Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Clear Bra Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 02:41 AM
butterwm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Questions

I just picked up my Z this week and was looking into doing the clear bra. The dealership gave me a place they recommended but when I went to talk to them they told me they were not doing them. They said there were some problems with the clear bras. The major problem was that eventually, it will need to be removed once you get enough rock chips and dings in it. Once this happens and the bra is removed, there will be a noticable difference between your paint color as far as normal fading. I was just curious if anyone out there has heard anything similar and how everyone feels about the clear bras.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:02 AM
Cashburn

I've heard just the opposite on here and other forums. I'll sit back and see if anyone offers evidence to support it though.

I'm scheduled to have it done Jan. 8th so I'm watching...
Old 12-30-2004, 05:25 AM
SvR350z

I dont see how there could be a difference in paint color after the bra is removed.
Its invisible thus light shines right through it. Sunlight is what fades a cars paint to begin with so if its reaching the car it would have to age the paint the same.
Ive got the clear bra and have had it for about a 1000 miles on my car.
While I think that there are some minor flaws with it Its better than letter rocks blast the front of your car.
Ask around, The people without clearbras are having their cars painted after about 3 to 5k miles.
Im sure my car wont have that problem. I have to say for some reason that installer sounds fishie. Id make sure I went with a professional 3m clear bra installer. Thats what i did.
Good luck
Old 12-30-2004, 07:53 AM
JoneZZZ

I am with SvR350z on this one.....I also would make sure I am dealing with an authorized applicator(or one who knows the product).

Here is a 3M FAQ sites to check out(also has a link to find authorized applicators)....

3M
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/_...8916/_l/en_US/
Old 12-30-2004, 12:58 PM
butterwm

As far as the 3M I went to their web site there is one installer in Tucson. When I called him last week he told me the price would be $400 - $500 but no more then $500. He said to bring the cat by and he would look at it to give me the exact price. When I showed up in my new ZR - he comented on how expensive of a car it was and the price all of a sudden became $750 not negotiable. What did all of you out there pay?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:29 PM
JoneZZZ

My installer was recommended by a "350Z friendly" dealer Parts Mgr........installed price was in the $400 range.....I had the bumper, hood, and mirrors done.....
Old 12-30-2004, 01:42 PM
ironviet

putting the clear bra on will clearly protect the paint but at the same time there will be discolorations if it is removed down the road. any expert who claims that it won't, have them put it in writing with their guarantee and some form of replacement if it does discolor. especially the clear bras with uv protection. though it is clear the amount of sun-rays the paint is exposed to differs from the unprotected paint. go ahead and ask any real professional,, they will tell you the same and beat around the bush. but if you ask me, i would still get it and replace it again if the bra is ever damaged. much better than paying for a repaint.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:57 PM
willpower

I paid $450 for the hood and bumper.....best thing i ever did, I should have done it with my 03 super black but just didnt get around to it....result bumper and hood full of rock chips,My advice get it done ASAP,but yeah find a good installer who knows what he's doing.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:02 AM
BIGDAWG75

Default 3 m clear bra

Hey guys, i've had mine on since Feb.04. Almost 12,000 miles. I was told to wash and wax car just like it wasn't there. I was also told it will not discolor the paint because it actually breathes. I had my hood, front end and side mirrors done. $400 dollars, best money i've spent. You can't even see it when it's wet. If you don't install you will get chipped up. I have seen several cars with tons of chips and some serious bug juice that has eaten into the clear. Neighbor's cat decided to climb up front one day to lay on the top. Needless to say the cat took a nice long ride in my Titan to someone else 's neighborhood. If the bra weren't there to absorb the claw scratches, i might be guilty of more than just giving a *!#*! cat a ride. So they have my vote!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:34 AM
ANXIOUZ

The one bad side about not being the first owner of a car.....my 03 Super Black's front end is toast. Dam that paint is cheap.

My advice, if you have a new car go do it NOW. It's pretty much too late for me. If (when) I replace the bumper I'll have it done immediately.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Lonerider

So I just bought a Z around a month ago with 32k miles. I noticed a couple of little chips on the front but nothing too noticeable. Would you guys suggest that I go ahead and get the clear bra(quoted at $595 installed ) put on after 32k miles?

I'm thinking that since the color is silverstone silver, the chips I do get will not be that noticeable if I decide to go without the clear bra.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Premier Mobile

butterwm - it sounds like the guys were you speaking with aren't familiar with clearbras at all. Today's new technology film allows UV rays to penetrate the film to prevent the film from fading at a different rate than the paint. This is why we always recommend washing and waxing the film as you would with the entire car. We have removed film that's been on cars for 2-3 yrs and never had any 2 tone fading issues.

As for the company who quoted you $400-$500 for the clearbra, it doesn't sound like they've even worked on the car before. Why would they need to see the car before they could quote you? Either they've never worked on the car before or they're just upselling.......time to move onto another company.

Here are some pics of cars we wrap on a daily basis:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=104476
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Questions-113-1388_img.jpg  
Old 01-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Premier Mobile

Lonerider - regardless of the existing chips on the car, having the clearbra on the car will keep the chipping from getting worse.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Premier Mobile

Cost of a clearbra will depend on local competition as well as the quality of installation. Companies charging a lot less than the more expensive ones can be new to the industry or may not have as much experience.....to gain experience by attracting customers with their lower than average prices.
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Questions-113-1383_img.jpg  
Old 01-01-2005, 09:40 AM
jim-n-cathy

I had a Llumar film clear bra installed the second day I owned the Z. I paid $675 for bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and door edges. Llumar offers a nationwide lifetime guarantee. The film comes pre-cut specifically to fit the Z from a computer-generated pattern, like the one below. I love it, and would do it again in a heartbeat. -- Jim
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Questions-clear-bra-pattern.jpg  
Old 01-01-2005, 09:40 AM
jim-n-cathy

Also, I had the headlights done -- with 30mil film.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:40 PM
butterwm

Premier Mobile - Thanks for your response on the clear bra questions I have - you have been very helpful! I looked at that link and you named a few other brands that I didn't even know existed. I am trying to find another installer in Tucson or worst case Phoenix (which is 2 hours away). What other company(s) do you recommend besides 3M and do they have web sites where I can look to find certified installers in my area?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Premier Mobile

Email sent