Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Not very excited with my new Z

Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Mantis3024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not very excited with my new Z

After tomorrow, I've had my Z for a week. Ever since I got it, I never got that feeling of excitement or joy most people get when they buy a new car. I guess it might be because I never anticipated getting it. I just got up one day and decided to get one. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, great can and everything, but I'm just not feeling it. I was just wondering if any of you guys were excited when you first got it, or does the appreciation develop over time.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Zexy

Wow, well..

You should consider your options before you make a choice. Return it, you just lost bunch of money. Not smart. No diss intended.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:40 PM
chachi999999999

Default Re: Not very excited with my new Z

Originally posted by Mantis3024
After tomorrow, I've had my Z for a week. Ever since I got it, I never got that feeling of excitement or joy most people get when they buy a new car. I guess it might be because I never anticipated getting it. I just got up one day and decided to get one. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, great can and everything, but I'm just not feeling it. I was just wondering if any of you guys were excited when you first got it, or does the appreciation develop over time.
Did you get a stick? That makes a world of difference. I got a stick, and drove an automatic and noticed that the stick was alot more fun, especially when you are going 60 in 6th gear and drop it into 3rd and watch that thing goes like nobodys business. When I first got mine, I wasn't too excited, but now I absolutely love it, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't like it in another week or so, you can give it to me.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Tsex On 19s

ur rich if u could wake up 1 mourning and say: "hey, i think i'll get a 30k+ car for no reason. oh well let me get my check book"

350Z! Love it! Learn it! Live it!
Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Mantis3024

Yeah I got the 6speed. It is a lot of fun to drive and I love the car a lot, but I was expecting to get that feeling you get when you get your drivers license or first car. Right now, its just another car to me. Am I the only one who feels this way?? :/
Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 PM
DBZ

What were you driving prior to the z?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:51 PM
seanrulz

Hmm. Are you still breaking the car in? I guess not because your statement sounds like you already drove it quite hard. Just wait a litttle more until it breaks in, and after first oil change, it might be a little better IMO.
I don't know, Z is my first car at age 20 (now 22) and it was just a blast to drive. Maybe I got a wrong car to start with. I'll never be able to drive a sedan (I mean like accord or camry) or slower sports car than this. And if I want anything faster and better, I'd have to spend a lot more.
Ahh... for the first car, Z is NOT the way to go. You just get spoiled too much
Old 01-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Genji

Well... could be your age... how old are you?
As I get older, 'things' don't get me that excited anymore...
I love my Z, and I'm glad I got it, but you're right about it not
being the same as my first car, a 1969 250 cubic inch slant six
Plymouth Valiant!
Old 01-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Mantis3024

Originally posted by DBZ
What were you driving prior to the z?
I traded in my 01 mustang convertible in for the Z. Besides that, I have a Porsche 944 and an Integra GS-R. I drove the GS-R for my daily driver before the Z. For the fun factor, Id say the gsr is just as much fun to drive as the Z but the Zs looks and performance outdoes it by a lot. My 944 is the best handling car Ive ever driven but not as fun to drive as the Z. In a way, the Z puts the best of both cars into one.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 PM
ohw

Since your driver's lic and the 1st car, have you ever experienced such "feeling"? If so, what was it?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:08 PM
DBZ

Sometimes a less capable vehicle is more fun to drive on surface streets because you reach the vehicles limits sooner and it is easier to master. To have fun in the Z ( as in pulling crazy stunts, etc.) would take a lot more effort because it is more planted and stable than a lot of vehicles.

Some of the most fun I have had was in my friends, '88 240sx and my old '00 Xterra. I would hop every single curb I could find in the Southbay with that thing. If you drive around the Southbay or around USC campus and see a whole bunch of black tire marks on the center divider islands, it probably was left by my Xterra back in the day.

There is still a patch of grass by USC's Levy Library missing from some of the donuts I did on the grass with the Xterra. Too bad they put up a metal chain guardrails up now. Boo!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:11 PM
ch@mp

WHOA, i can't believe my ears! i was so excited when i picked up the Z and drove it off the lot, and for the longest time couldn't believe it was finally mine... To this day, as i park the car and walk, i find myself turning around for that one last glance... I realize it's not a ferrari or even close to any supercar, but IMO, its my poormans porsche... maybe your just in shock
Old 01-13-2005, 07:12 PM
MovingViolation

I never really got excited over it. Its just a car/transportation. Now if you had just got a new girlfriend with a sweet rack and a tight....well that's something to get excited over.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:14 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

sumtin quite not right here.......sounds fishy.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Lonerider

Default Re: Not very excited with my new Z

Originally posted by Mantis3024
You're not alone man. I sort of feel the same way, however I think I rushed my decision on what car to buy and probably should have been a little more patient. Plus my Dad influenced me alot since he has a 280z.

I remember being really excited when I my Dad lent me the 280z for highschool and when I first got my integra gsr though! haha

Oh well,
I'm very happy with the Z but just don't feel attached to it like I do to my integra. Maybe I'm just getting old haha (I'm 23) or may its just too good to be true!

Seriously though, I've never been apart of a car forum except the Z forums where the owners complain or express non-entusiastic feelings torwards their car so much. Its sort of discouraging

Last edited by Lonerider; 01-13-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:19 PM
hypeiv

Originally posted by DBZ
Sometimes a less capable vehicle is more fun to drive on surface streets because you reach the vehicles limits sooner
That is very true on my old car I pushed it to the limits everytime I took it out b/c it was so much slower than the Z. If I tried to do the same thing in the Z I would kill myself.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Mantis3024

I glad Im not the only one whos not feeling it. Im 18 but not the typical 18 year old,. Don't start making assumptions. Im in college and landed a job that pays very well. I stopped with that racing and redlining stuff a while ago and now I drive conservatively so I guess its keeping me from enjoying the car for what it is. Now I think I screwed myself over by getting the Z at such an early stage in life.

DBZ, you're right, less capable cars are more fun, in its own way. My best friend has a 240. You can get those things sideways sooo easily and controlling it is a breeze. Had lots and lots of fun from it
Old 01-13-2005, 07:27 PM
ch@mp

More power to you Mantis, for going out and getting it on your own. Now if your parents bought you the ride and you were like, "Eh" then that would be different... perhaps, the fact is you are young, seems mature and has a good paying job the money you spent on the Z, maybe be not worth it in your opinion thus the lack of enthusiasm... You're right about one thing
<<<Now I think I screwed myself over by getting the Z at such an early stage in life. >>> I for one always believed that cars should upgrade for every new purchase. Next car for you M3?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Mantis3024

I can start to see that some of the excitement people get comes from the history of it. I know some people have followed the Z series since it first came out and are die-hard enthusiasts. I'll probebly never appreciate it or see it the way they do cuz I don't know anything about it. Its like they ran the full mile and I just jumped in at the finish line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not very excited with my new Z