Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

About to turn 16, about to buy a Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Sensation350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to turn 16, about to buy a Z

Yes yes I know i`m a young`n, don`t even start. Moving on.. I learned how to drive when I was 14 and drove all year while I was 15 [with parentals] in our piece of **** [1995 nissan pathfinder, nice car 10 years ago, given to me until I turn 16 so I can bang it up and what not]

my dad n I`ve been looking around at either a nissan 350z or a mazda rx-8. Now, the pathfinder is automatic transmission, but from what everyone`s been telling me, the automatic and manual don`t even compare in performance.

I need to know, is there a substantial difference in the z`s [i`m talking like automatic compared to 6-speed] I figure that manual would be faster, but the HP is the same, and my cousin drives a 911 turbo and he says that driving with stick is a pain in the *** in traffic, and the only time it`s fun is when you`re trying to race.

any input is appreciated
Old 02-17-2005, 04:55 PM
jun14scr

going from a pathfinder down to a smaller, faster, 350z is a big change. 6spd>manual. persoanlly, i'd wait till about 18 for a higher hp car and get something a little safer for you adjust to before making a huge jump in car types, powerranges.

tsx's are nice?

ps. i'm only 18, but still, i feel that if i had this car when i was 16, when i was much more immature, i would have wrecked it and received tickets out the wazoo.

my 2 cents.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Mantis3024

Manual all the way. Yeah it might be a ***** in traffic but its worth it. If you're too lazy to shift and clutch get a 99-04 mustang gt
Old 02-17-2005, 05:09 PM
BigMoeTaki42

I assume you mean straight line performance. In that respect, there probly won't be a big difference between manual or auto, unless you're racing someone from a roll. You should definitely get a stick though. It's a lot more fun, and it isn't too bad in traffic, especially once you get used to it. Unless there is horrible traffic every day around where you live, you'll be fine.

Last edited by BigMoeTaki42; 02-17-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can feel for the kid by wanting to get a Z at 16. My advice would be to be very careful with the Z. The 6mt is the way to go and it can be a pain to drive. Can be real pain when you talk on a cell.

But on the other hand...You would be the MAN if you macked the streets in a fly Z!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing how these teens can even afford a Z .....Well....some Daddy's got bigger pockets than others...LOL.

If you even have to question whether to go with the auto vs. manual, I'd ask if you are even ready to purchase a REAL sportscar?

Also, since you've been driving the Pathfinder, how experienced are you with driving a manual??

In my humble opinion, an auto tranny sportscar isn't much fun, unless it's a Vette....

Maybe consider a used Vette or Mustang??
Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 PM
wanderlust

I drive in southern californial traffic every day (as I have for over 10 years in manuals), and I wouldn't trade my 6 speed for anything!! Manual transmission for me, all the way.

If you have to ask if you'll hate driving a six speed in traffic, you will. Car guys who love shifting for themselves don't have to ask others for opinions.

You know in your heart what you want, so just pick it and go...no need to ask us.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:10 PM

You should probably find a friend or relative who has a powerful rear wheel drive car and borrow it, or take it out for the day to see just how different a 350Z is from a Pathfinder. Also, learn how to drive stick. Even if you don't buy a manual transmission Z, it can't hurt to know how to drive it in case you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to drive a manual transmission car. Also, if you plan on buying the RX-8 over the 350Z, DO NOT get the autotragic. It comes with a de-tuned version of the Renesis, and it is just plain old worthless in this trim. I usually don't like the idea of sixteen year olds getting sports cars because everyone makes mistakes and in a high powered rear wheel drive car the consequences are multiplied, but whatever. Also, good luck with the insurance.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 PM
MovingViolation

If I had had a car like the Z at the age of 16 I would have killed myself with it. I'm being completely serious.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:30 PM
wildone_106

Yea I never feel particularly at ease in the Z..Im sure its safe and all but sometimes dont feel that way
Old 02-17-2005, 07:34 PM
hypeiv

just make sure you take it easy. When I was 16 my friend got a new mustang cobra. He wasn't ready for it and eneded up flipping it about 5 times on the freeway. His parents punished him by replacing it with a GT (poor guy)...

I bumped into a college student once who had a TT 350z (never worked a day in his life)... some parents go a little crazy when they buy their kids cars... I could see giving your kid a Z if s/he was ready for it and you could afford it... but giving your kid a Z and paying for it to get a twin turbo????!! thats pretty crazy.

as far as stick vs auto... if your on the fence go stick. I drive an auto and don't regret it. I don't care what people think, but if you have an auto Z in high school your never going to hear the end of it.

The stick fanboys out there talk to us auto drivers as if driving a stick is rocket science but its not that hard, I learned in less than a day when I was your age and in about a month or two you won't even notice your doing it.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Me350Z

Sensation,

I would heed some of the advice on this post. It might save your life and others. I'm 25 and just bought a 2005 350ZR. This is my first rear wheel drive with manual. I used to drive a civic before this. But with no experience of rear wheel drive and how much power this car has I almost fish tailed out of control going into a 90 degree turn. Good thing I have quick reaction. The other time on the freeway with twists, I gunned it and almost lost control of my car for 1 sec.

I believed if I was 16 and had this car the way I drive, I would be dead or killed others. I'm serious. This car has power, respect it. I think at 16, an RSX manual isn't too bad.

Auto vs manual. I don't think you'll be stuck in traffic most of the time since you are still a student, so I would go with manual.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:55 PM
kvn8

i am excatly in ur shoes.. except i have the Z already..

and to tell yout he truth, 6sp is a bitchhh to drive sometimes.. ul for sure stall when u drive it but its def. worth it when u get use to it (im becomin good wit it)
Old 02-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Guys, try to stay on topic.

He wants to know whether to get a manual or auto and what the power differences will feel like, not whether or not he is going to wreck the car.

I say get the manual.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=110746

Last edited by nis350ztt; 02-17-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:23 AM
FairladyZ

The only way I would go back to a manual is if it was a toy and not a daily driver. I love the auto in this car.

I had an LS1 6spd for two years. My freakin clutch knee started to "pop or click" was a real pain in the azz. Could be they way I drove it though.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:05 AM
donricouga

Manual all the way. Its more fun. Plus, couple of my buddies wanted to drive my Z. I asked, can you drive stick ? They couldn't
Old 02-18-2005, 04:29 AM
Z04

in all honesty, if you have never driven a manual car at all, the Z is not a very good car to learn on. I would get a different manual car and get the shifting down first, then get the Z. Not trying to tell you not to get it since dad is footing the bill, just would rethink a manual if you have never driven one before
Old 02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
B-Unit

Originally posted by MovingViolation
If I had had a car like the Z at the age of 16 I would have killed myself with it. I'm being completely serious.
I second that.

Plus if you wait like 2-3 more years, there is going to be allot more cars out for the price of the z that will whoop in in hp, example, the new gen IS300. So id wait man, right now all the companies are in a hp war and everything is startng to come like sti's and evo's which are faster. Thats what i would do.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Shahrum

Originally posted by jun14scr

ps. i'm only 18, but still, i feel that if i had this car when i was 16, when i was much more immature, i would have wrecked it and received tickets out the wazoo.

my 2 cents.
+1 on that

I had a '99 v6 mustang when I was 16-18 and just got my Z. I paid all the payments on the mustang and I do the Z as well. Not just the fact that when you're young, you're more immature, but also for a 16 year old to be driving a practically $30,000 car seems a bit extreme. Unless you're paying for that on your own, you'll never truly appareciate the car.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:45 AM
milanista

I'm going to spare you with my opinion about parents buying 16 year olds with no driving experience a rwd sports car...On second thoughts, no, I'm not going to: I think your parents are crazy for even considering it. If/when you total the Z and get hurt doing it (hopefully not), they won't have anybody to blame but themselves. Oh yeah, and as someone else said on this thread, at 18 you're a lot more mature than when you're 16...Yeah, right...

Have your parents get you the 6 speed. This way, it'll take less time for you to total out your car and be off the road where you can possibly put someone else in danger.

Quick Reply: About to turn 16, about to buy a Z