Insurance... [venting]

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:32 PM
R.J._Vancouver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance... [venting]

Originally posted by marhot
R.J._Vancouver; see kcobean's post

In the US an individual can’t arbitrarily file a claim against my insurance policy.

And I'm sure there are 'scamming chicks' in Kansas, but none ride in my Z.

kcobean; no it wasn't a joke. If that's the 'law' in Canada, it's stupid.
Oh, sorry then I misunderstood. I don`t know how insurance works in the U.S., but here it differs greatly between provinces.
I don`t think that would be possible here in B.C. Mainly because of the fact that it was an aggrivation of an old injury. Here the provincial government controls the only insurance company.
They have a "no crash, no cash" policy. Their idea is if there is no damage to the car, you could`nt be injured seriously enough to put in a claim.
You see people walk away from horrible crashes without a scratch all the time, then you see some guy screaming "whiplash" from getting tapped in a parking lot.

Last edited by R.J._Vancouver; 01-05-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Lerxst

Public insurance is run by the provincial government.

I think it may be possible to buy back the claim and have it removed from my record. That would be based on how much it would cost them... and if it's nothing... it should cost nothing.

Either way it's pretty messed up... hence my initial venting...

But only I pay $1500 CDN ($1200USD) per year for insurance, so I guess that gives them the right to be messed up...
Old 01-06-2005, 12:11 PM
R.J._Vancouver

Originally posted by Lerxst

I think it may be possible to buy back the claim and have it removed from my record. That would be based on how much it would cost them... and if it's nothing... it should cost nothing.

But only I pay $1500 CDN ($1200USD) per year for insurance, so I guess that gives them the right to be messed up...
They have that policy here. If you have a claim put against you, if you have the money, you have the option of paying the cost of the claim yourself. In the long run, it`s definately cheaper.
I pay $2000 CDN a year, and I have a 43% discount for safe driving.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not in any way instigating here, but don't Canadians pay something like 50% in income taxes, a big portion of which goes to support the socialized health care system? I thought I had heard that from a programmer I used to work with who was here on a Visa. If so, that makes your annual cost a whole lot higher than $1200/annual, doesn't it?

Again, not picking, just curious about a place I've never been.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Lerxst

Originally posted by kcobean
I'm not in any way instigating here, but don't Canadians pay something like 50% in income taxes, a big portion of which goes to support the socialized health care system? I thought I had heard that from a programmer I used to work with who was here on a Visa. If so, that makes your annual cost a whole lot higher than $1200/annual, doesn't it?

Again, not picking, just curious about a place I've never been.
True... taxes are higher... mine are around 30%. The only comparison I can attest to is that my buddy moved from here to Rodondo Beach, California. He says after getting his paycheque and paying for everything to live comparatively (taxes, health insurance, food, gas, etc...) It's a little cheaper down there.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:27 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True... taxes are higher... mine are around 30%. The only comparison I can attest to is that my buddy moved from here to Rodondo Beach, California. He says after getting his paycheque and paying for everything to live comparatively (taxes, health insurance, food, gas, etc...) It's a little cheaper down there.
30% isn't too bad. Not much worse than my taxes as a matter of fact. Thanks for the info.