Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

TRACK VERSION Can't go on track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:20 PM
kelvin1704

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRACK VERSION Can't go on track?

I have a 350z for some time but never bring it to track. I am planning thou. However, when i go to a car mechanic, he mention that my Z, a track version, are not suitable to go on track without minor adjustment.

He said that my original tired are not meant for track. In two lap, my tire would be exchausted (my tired has been use for 14000KM).

Then he mention my disc brake is not suitable. He said its not properly ventilated point it to a sample which has hole on it.

So is my brembo brake sufficient or i have to change it? or I have been rip?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Unless you are an Andretti or similar and will be burning up the track you should be fine, maybe just get some track pads for your brakes.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:36 PM
kelvin1704

what is Andretti ? sorry man
Old 01-30-2005, 08:41 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine.

Prep your car by making sure EVERYTHING is in working order, safety equipment, fluids are topped off, etc.

Make sure you are running a racing pad, as you will quickly wear out the stock Brembo pads.

Then go out and take your time, learning your abilities and your car.

Best of luck.

... and Andretti is a professional racecar driver, westpak is telling you to not going out and go drive like a pro. Make sense?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:16 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

things I've heard from drivers who are better than me and have driven stock Z's on the track:

the power steering fluid will boil

the stock clutch gets mushy feeling

car overheats because of stock radiator, thermostat, oil pan, lack of oil cooler

differential oil/fluid gets too hot

stock brakes obviously fade, brembos don't, but regardless need racing brake pads

stock tires don't provide tons of grip at racing temps

stock brake fluid loses efficiency

stock LSD isn't very effective

My hasn't been tracked in stock form so I can't comment on anything. I'm just stating what I've heard
Old 01-30-2005, 09:55 PM
samw1978

the mechanic's just trying to sell you stuff...
your car is fine
Old 01-30-2005, 09:57 PM
raceboy
Banned

It will just fall apart in 18 months!! LOL
Old 01-31-2005, 03:57 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your mechanic is right. Just some minor tweaking will make your first track day much more pleasurable.

Change to DOT-4 brake fluid and get some track rated pads. Your tires are fine. I know people who have 8-10 track days on the stock tires.

Good luck and have fun out there.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:53 AM
FairladyZ

Guys the mechanic is there to help you not sell you things. Its just precautions.

Your brakes are fine, but like mentioned get new pads. Also where is your tread measured against the tire wear bar? Maybe for safety you dont have enough tread on your tires?

Off Topic:
What is the recomended DOT brake fluid? Also notice any differences with changing it? Will a non tracked car benefit?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:41 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

DOT4 brake fluid is the recommended fluid for track events. tghat is what most of us that track a lot use. there are different brands, and we all chose different ones for different reasons (prices, name, things like that).

brake fluid should be changed, and at least bleed your brakes often. this will keep adding new fluid in and slowly change out the old stuff. i typically tracked my car (either tracks or autocross)2 or 3 times a month during the summer, and would bleed my brakes before every race, and flush the entire system once a month. but i am picky like that. i would change my oil before every race, and change the transmission fluid every other .

i never noticed a big difference on the street. i was using regular fluid and stock brakes. then switched to DOT 4. (later on then switched to a BBK and dot 5.1). for stock brakes (but track pads) and DOt4 there wasn't a real difference on the street. this is because the higher the dot #, the higher the boiling temp, and this temperature is never reached on the street. this is the same as racing pads, they never fully heat up on the street.

so in the short, a non track car will not see a difference from going to DOT 4, 5, or 5.1
Old 01-31-2005, 06:17 AM
FairladyZ

sweet thanks!
Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 AM
afr0puff

OK, if you change the brake fluid to DOT4 and change the pads to track pads, how does this affect day to day street performance?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:21 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

dot 4 won't make much of a difference on the street. you won't really notice a difference

full track pad are bad for the street. They do not start braking very well until they get warmed up, and they will not get to that level on the street. they are also noisier and create more dust.

there are many types of pads out there that are great for dual duty. good for a few track days, but also still safe to use on the street. i used to use EBC green stuff pads. they worked very well for the dual duty roll (daily driver, weekend racer).
Old 01-31-2005, 10:58 PM
kelvin1704

Thanks. Point noted.

Will change to 4.1 dot brake fuel.

Just to double confirm, the pad is the one that u can see the brembo brake is attach to. Meaning track version are like those with holes?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:20 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

FYI-

dot 3, 4 and 5.1 are all compatible with each other. dot 5 might not be. please check with your brake manufacturer before using dot 5. (DOT 5 is silicone based, normal brake fluid is Poly Glycol Ether)

here is a good discription

SILICONE BASED FLUID
Fluids containing Silicone are generally used in military type vehicles and because Silicone based fluids will not damage painted surfaces they are also somewhat common in show cars.

Silicone-based fluids are regarded as DOT 5 fluids. They are highly compressible and can give the driver a feeling of a spongy pedal. The higher the brake system temperature the more the compressibility of the fluid and this increases the feeling of a spongy pedal.

Silicone based fluids are non-hydroscopic meaning that they will not absorb or mix with water. When water is present in the brake system it will create a water/fluid/water/fluid situation. Because water boils at approximately 212º F, the ability of the brake system to operate correctly decreases, and the steam created from boiling water adds air to the system. It is important to remember that water may be present in any brake system. Therefore silicone brake fluid lacks the ability to deal with moisture and will dramatically decrease a brake systems performance.

POLY GLYCOL ETHER BASED FLUIDS
Fluids containing Poly glycol ethers are regarded as DOT 3, 4, and DOT 5.1. These type fluids are hydroscopic meaning they have an ability to mix with water and still perform adequately. However, water will drastically reduce the boiling point of fluid. In a passenger car this is not an issue. In a racecar it is a major issue because as the boiling point decreases the performance ability of the fluid also decreases.

Poly glycol type fluids are 2 times less compressible than silicone type fluids, even when heated. Less compressibility of brake fluid will increase pedal feel. Changing fluid on a regular basis will greatly increase the performance of the brake system.

FLUID SPECIFICATIONS All brake fluids must meet federal standard #116. Under this standard is three Department of Transportation (DOT) minimal specifications for brake fluid. They are DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 (for fluids based with Polyalkylene Glycol Ether) and DOT 5 (for Silicone based fluids).

MINIMAL boiling points for these specifications are as follows:

Dry Boiling Point Wet Boiling Point
DOT 3 401ºF 284º F
DOT 4 446º F 311º F
DOT 5 500º F 356º F
DOT 5.1 518º F 375º F

oh, and PS, becareful with brake fluid..... it works as a great paint remover.

for more information regarding brake fluids, and brakes in general, see this page

Brake Fluid Link

Last edited by mr2fasterthanyo; 02-01-2005 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:03 AM
dnguyent

Default Re: TRACK VERSION Can't go on track?

Originally posted by kelvin1704
I have a 350z for some time but never bring it to track. I am planning thou. However, when i go to a car mechanic, he mention that my Z, a track version, are not suitable to go on track without minor adjustment.

He said that my original tired are not meant for track. In two lap, my tire would be exchausted (my tired has been use for 14000KM).

Then he mention my disc brake is not suitable. He said its not properly ventilated point it to a sample which has hole on it.

So is my brembo brake sufficient or i have to change it? or I have been rip?
I went out for my first track event with a completely stock Enthusiast. I was aware of the deficiencies, and was easy on the brakes, and just focused on learning the track, taking the proper line, and doing everything smooth. I had a great time, and still went quite fast for a beginner.

You could still have a good time without spending a fortune. Just do what the other posters have mentioned, and you'll be fine for your first 3 or 4 track events (proper brake pads and fluid).
Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Zcool

Your mechanic might be right about the tires. 14,000 miles on stock tires and they could be be worn pretty low.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Tex Willer

your mechanic is right

you can go on track if you want, you will destroy the car if you track anywhere near the car limits.

to be safe like other have mentioned, you might want to change brake fluid, pads and brake lines. Also you might want to change your engine tranny and diff fluids to 100% synth. Rotors should be fine.

Last edited by Tex Willer; 02-01-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Blue Liquid

I'm no pro, but in the Z I've done Lime Rock Park, Summit Point twice, and Pocono East and I've never experienced overheating or boiling power steering fluid. Three of those four events were in 90 degree heat. I run Motul 600 brake fluid (very high boiling point) and dedicated racing pads, along with R compound tires. My stock enthusiast brakes have been replaced with Stoptech big brakes, and they haven't faded yet with this set-up. So as for boiling power steering fluid and engine overheating, i'm just not sure. I suppose it could happen, but it hasn't happened to me.

Quick Reply: TRACK VERSION Can't go on track?