Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does taking TCS off really make a significant difference in acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:50 AM
BullishZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does taking TCS off really make a significant difference in acceleration?

Does it really make THAT much difference?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:55 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your a good driver, yeah it would. remember were talking about tenths and hundreths of a second here. but yeah, you need to chirp the tires a little bit, TCS would cut power when that happened and kill you. if you got a PERFECT launch, then you shouldnt peel at all and TCS would do nothing, but I guess its better to have it off if you cant do it perfectly.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:39 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to keep it off in good weather. It is a little more fun to drive and control. When I pull into my friends driveway (gravel on hill) with TCS on, the SLIP light always comes on and the first few times I did not realize it and had the throttle pressed more than needed because the TCS cuts power. When it realizes it is not slipping it and TCS stops the car really darts off. Very weird feeling, kinda like a nitrous kick.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:53 AM
BigZ

Default Where's the TCS Button?!?

I have a Touring model and have read the owner's manual several times which seems to say the TCS button is "Optional". I'm assuming the Touring model should have the button, however, the only one I can locate where the TCS button should be is the VDC button.

Turning on the ignition I see the VDC test, but no TCS.

What's the story guys?
Old 11-05-2002, 10:09 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Where's the TCS Button?!?

Originally posted by BigZ
I have a Touring model and have read the owner's manual several times which seems to say the TCS button is "Optional". I'm assuming the Touring model should have the button, however, the only one I can locate where the TCS button should be is the VDC button.

What's the story guys?
You have the touring with the 6MT so you get TCS and VDC, the button turns both on and off, on the Enthusiast the button is only for the TCS since we don't have VDC.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:09 AM
VandyZ

What's the story guys?
TCS is a component of VDC. TCS is on the lower models and VDC is on the higher models.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:10 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

What's the story guys?
The VDC button controls both. Can't have one without the other.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:04 PM
BigZ

Thanks guys..

For some reason I was assuming the TCS test ran before the car is started would indicate the status test for the TCS system, however, if it is being considered a part of the VDC system.. I'll buy that.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:52 PM
DIGItonium

I drive better with TCS off.... 2nd gear engages more smoothly.

My acceleration is also more smooth.

I suck driving a stick, but I was surprised how much easier the Z was with TCS OFF.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:44 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by djtonium
I drive better with TCS off.... 2nd gear engages more smoothly.

My acceleration is also more smooth.

I suck driving a stick, but I was surprised how much easier the Z was with TCS OFF.
That's interesting. Why would TCS have an effect on the gear change....anybody?
Old 11-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Zmeflyby

i can feel more power without the VDC..
Old 11-05-2002, 01:49 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perhaps it feels that the tires might be loosing traction and make quick adjustments that cause a bounce feel to it.

not sure, but next time its nice around here Im gonna try it.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:49 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by zwindsor
That's interesting. Why would TCS have an effect on the gear change....anybody?
This is interesting to me too. Anyone care to advise us on this?
Old 11-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Slareau02

The actualy gear change couldn't be affected. Not in this situation at least. The feeling is probaly the tires chirping which causes the TCS to either brake the rear tires or cut engine power, the latter of which I believe occurs in a straight line in the VDC paradigm. So basicaly after TCS cuts power the tires hookup and then TCS turns power back on. This can cause a sort of bog feeling when shifting under hard acceleration/throttle. This sort of phenomena is very evident in my BMW Z3. It can feel like someone turned a light switch on and off in your engine. Definatly not a natural feeling. This is the reason why turning off TCS "should" improve acceleration times.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:33 PM
navy-z

Default VDC sensing slip at 5K?

Noticed recently during moderate (not WOT) acceleration, the SLIP light comes on and the RPMs temporarily dip near 5K. I felt it in 1st and to a lesser degree in 2nd.

This was with VDC on. Will have to try it with VDC off to verify that it is the system inputting this control.

I was starting to think my car had a problem until I read this post. Will let you know.

BTW, what does the torque curve look like?
Old 11-05-2002, 03:47 PM
TRACK350z

On a track, you would definately turn tcs off. I dont think Formula cars use traction controll. So, i think if your a good driver it CAN make you slower.

Cool
Old 11-05-2002, 04:33 PM
D'oh

Actually, Formula 1 cars do (or did) use traction control, and are faster with it on. However their control algorithm is much more "on edge" than the algorithm on the Z. The traction/yaw control on F1 cars are basically trying to maximize the stability without interefering with speed, while the system on standard cars are geared toward safety, and will generally slow the car down when it approaches the limit of adhesion.

When I AutoX'd my Z I definitely noticed the VDC kicking in, and it did slow me down, but just a little. It made the car less easy to steer by using throttle input (difficult to power-oversteer). I've never had it kick in during straight line starts, but I usually try to be very easy on the clutch and typically do a rolling type start.

-D'oh!
Old 11-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Slareau02

Formula 1 cars also have a "launch mode" Which is pretty much like a perfect drag strip launch computer controlled. Very Sexy stuff.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:38 PM
dvlad

Originally posted by Slareau02
Formula 1 cars also have a "launch mode" Which is pretty much like a perfect drag strip launch computer controlled. Very Sexy stuff.
the european version of the E46 M3 SMG has this feature as well. It will keep the revs at 4K and modualte the throttle for maximum grip. Now thats sexy

to bad the U.S. version sets the limit to 1.8K
Old 11-05-2002, 05:44 PM
Slareau02

Ah but you only have 30 of those launches per clutch you have in the car. Once you do 30 the car won't go launch mode anymore until either the clutch is changed or the counter is reset which I'de assume is really hard to do. But yes I agree, Very Sexy indeed.

Quick Reply: Does taking TCS off really make a significant difference in acceleration?