel system, and so on and so on.........

IMO, if i wasnt 100% sure of this, id let it go, and be on the lookout for just the opposite of this (bone-stock, dry toast Z)
Old 12-04-2004 | 01:28 PM
MustGoFastR

What is a leak down test?
Old 12-04-2004 | 01:34 PM
booger

Ive never seen one done...I believe it puts pressure in the cyl . and measures how much pressure is lost

Quick Reply: Show car on Ebay. Worth it?