Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New Potential Owner - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Potential Owner - Questions

Hey everyone, I am selling my current WRX weekend toy and I am looking to get a Z. So, if anyone wants a REALLY nice WRX (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4527931591)

Anyway, like most people I have narrowed my search down to a Z or an RX-8. I drove the RX-8 today, and wow, what a BEAUTIFUL car... with an absolutely gutless engine. So I think that seals the deal on the Z. I am a huge Nissan fan, so it's not like I needed much motivation. My daily driver is an '04 Xterra and I had an '03 Maxima 6-speed before that (along with several other Nissans in the past).

When looking at the Z I found that the manual transmission model didn't have enough leg room to work the clutch comfortably (I am 6'4") therefore I need to buy an auto. It's really against my better judgement to buy an auto sports car, but I feel I have no choice. Sooo, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the supposed rev-matching feature on the '05 autos and also how you feel about the manumatic feature in general? I test drove the car briefly but didn't really have a chance to use it "properly". Also, the auto seems to search for gears an awful lot. Does anyone have experience driving the auto in the mountains? Most of my recreational driving is done in the twisties and I don't want to get an annoying car for this purpose. How is the sport shift in this situation? Any feedback would be great. Right now I am looking at a Touring model with the auto. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Ivey

Did you drive an '05 manual or an '04? I have an '04 but just test drove an '05 and the new clutch takeup was much different. The new '05 clutch pedal movement has been reduced and the pressure needed is significantly less. Personally I like the way mine feels but an '05 might be easier for someone as tall as you. I haven't driven an automatic (I hope to never need to) so I can't help with those questions but if you really prefer a manual make sure you test an '05 first.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Camel

Good to know, thanks! I drove a manual about 6 months ago and it was an '04. I'll be sure to take a spin in an '05 before pulling the trigger on the '05 auto then. Being tall is nice in general, but when it comes to cars and shower heads not being high enough it's a real drag.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Built2shredZ

I got 6MT 350ZR and i'm 6'4"... fits me like a glove... might want to sit in one of those, plus with the roof down you got plenty of head room
Old 02-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Camel

Whoops, almost forgot my other question. The Touring I drove had the standard brakes and they worked well but were VERY grabby (maybe because they were so new or something, I don't know). I was wondering if anyone had feedback about this and if this was normal...?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:16 PM
FairladyZ

The 05's are just coming out, and car dealers still have 04's, so not alot of people with the 05 cars yet.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Camel

The convertibles look nice but really I dislike them in general. I'm just not into it and I don't like driving with the top down. My problem was with the space between the door and the steering wheel. There wasn't enough room for my leg to be able to work the pedal properly. BUT, if they have reduced the travel and possible location of the pedal for '05 it just might be allright... I should go back over after work and bug them to drive a manual...

EDIT - Didn't realize the 05's were that new. Must be why my search returned very little info. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:22 PM
ANXIOUZ

Nice WRX.

I'm around 6'1" and with proper seat adjustments and moving the steering column up a bit, I fit just fine. It's only when I have the seat too close that I have any problems. You sure you adjusted everything and still felt cramped? Bummer.

I hear the rev-matching is really nice in the 05's.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Camel

Yeah, I had the button pinned trying to get that extra inch of seat travel, but to no avail. The WRX has been a really fun car. It's very quick so the Z would take some getting used to as it was slower and the power band and delivery are very different (albeit pretty quick in it's own right). Granted, my WRX is a Stage 2 so it's not apples to apples. The RX-8 felt slllloooowww compared the WRX though. Too bad, because I love the styling and I was able to work the 6-speed with no problems.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Kray Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the RX 8 is good my only beef is why they were stupid in putting the 3-4 extra doors in the back. Never drove one but the doors really lost my intrest in that car. my .02cents
Old 02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Scott n Houston

I don't get this 'rev matching' in an auto tranny that still has a torque converter. What's to match? There's no fly wheel or clutch. It still runs through the converter, so there's no true matching.
Is there something I'm missing
Old 02-18-2005, 02:37 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try the manny tranny one more time and play around with seat provision. I'm 6' 2' and my son is 6' 4" .........neithor of us have a problem. Though body proportions will make a difference
Old 02-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Camel

I'll give the 05 manual another try. I just remember being uncomfortable when trying to work the clutch (always had my foot hovering over the pedal). Thanks for the responses! And yeah, that's why I was asking about the rev-matching thing. Doesn't make sense to me either. I was wondering if it was a gimmick or actually did something useful...
Old 02-18-2005, 05:43 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely would give it another shot. Like you, I'm 6'4" and I've learned to drive my '04 Track quite comfortably. The clutch does take a little getting used to, and you have to give your right foot time to become 'calibrated' to the brake pedal. Once you do though, you'll love the car. I drove both this and the RX-8, and having owned to different 2nd Gen RX-7's it was tough to break my loyalty to the rotary engine, but I don't regret it.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Camel

Good news, I drove a 6-speed '05 Performance model tonight and had none of the legroom issues with the clutch I remembered having before! Looks like it'll be a manual tranny. Now I need ti decide which one. I am thinking I might do the 35th if I can get a hold of one, otherwise a Performance or Touring. I would like the have the leather if possible... Thanks for the info guys, I'm glad I posted here or I would have ended up with the auto I'm sure.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:34 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on finding "the glove that fits your hand" so to speak. Make sure you introduce us to your car when you get it!