Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

popcharger question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Ante Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popcharger question

i just installed it last night and was wondering if there was a 1 week break in period to allow computer to adjust to more air?! I do notice my car is a louder but seems like I lost torque on low end but made a difference about 4k rpm and more. Am I off base on this? I am new here so any advice would help.

Dan
Old 11-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Sully

i was also wondering this.. Ive read around different forums, that installing intake & PC would require adjustment to the ECU..

Thoughts & Opinions?

Pro's & Cons?

-Sully
Old 11-30-2004, 08:32 AM
arlingtonz

I have the JWT popcharger, I have not dynoed the car at all, therefore I cannot tell you about performance gains. i didn't notice a loss, and i didn't notice a gain, how the engine seems very smooth, and i love the vaccum sound it produces. sorry i can't be more help than that, but i have herd of modest 2-4 hp gains, with no loss in tq. i like it, sounds throatier
Old 11-30-2004, 09:43 AM
GWAPITO69

most of the guys will tell you that it will adjust after 300miles or you can disconnect your battery for a day or an hour i dont know which one but that should adjust your ecu. i didn't notice any difference just the whistling sound it makes. o yeah my bro drove my car yesterday and the car shuts down on the freeway good thing he's only driving 30mph. i think that there are few z owners who experience this with their popcharger but not sure thou. as for me i'm driving my car everyday for 11 months now with the popcharger and my car never shuts down on me while i'm driving.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Sully

ive read something somewhere in this forum about that happening... but in that case the kid was doing around 100mph. Hmm.. slight safety concern with that.

-Sully
Old 12-01-2004, 07:12 AM
richhoward

Yeah, I was racing my buddy's corvette z06 and cadillac cts-v on the parkway doing about 120 and luckily it was on a straight away, the car just died right when i switched into 5th gear.. i didnt know what happened, i didnt have any power steering or brakes.. luckily first thign i pulled to the right to the shoulder and put the car in neutral and started it back up and threw it into 5th and slowed down pretty scary if you didnt know that could happen, but luckily with this forum i had read about it before. I also have had it for about 9 months and i think it makes the car sound alot better, didnt notice a loss or gain just sound difference. Also be careful with that shutting off, that is the only time I have ever had it happen to me also, and i use my car as a daily driver.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Sully

Thanks for the info..im not to sure, but i think the other kid that had the issue, was at or around 5th gear. Hmm..

Sully
Old 12-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Z-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed mine, never set the ECU, and did not do any kind of break-in. I have had no problems, and have had it several months. I love it.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:03 PM
nitrousoxidex

Yeah...I'm the one Sully is talkin about i think. Here was the thread from a little while ago. My car shut off while I was racing.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=98787
Old 12-01-2004, 08:27 PM
tulene

y'all are crazy to put up with the stalling. totally unsafe. i cant imagine it ever being a good time to do so. plus the mental uncertainty of 'if.' how the heck do you do a road trip?

i loved the popcharger, really did. but it stalled me out in rush hour traffic blocking buses and all.
i didnt buy an old porsche. i bought a new z. therefore, popcharger is gone. drilled holes in my stock intake box instead. good enough sound, no stalling.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:56 AM
Sully

It seems to be an issue that happens with only a few Z's

So im thinking maybe someone should write a letter to JWT and see if there some testing that could be done. Possiable recall..

Sully
Old 12-02-2004, 11:51 AM
lascala26

7 months with a JWT and my Z has never stalled. You may want to make sure you clean your popcharger. That could cause the stall. Your engine needs air and dirt can block it.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:57 AM
roydiculous

I think we are all going to need to be resigned to the fact that we will never know what's really up with the popcharger.

Unless a group of people were able to reproduce the stalling every time and then changed one variable (cleaned out MAF, cleaned popcharger, make sure there isn't excess oi, etc etc) and have it consistently NOT stall anymore - then we might be getting somewhere.

When I got my popcharger, I'd shift it into neutral at 70mph (b/c that is where I heard there were issues, in neutral at high speed)... and my rpms would dip to 500 and then "recover" to 800rpm. Well I never did that with my stock airbox so I dunno if this is a "popcharger" specific characteristic. All I know is that if it dipped to under 500, then stall central.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Sully

"Well I never did that with my stock airbox so I dunno if this is a "popcharger" specific characteristic." We can test this out this weekend. W00T..

Before i put my Pop on.

Sully
Old 12-02-2004, 12:51 PM
gundam02

I also had the high speed stall issue. It's actually due to the low RPM with no load on the engine with tons of air being pushed into the engine. So the stall occurs when the car is idling too long with high air flow into the engine. If you have the car in gear and simply let off the gas instead of putting it in neutral it will not stall as there will still be load on the engine. Also if you give the car a little throttle so it will burn some of that air you will be ok too.

The reason this is more prevelant with the pop charger is due to the fact that is it less restricted in the air it allows in the system. A CAI has a longer tube which has more drag so when air is not being "sucked" into the engine there isn't much extra air coming in. But with the pop-charger it is a straight short shot and the air flow is being pushed right on the intake. The stock box is more restrictive in air flow as well so it won't be affected as easily either.

So it is kind of something that is supposed to happen, but if you are not thinking about it the car can stall when you don't want it to, so just know why it does it and you will be fine.

FYI
Old 12-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Ante Up

What is the normal idle on your car after installing the popcharger because mine is at 500 rpm sometimes even a little lower?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:51 AM
soupnazi1

Interesting info gundam02.

I wonder if any Z owners with automatics and a popcharger have ever stalled.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:58 AM
MA4

uh...if a 6MT Z stalls, can't you just put it in gear and let the clutch out to start the car again, whats the problem?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Z4ME2

I've been debating the merits of the pop charger for some time, but this thread pretty much convinces me that the potential risks (stalling at speed) outweigh the benefits (better sound, little or no hp gain). I know not everyone experiences this issue, but why risk it for little or no gain?

- John
Old 12-15-2004, 02:08 PM
MA4

stalling in a manual car is not a risk, just put the car in gear then let the clutch out

Quick Reply: popcharger question