Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

In the market to buy a Z. Just a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:05 PM
cvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market to buy a Z. Just a few questions..

hello. I registed here last year because I was in the market of getting a Z. At the time I had a celica GT. While I was shopping around I stumbled on a pre-owned celica GT-S. the monthly payment seemed very reasonable. so i decided to 'settle' and grab one. well....it's been a year and i've been longing for a Z. I recently got a job offer that pays well over than what i make now so again i'm back in the market to get rid of my celica.

one problem. this new job is 70 miles away. commuting is going to be harsh and after reading about tire feathering threads i got a bit concerned. I was planning on buying a 'pre-owned' Z with low miles so an 03'-04' seemed to be my choices.

my question is. is there any other problems i should look out for besides tire feathering and is there any way to reconcile these problems either by DIY or warranty?

thanks for all your help. this place is amazing. one of the best Z sites i've been on.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:28 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really hard to say if this will be an issue for your particular car (assuming you buy one) since it has shown up so intermittently for the '03 and '04 MY cars. I can't imagine that the '05's will still exhibit this behavior considering how much money this has cost Nissan in tires and free alignments in the last 2 years. As for other issues, there are a few, but none serious, and name a car that doesn't have some issues. Some people report that changing to non-OEM tires and a GOOD alignment has been the fix for them. Some people have done this and still have feathering. Even the fix is very hit or miss.

The thing I'd be worried about is that you'll be putting 35000 miles/year on your sports car making a 140 mile round trip commute 250 days/year (5daysX50weeksX140miles=35,000).

That's 116 tanks of gas (assuming 300 miles to a tank), 2 sets of tires, 10 oil changes, and one major service per year! Yikes! I think in your shoes, I'd buy a Hybrid. Good luck man.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
cvt

Originally posted by kcobean

The thing I'd be worried about is that you'll be putting 35000 miles/year on your sports car making a 140 mile round trip commute 250 days/year (5daysX50weeksX140miles=35,000).

this was my concern as well...now that i can truly afford one...it might be unwise to buy one for the reasons above.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:44 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer is quite simple, your Z needs to be your pleasure/weekend car, and you need a commuter car! Sports cars are a damn expensive hobby!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:55 PM
cvt

2 car payments? hmmm....
Old 02-13-2005, 11:58 PM
tractng

cvt,

Driving the Z for that much miles a day is not worth it. I have owned the car almost 11months now. Its almost 13k miles and I don't drive much.

In your situations, its better to get a civic for the long distant drive.

Tony
Old 02-14-2005, 02:24 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the car for a year and put only 10k miles on it and it's already racked up funds as far as gas and tires...mods..etc.

Some people get away with this car as an everyday driver but I can't imagine putting THAT many miles on the car and have it as your only means of transportation.

If you can do it? power to you...but expect some sacrifices.

I was just a little too passionate to settle for an average commuter car.
best of luck
Old 02-14-2005, 03:17 AM
FairladyZ

If he plans on keeping the car why not? I am a college student and put alot of miles on my car. Hell I took a trip to colorado in my Z, and put over 5000 miles on it. Its was a great car for that.

Just poped in DVD's and I was set.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 AM
cvt

reality sucks...lol

my main concern was the mileage...and now it looks like it will keep me from getting a Z. it's too bad since i really love the car.

just wondering how much has everyone spent on maintinence and repairs? just trying to figure where i'd be in a year.

there seem to be a lot of Zs for 22-23K with low miles...again i don't know if it is wise getting an 03'-04' with tire feathering AND having to commute so much.

of course the second option is to keep the celica as a commuter and use the Z as a weekend. but two car payments and two insurance payments are a bit steep...how much do you guys pay for full coverage? i'm 27 years old.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:35 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

The only "penalty" I see for using the Zzzzz on a dailey basis is tire wear & Z tires are expensive. But the engine is, from what I've read, near bullitt proof and gas milage is in the 20s. Maintenance is no more than any other car from my exp.

I'd get an 04, though....................less probability of feathering & other issues.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:35 PM
zownz

one more thing 2 consider is the problem with feathering...look up thread=/
Old 02-14-2005, 05:45 PM
TheLex

If tire feathering is such a big concern, why not get the adjustable camber arms? Sure they're like almost $900, but in the long run is it not worth it? Is everyone having feathering or only some? I thought the problem was especially prevelant on lowered Z's?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:19 PM
zownz

Originally posted by TheLex
If tire feathering is such a big concern, why not get the adjustable camber arms? Sure they're like almost $900, but in the long run is it not worth it? Is everyone having feathering or only some? I thought the problem was especially prevelant on lowered Z's?
not really..on stock z's you get 2 see the feathering after a few 1000 miles..anywhere between 3-9k....it is a recall from nissan...also the car tends 2 pull 2 the right due 2 wrong camber adjustments from the factory..thats what i think...theres this long thread about that...check it out...some ppl got it worse than others...yeah 900 is worth it...but...if its a factory mistake...and ur payin 30k(depending on the model)...why would you have 2 pay even more 2 get a car 2 perform the way it should if its brand new
Old 02-14-2005, 07:22 PM
DIE DIE DIE

go for it man! Only thing is if you comute that much you might want to switch out the suspension..gets kinda bumpy on the freeway at times..
Old 02-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive about 40 miles to work each day and I plan to do it in the Z. I also plan on taking long trips, vacations, etc. in it when I get it.

Hell, within the first month I'm driving out ot Oklahoma w/ it. 1300 miles one way.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:06 PM
cvt

well...some good news.....i told my current boss about my new job offer and he gave me a raise. he didn't match what the other job offered but it's good enough not to have to commute 70 miles.

so 900 for caber arms on top of the insurance and monthly payment? i didn't realise owning a Z could be this expensive.

by the way i don't mind a rough ride. my celica has aftermarket sway bars, struts, and strut bars...so i'm used to a bumpy commute.

i was up for spending at least 450-500/mo plus insurance...but with tire issues and modifications...this could get really costly.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:24 PM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by cvt
well...some good news.....i told my current boss about my new job offer and he gave me a raise. he didn't match what the other job offered but it's good enough not to have to commute 70 miles.

so 900 for caber arms on top of the insurance and monthly payment? i didn't realise owning a Z could be this expensive.

by the way i don't mind a rough ride. my celica has aftermarket sway bars, struts, and strut bars...so i'm used to a bumpy commute.

i was up for spending at least 450-500/mo plus insurance...but with tire issues and modifications...this could get really costly.
You dont have to modify your car.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:26 PM
cwerdna

I'd still try to get a ride in a Z on the roads (on an 03 or 04 if that's what you'll be getting) that you'll be commuting on. I never realized the roads here in Nor Cal (where I grew up) were so bad until I moved back with my Z. Out of my 25 mile one way drive to work, the last 7-8 miles are really harsh. In WA, you never have a stretch THAT bad for more than 1/2 mile at a time.

Hmm, I'd personally stay away from an 03 MY car. It seems like there were just too many issues w/them and who knows what else might go wrong. If you're going to get used, get an 04 or 04.5. My 04 at almost 13K miles doesn't have the cupping and feathering on the inner edge of the tires (yet). I do have VERY light feathering on the outer edges of the fronts though.

It's unclear if the 04.5 really has the "Euro" suspension that's a little softer (I haven't ridden in one) and if it really is free of the feathering probs.

Also, I'm sure you've probably seem a ton of (manual) transmission complaints on here (grinding, needing new trannies, etc.). The automatic (don't shoot me) seems reliable so far.

Gas mileage on the Z isn't so bad, but it's nowhere close to what econoboxes get and is at least 2-3 mpg worse than my 02 Max from my measurements.

Not sure how long your commute will be now, but I don't really recommend the Z as a long distance car. The ride harshness and noise will get to you. When I made the >500 mile drive (one way) to Vegas from SJ, I took my Maxima. There was no way I'd take the Z.

However, if the drive is full of twisties , that can totally make up for the cons.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:38 AM
zownz

i say get the z..the feathering problem will be taken care of by the dealer...i would also recomend 2 get you like a used civic...2 get you to work and back..30k miles a yr is a crapload..=/...IMO...but again...its just me...remember when your asking for an opinion you will get responses from diff class of ppl...some that afford the car easy..some that have 2 earn it like yourself..personally i had 2 earn mine...and coming from the same page as you...thats what i would do...gl w your new Z tho...you'll love it..
Old 02-15-2005, 08:02 AM
cvt

thanks for the support guys. this really helps. well it looks like my commute is down from 140 a day to 40 round trip. i would think a good alignment shop shold fix the feathering (probably not a dealership).

i really am seriously looking toward a Z and again there are great deals for as low as 22-23K on Zs with low miles. it seems that with the tranny problems i will have to settle for an auto (plus i live in l.a. and 17 miles could take 1.5 hous depending on the 405)...so you guys suggest 04 or 4.5 huh? hmmmm...

how much do you guys pay for insurance?

Quick Reply: In the market to buy a Z. Just a few questions..