Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New 3M film insanity: splash guards

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 3M film insanity: splash guards

Well, after self-installing my Invisiguard/Xpel kit on my 350Z, I started looking at other areas of the paint that were vulnerable. First off, I am NOT a professional 3M film installer. I'm a hack, a stubborn amatuer who convinced himself that I can install this glorified Saran wrap. I don't produce, sell or professionally install this stuff.

I'm pleased with the results thusfar. I'll post my adventure in 3M self installation at a later date. I have plenty of advice on detecting a good vs. bad 3M install.

Nissan does a great job of integrating wheel splash guards on its cars. Unfortunately the body colored splash guards are really going to get beat up badly by road debris. The plastic pieces have a dark grey core, so it's like to look very bad for PP white, C. silver, Daytona blue and Silverstone.

Pre-cut pieces of the 3M film are not available, so I improvised. Bulk 3M film is dirt cheap. I'd suggest cutting the film with a circular "pizza cutter" type knife from a crafts store. A straight and true cut is difficult with scissors.

Only the outer border of the film needs to be cut precisely. The other edges can be wrapped around to hide them.

Voila! The first 3M "clear bra" coverage of the splash films ever done!

Are there no limits to this 3M film madness?

Dean
Old 11-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Radian

I'd love to hear your experiances with the "self-installaion" of your 3m clear bra. Did you buy a "kit" with the peices already precut or did yuo just buy a roll of film and cut it yourself?

Did you use a heat gon to help bend it around the corners?

Any more picks and tips would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:48 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

xpel makes the kits for the splash guards.. they also make the kits for the door sills...

i have the door sill kit... i still dont think the splash guard ones are necessary.

m
Old 11-03-2002, 10:57 AM
Dean

I'd like to see Xpel's pattern for the door sills and splash guards. They aren't on the Xpel website, so I suspect that the local Xpel guys fabricated the pieces for you.

As for being "necessary" it's a pretty redundant question. The 3M film is not "necessary" at all, if you really think about it. A 350Z with sandblasted, chipped paint can be just as enjoyable as a new one.

In my opinion, the splash guards painted finish will be the most vulnerable of all the surfaces to flying rocks, etc. On the other hand, they're cheap to replace.

http://www.xpel.com/paint/product.as...17&image1.y=11

Dean

Last edited by Dean; 11-03-2002 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:03 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by Dean
I'd like to see Xpel's pattern for the door sills and splash guards. They aren't on the Xpel website, so I suspect that you had the local Xpel guys fabricate the pieces for you.

http://www.xpel.com/paint/product.as...17&image1.y=11

Dean
unfortunately, i have to say you are right... since the installer was XPEL temselves at their headquarters in San Antonio...

ever try the telephone? web shopping is still not 100%. try speaking with people.

m
Old 11-03-2002, 11:12 AM
Dean

Michael,

Web shopping is overrated.

I purchased my Xpel-patterned kit from Jeremy (aka Krinkov). His company, Invisiguard, is a licensed Xpel installer. The complete, uninstalled kit, including the headlight film, was $275 shipped. I spoke to Jeremy at length (on the telephone )about the difficulty on the 350Z kit. I wouldn't hesistate to use his services if you live in So Cal. It's too bad the group buy ended so soon.

Our friends at Xpel will gladly charge the retail consumer $549 without the headlight pieces or shipping.

Thanks, Jeremy!
Old 11-03-2002, 11:41 AM
BENCH

How much does it cost just to buy a kit for the front bumper only?

Nevermind, it's $299 Does this thing strong enough to withstand a bumper to bumper hit when parallel parking?

Last edited by BENCH; 11-03-2002 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:32 AM
Dean

Bench,

I'm not sure that the 3M film could withstand a low speed bumper impact, but it will certainly prevent some of the superficial scrapes and scratches.

Dean