Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rearended going to work this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:57 AM
ttsupra94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rearended going to work this morning!

Well, i'm heading to work this morning up I95 at about 5:15. I'm in the left lane and these two cars in front of me were braking off and on in the traffic and then all of a sudden they started braking pretty hard, so I was braking also thinking they were just slowing down a little, they pretty much stopped all the way, almost had to lock my brakes. There was a lot of traffic and next thing i know, i feel the hit from behind. I didn't hit the car in front of me, thank god, even though it wasn't my fault. So i'm rolling off onto the shoulder and can see cars swerving behind me. I was thinking, holy crap, this is going to be like a 20 car pileup. I came to a stop and was dreading getting out to look at the damage to my car and others. I get out and take a look and was pretty suprised. I have the RSR exhaust and it sticks out, so it took most of the hit, kinda pushed it up and scratched/dented the rear around the exhausts and might have bent the exhaust. There are scratches on my bumper in a few places. I look up and this guy who was behind the whole mess is on the phone to 911 and making sure everyone was ok. I look ACROSS, yes across I95 to see a Honda accord 4 door that is basically crushed from the front and rear and in the ditch. I thought that guy had to have been in bad shape but he was out and walking around fine. Here is what happened, according to the state trooper after talking to everyone.

1.Me
2. Elantra
3. Honda accord
4. Ford Encoline ( the big like 10 passenger one)
Other involved: F250

I hit my brakes and the Elantra behind me hit his. The accord smashed the Elantra who then hit me. Then the van smashed the honda, which spun and slide across 3 lanes and was hit by the F250 ending up in the ditch. Basically it was 2 separate accidents with the honda responsible for me and the elantra and the van responsible for the rear damage to the accord and the truck.

My exhaust didn't seem to be touching the rear so i drove to work after standing out in the 35 degree weather for about an hour. I dont have any pics, but it was quite a sight. The elantra, both airbags deployed and his rear was pretty messed up. The vans front was a little messed up and the truck looked to have very little damage. The accord was just completely smashed, i still can't believe that guy was alright.

Its pretty disappointing, i had just put my new wheels on a couple days ago and spent hours washing and cleaning it yesterday.

On the other hand, i'm assuming I will get paid money to fix the bumper and anything with the exhaust system that was messed up. I'm thinking i'm going to have to get a new exhaust system which is the only positive of the situation.

I've bumped into someone once going like 5 mph in traffic and there was no damage so this is like my first actual accident and it was huge. Then traffic was horrible to go the rest of the way to work so i got to work almost 2 hours later than normal. I'm just glad everyone was ok.

Sorry for the long post, but i'm kinda venting and getting it off my chest.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:03 AM
ttsupra94

I will try and post pictures when i get a chance.

There was something that was kinda funny though, after the accident, the honda and the truck were on the right side of 95 and me and the other two cars were on the left. There was only one state trooper and he pulled up on the right side. So he had stop traffic to walk over to the right to make sure everyone was alright and take a look at the cars. After he came across, traffic started moving again. Then he stopped them again to go back across. After he talked to the two drivers he then came back across (this is the funny part) once he came across he was sitting there talking to us but the traffic didn't start moving again, he talked to us for a couple minutes and I was just looking behind him kind of grinning cause there must have been a couple hundred cars just sitting on 95 while he was talking, then he finally walked back across and they started to move again. It sucked for him though cause he basically came over to the right side to get me walked back across to talk to me in his car, brought me back across and got the next guy and then did it again. So he pretty much had to stop traffic on I95 during rush hour about 5 or 6 times.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:36 AM
mpol99

Hopefully you won't have any problems with the guy's insurance.

Post pics.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:43 AM
mdracer76
Banned

man.. that SUX!.. g'luck .. hope your baby gets fixed quick
Old 11-29-2004, 07:53 AM
FastWRX

Default Hit in the A$$ in my WRX

I feel ya ! I was rear ended TWICE in the last 2 months ! People just follow too close and there's the proof. Similar scenario as you, slow down ahead, brake fairly hard, not bumping the guy in front of me, because unlike the idiots behind me, i leave more than 2 inches between my front end and the car in front of me. The first time i needed to have my rear bumper cover replaced and my Tanabe Hyper Medallion muffler (like you, it sticks out past the bumper). The second time i was actually driving the courtesy car from my dealership !! No damage however. Both times not at fault. I think the only thing we can do to TRY and avoid these annoying events is to leave lots of space in front so that we can brake less aggressively and basically make up for the incompetence of the drivers behind us.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:03 AM
ttsupra94

I dont think there will be any problems with the guy's insurance. He was driving a pretty new honda accord 4 door and was wearing a suit so i'm guessing does alright. Police were there and got all the details so i guess its just a matter of when. I have to call the officer tomorrow to find out the final details and get the guys insurance. The officer still had to decide how and what exactly the two responsible people would be charged with. I know no one wants to be in an accident, but especially the monday morning after thanksgiving. I had just put those wheels on and now it is going to have to sit until i figure out what i'm doing. I pray that i get reimbursed for that exhaust or that the stock one gets me some good money. Hopefully there wont be too much out of my pocket cause i was going to buy a seibon hood soon.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:01 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, really sorry to hear that.

If it makes you feel any better, my sister-in-law broke her leg and did serious ligament/tendon damage to her ankle jumping on a trampoline on Thanksgiving day while we were visiting family in Mississippi. She goes in for surgery to have a titanium plate/pin put in her ankle to pull it all back together again.

Traveling with someone in a wheelchair is a real *****, too, although I'm glad I'm not in her shoes. (no pun intended.)
Old 11-29-2004, 10:15 AM
ttsupra94

Yeah. I'm not mad or anything, especially after seeing how bad 2 of the other cars were. Just glad no one was hurt. There must have been 4 or 5 accidents that i saw on the way to work this morning in a 40 mile stretch, so traffic was horrible. Hence the only real bad part was that i didn't get to work until 730 (usually get there at 545 and I work 4 10 hour days), so I wont get out of here until 6. I think the shock of the accident has kinda drained me though cause i'm feeling really tired already.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Penderwheels

You said you were waiting to get the Insuance info from the police ?????

Man, you should ALWAYS get the other drivers (ALL of them) (A) Name (B) Address (C) Drivers License # and (D) Insurance co. and policy number.

NEVER, depend on others for that info. ALWAYS get it yourself.

Also, give all the data to your insurance claims people.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:38 PM
DragonGcoupe

Damn. =\
Old 11-29-2004, 03:21 PM
ttsupra94

The police officer told us that we didn't need to trade info, he would take care of all of it. We were on opposite sides of 95, i dont think he wanted us crossing at will to exchange info. The guy that was responsible for me and the guy behind me was going to give us the info but the officer told him not to worry about. I have paperwork from the trooper though
Old 11-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Only sure way to avoid that is to keep a nice sized following distance between you and the car in front of you. That way you can see what's going on (difficult in these small cars with all these HUGE SUV's) and so you have enough time to slow down gradually.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:11 AM
ttsupra94

yeah, i had enough room and so did the guy behind me, but the two behind us did not or weren't paying attention. I will try and get some pictures up soon, but its usually dark when i get home. Seeing the other cars and feeling the impact, i thought the damage would be much much worse. I will need a new rear bumper and a new exhaust. I dont think anything else underneath was damaged, but i need to check all the exhaust pieces under the car and also check all the hangers and joints to see if they are bent. The driver side tip is pushed in about 2 inches further than the right side so something had to give way. I actually didn't want this exhaust anymore, so hopefully it works out well. Car will just be out of commission for a while.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:40 AM
mgl

wow, that sucks. 2nd z in the month that has been involved in a 4+ car pileup.
glad your not hurt tho.
good luck with everything.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:06 AM
ttsupra94

Default Some pics

It's kinda hard to see in the pics, but the left (drivers side) exhaust took most of the hit and the fender is scratched and cracked a little but not bad. I'm assuming i'm going to need a new rear bumper with painting and to be paid the price of a new RSR exhaust with shipping and install prices. Here are a couple pics though. I tried to take one to show how the left exhaust is pushed in more than the right but i think my camera died in the process and didn't save it.
Attached Thumbnails Rearended going to work this morning!-picture-042.jpg  
Old 12-03-2004, 08:07 AM
ttsupra94

Default another

Attached Thumbnails Rearended going to work this morning!-picture-043.jpg  
Old 12-03-2004, 08:07 AM
ttsupra94

Default another

Attached Thumbnails Rearended going to work this morning!-picture-045.jpg  
Old 12-03-2004, 08:08 AM
ttsupra94

Default another

Attached Thumbnails Rearended going to work this morning!-picture-047.jpg  
Old 12-03-2004, 08:09 AM
ttsupra94

Default last one

Attached Thumbnails Rearended going to work this morning!-picture-044.jpg  
Old 12-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Bird_Dog0347

Nice to see the damage is light... Sweet rims BTW. It will be good as new soon.