Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 02:04 PM
acrowder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint

Purchased 04 Blue Convertible 2 weeks ago. The car was brand new with only 30 mile on the odometer. I had never really looked at the car in direct blistering Florida sunlight. It looks like there are tiny scratches in the paint. Not a surface scratch but like there are tiny little spider webs in the paint all over the car. Can not believe I did not see this when I purchased the car or when I was waxing it the first day I got it.

Is this a chareteristic of the metal flake or has the dealer done something to the car when they detailed it. If you do not look at it in direct blistering sunlight you can not see it.

Any comments would be great. It is going to the dealer for another problem on Monday.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:24 PM
SB Track

These are commonly known as "swirl marks". Since you don't know what these are, I assume you're haven't been introduced to the standard procedure in order to avoid or minimize these. Most likely they came from your dealer, but it could have been from you as well. Basically, you'll need a lot of microfiber towels, and a lot of effort to keep these to a minimum. They are basically scratches to your clear coat, and there are many products that can help get rid of them, at least temporarily. Just look around the Detailing forum.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:00 PM
acrowder

Default Re: Paint

Appreciate the response but these are not swirl marks. I Have seen swirl marks before. Usually from some jack *** that does not know how to wax a car. I have had multiple cars where restoration paint jobs easily excedded 5K. These marks are under the clear coat!
Old 12-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you see the metal then it scratchs...
Old 12-11-2004, 05:54 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

acrowder,
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the same thing on the paint on my Ford Probe. The paint is actually cracking under the clear coat, but I have never heard of this on a Z...Common on the Probes (especially the black ones). Of course, the dirt on my car keeps the paint damage from showing too much. One of these days, I'm going to have to wash it after I'm done with the Z.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:04 PM
newtlicious

If you only notice these scratches in direct sunlight then I'm inclined to say that they aren't through the clearcoat. If you had that many scratches that were that deep you would certainly notice them under just about any lighting condition. I think what you are seeing is something called "cobwebbing" It is like swirl marks but more severe and usually indicates abuse of your paint over a short period of time. For example, swirl marks appear because there are thousands of tiny tiny scratches put into the paint over a lond period of time. Cobwebs appear because some idiot at the dealership washed your car with sand which puts in less scratches but each scratch is more severe. The good news is that cobwebbing is fairly easily fixed. I would call a good detailer in your area or look for one on www.autopia.org and have them take a look. I can buff cobwebs out and glaze/wax a car in an afternoon. Good luck!