Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Where's the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 02:22 PM
jkk4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Where's the oil?

Took my Z in for an oil change last week. It's a 2004 Touring with 9600 miles. Drove around for the next two days, then parked it on an incline in my driveway for a couple days. Went out the third day to start it up and WOW, clang clang clang go the valves. I know it's Christmas time but this noise was not bells to my ears! Shut if off ASAP, then waited a couple more days and same thing. It was like the oil was non-existant to lube my valves. This time, after maybe 20 secs, it calmed down. I then immediately drove to the local dealer very gingerly. They tried to duplicate but nothing! I said to leave it overnight, while it's cold to try again. They did, but this time on a level surface. I almost always keep it in my garage, where it is level. Well, we went to start it and it was about 24 degrees out here in CT. NOTHING!! They said it was probably because of being parked on an incline and the oil was not sitting in the valve area. So far, so good. Guess it's gotta be tough for someone living in a hilly area like S.F. for example. Anyone else run into this situation? VERY STRANGE to say the least...

jkk
Old 12-15-2004, 02:29 PM
tjhands

Yikes, I'm definitely not a mechanic, but that doesn't sound right at ALL. Regardless of the incline, that oil oughtta be sucked right up into the engine when you start it. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Z'd

the mechanic last week probably got distracted and never put more than 1 quart of oil in. When you took it in, you can bet they checked that immediately and probably added more VERY quickly.

With a proper fill of oil, the Z is not that sensitive to being parked on an incline.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:08 AM
jkk4

Originally posted by Z'd
the mechanic last week probably got distracted and never put more than 1 quart of oil in. When you took it in, you can bet they checked that immediately and probably added more VERY quickly.

With a proper fill of oil, the Z is not that sensitive to being parked on an incline.

Funny you should say that, cuz that's exactly what I think happened! Like I said, never heard of this problem before. Very strange......

jkk
Old 12-16-2004, 11:05 AM
roydiculous

You mean you never checked the oil level before taking it in???
Old 12-16-2004, 11:21 AM
350zluvr

I have noticed before with my 350Z and an '03 Maxima that after leaving the car parked on an incline, I have problems starting the car, but I think that is a different situation.

If proper amounts of oil were present in your oil pan, then you should not be experiencing this sort of problem.

I started doing my own oil changes after hearing all of these shocking dealership oil change stories. Now I know exactly how much oil is in my engine and am sure that the oil HAS been changed.